Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I know I'm late to the party, but I wanted to give this game a serious spin and found out that the ME campaign for II actually has shitton of updates/improvements for I content (additional regions, starting positions, unique building and even new units and mechanics). Like the Vampires having one completely new starting position, the blood kiss mechanic and access to some human ranged units. And none of this stuff is actually present in WH I, so you have to play the slow ass, cumbersome ME with turn times from hell to get access to it. Wtf, why? Are there any plans to update I with this stuff?
Are you crazy? Updating WH I would cost them money and time, and that is something a company that adamantly uses Denuvo, and screws up players, is unlikely to do.

Now imagine they would actually update WH I. WHat they would add into it... Obviously people who paid money are in distress when theirs lord or hero at 24 level is assassinated. We must add something that makes them only wounded and allow to return after only 6 turns or so. (This also means it's impossible to get rid of an AI wounding agent who would wreck your armies, because no mater what you do he ends only few turns out of action.)

You can alt tab and watch critical role videos, season 2 is actually nice, at least at start. You can also watch an educational video during turn time. On my PC turn time is under 30 second or so. I doubt it crossed over 3 minutes, but you can always murder some factions to speed things up.

For undead, they changed starting location of Kemler, and allowed him to have hideout in mountains. I think when you have blood kisses, they should restrict hiring new lords. You beat enemy faction leader twice and assassinate one enemy hero (actually wounding is enough), and you have enough blood kisses to get new leader. (And some interesting advantages, like crossbowmen, or immunity to attrition outside vampire territory.)

In current balance Mousilion and Kemler are murdering Bretonia, while Skaven are murdering Archeon. And AI is still retarded with colonizing ruins even when it forces theirs alies to war to get them back.

A horse of course

I know I'm late to the party, but I wanted to give this game a serious spin and found out that the ME campaign for II actually has shitton of updates/improvements for I content (additional regions, starting positions, unique building and even new units and mechanics). Like the Vampires having one completely new starting position, the blood kiss mechanic and access to some human ranged units. And none of this stuff is actually present in WH I, so you have to play the slow ass, cumbersome ME with turn times from hell to get access to it. Wtf, why? Are there any plans to update I with this stuff?
Are you crazy? Updating WH I would cost them money and time, and that is something a company that adamantly uses Denuvo, and screws up players, is unlikely to do.

Now imagine they would actually update WH I. WHat they would add into it... Obviously people who paid money are in distress when theirs lord or hero at 24 level is assassinated. We must add something that makes them only wounded and allow to return after only 6 turns or so. (This also means it's impossible to get rid of an AI wounding agent who would wreck your armies, because no mater what you do he ends only few turns out of action.)

You can alt tab and watch critical role videos, season 2 is actually nice, at least at start. You can also watch an educational video during turn time. On my PC turn time is under 30 second or so. I doubt it crossed over 3 minutes, but you can always murder some factions to speed things up.

For undead, they changed starting location of Kemler, and allowed him to have hideout in mountains. I think when you have blood kisses, they should restrict hiring new lords. You beat enemy faction leader twice and assassinate one enemy hero (actually wounding is enough), and you have enough blood kisses to get new leader. (And some interesting advantages, like crossbowmen, or immunity to attrition outside vampire territory.)

In current balance Mousilion and Kemler are murdering Bretonia, while Skaven are murdering Archeon. And AI is still retarded with colonizing ruins even when it forces theirs alies to war to get them back.

There's a script mod called "Turn time destroyer" or somesuch which runs a script and deletes minor factions a certain distance from your faction's start position. I've played a couple of ME campaigns using it and it made a big difference. By the time I reached those areas they were usually gone or I'd gotten bored with ME anyway. You can also edit the script to make it more/less aggressive or avoid specific factions. I suppose you could even have it delete ALL the Warhammer 2 factions in New World/Southland, though the map itself would be unchanged.

I'd also love a campaign mode which was just the Warhammer 1 map (perhaps extended into Land of the Dead), but it would be a lot of extra work to keep it updated alongside Vortex AND Mortal Empires. I really hope we get something like that towards the end of either Warhammer 2 (perhaps a final patch with the Warhammer 1 map) or Warhammer 3's final DLC/FLC. As shitty as the mini-campaigns were, I did get some fun out of them with mods (e.g. playing as the Red Duke in the Welf campaign with half of Bretonnia plus places like Massif Orcal included, and there was apparently a very good Storm of Chaos mod which used the Beastmen map).

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Just a heads up re: the Turn Time Destroyer: if you use Mixu's LL 1 mod, you'll want to skip the former. They're incompatible. Your game will crash either on the new campaign loading screen or when you click End Turn.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, wouldn't really call it obsolete considering all the steam/TW forum threads about ME performance. I tried it myself and while the game itself runs fine with pretty much everything maxed out, the turn times are indeed rather unbearable and I'm saying that as someone really used to playing tb strategy games.

Oh well, I guess I'll just play the vanilla II campaign.

Parabalus

Arcane
Well, wouldn't really call it obsolete considering all the steam/TW forum threads about ME performance. I tried it myself and while the game itself runs fine with pretty much everything maxed out, the turn times are indeed rather unbearable and I'm saying that as someone really used to playing tb strategy games.

Oh well, I guess I'll just play the vanilla II campaign.

II has improved mechanics/UI/balance, it's hard to go back to I, even if you're really itching for some SIGMAR!!!.

I just alt-tab every ME turn, there's an loading indicator on the icon and with borderless it's instant.

Unplayable without an SSD though.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
???????? No it doesn't

ss_48c4d7b7c0ae11978b6f29fe58c3006802ee9651.1920x1080.jpg

look at this grainy bullshit. And that's the campaign map, not even a battle. You can barely make out the lizard man from the river

wtf were they thinking

A horse of course

obviously you don't have an eye for art

https://wiki.totalwar.com/w/About_our_trailers

Fairly certain we had this conversation before but their trailers are usually using the original (unoptimized) art assets - have a look at the artstation profiles for Tom Parker and the other artists subcontracted to CA and you'll see they're much sharper and more detailed than the final in-game assets. They can also pre-render the footage at much higher resolutions with better lighting effects and such. It's literally impossible to get the game looking like the cinematics (I've run it at 4k with everything on max including unlimited video memory and such out of curiosity). The best people can do is with reshade filters etc. for screenshots - Parabalus shots are either too small to make out the difference (e.g. the last one) or using DoF effects that don't naturally occur in the game (e.g. the Green Knight one).

In my personal opinion the game looks alright aside from the fucking awful jaggies and SSAO artifacts. Warhammer 1 looked sharper at max settings to my mind.

II has improved mechanics/UI/balance, it's hard to go back to I, even if you're really itching for some SIGMAR!!!.

I just alt-tab every ME turn, there's an loading indicator on the icon and with borderless it's instant.

These was a period of around 1-2 months (I believe just before or after Tomb Kings) where alt-tabbing crashed the game. I just stopped playing altogether for that period.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
These was a period of around 1-2 months (I believe just before or after Tomb Kings) where alt-tabbing crashed the game. I just stopped playing altogether for that period.

That was protection against piracy.

Side note. Pirated version is much faster.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
And a question to people who play the game and know what they're talking about - are mounts for generals a good idea? They seem to boost speed, hp and charge at the cost of decreasing everything else, often by a lot. Also, being vulnerable to anti large units seems not very cool as there is a lot of those.

Parabalus

Arcane
And a question to people who play the game and know what they're talking about - are mounts for generals a good idea? They seem to boost speed, hp and charge at the cost of decreasing everything else, often by a lot. Also, being vulnerable to anti large units seems not very cool as there is a lot of those.

Yes, almost without exception. Generally your lord is faster and hits harder on a mount, and is easier to pull through chaff, ie. make him hit what you want to.

In quick battles mounts cost a lot extra, in SP campaigns they're free (outside of minor upkeep) so there no real reason not to take them.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Yes. You get more speed, which means you get into and out of combat faster. The out of is important, because if you find your general in a tough situation being about to nope the fuck out is pretty useful. Especially on a flying mount.

If your Vampire Lord isn't on a zombie dragon, then you are playing the game wrong, and you need to turn in all of your man cards.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Yeah, the fact that the game runs like shit on a HDD and they don't even mention that in the system requirements means 2 things -

1) CA can't optimize for shit, and they should feel bad for being bad at programming.

2) CA are fucking con artists for not mentioning that in the specs for a game that's 60 bucks (plus even more for the factions that are locked behind a paywall, even though they are in the game already. Because the industry is a load of fucking shit), and they should feel bad for being cunts.

Seriously, remember how people got super mad about that time there was on disk DLC for street fighter? Well I guess people are cool with it now, because Paradox and CA are basically doing the same fucking thing. What a load of shit.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm playing without an SSD and yeah, it is slow.
On the other hand, that's just perfect to watch some YouTube or Twitter at the same time :lol:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
The graphics are fine, on the battle maps. But the campaign map graphics are god awful, to the point where I think my game is bugged somehow and reverts to lowest settings on campaign map. Anyone else notice a massive discrepancy between campaign/battle map?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
What happened to Creative Assembly after Shogun 2? Because I think that was the last game where they weren't assholes with DLC or overly shitty optimization.

With Shogun 2 you had the best game and Fall of the Samurai, which was a proper expansion, and the game ran pretty well and looked great.

After Shogun 2 the games started to look like shit, started to run like shit, and came with a crap load of DLC that bloated the cost of an already expensive game. Wtf happened? Am I mistaken?

Jinn

Arcane
The graphics are fine, on the battle maps. But the campaign map graphics are god awful, to the point where I think my game is bugged somehow and reverts to lowest settings on campaign map. Anyone else notice a massive discrepancy between campaign/battle map?

Campaign map generally seems fine to me. I've actually caught myself admiring how pretty it can be at times.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yep, pretty much the first thing I noticed is how primitive the strategic map looks. Some assets, like towns for example, look straight out of late nineties. The map in Atilla looked much better. On the bright side, outside of bad AI turn times and load times that can strangle your will to live even on a new SSD, the game performs fine on almost everything maxed on my 3yo 1070 rig.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom