Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Is there any way to Greater Identify, or whatever it's called, items that you've already identified? Those quest log descriptions tend to be very helpful, but my sage usually assays things on pickup, gets the basic info, and then I can't seem to identify things further to get the real data. I tried casting the spell and then clicking on an item, tried dragging it on the magnifying glass, tried dropping it on the floor then picking it up - didn't work. Oracles help, but they're few and far between and they run out of oracle juice eventually.

Cast Improved Identify and assay the item again. It does work. Click the assay screen to see if you have already superid'd the item, sometimes they don't have descriptions. If all else fails, drop the item and pick it up again.

If it doesn't work then chances are that you are a nasty poo poo who is playing a pirated version. Make sure your game is updated.

Also, I seem to have found a bug or at least a way to cheese the system. Found a tome of arcane magic, cast read magic on my dude, tried scribing it - it didn't work but his arcane skill increased. I shrugged and kept trying, the skill kept increasing. As a result, I went from like 10 arcane to 70 in 3 minutes just by clicking on a book.

Working as intended. How do you think we got our swimming up to 100?

I mean the "downside" for increasing your skill like that is that you go insane. And your character goes insane, too.

whocares

Savant
I will not eat the bugs. I will not live in a pod. I will not use 2FA.

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
Is there any way to Greater Identify, or whatever it's called, items that you've already identified? Those quest log descriptions tend to be very helpful, but my sage usually assays things on pickup, gets the basic info, and then I can't seem to identify things further to get the real data. I tried casting the spell and then clicking on an item, tried dragging it on the magnifying glass, tried dropping it on the floor then picking it up - didn't work. Oracles help, but they're few and far between and they run out of oracle juice eventually.

Cast Improved Identify and assay the item again. It does work. Click the assay screen to see if you have already superid'd the item, sometimes they don't have descriptions. If all else fails, drop the item and pick it up again.

If you drop an already identified item onto the Assay icon while you have Improved Identify cast, you can click the assay window to get a *superid* window which gives some extra information about items, which I didn't know about, but it doesn't give you the Quest Journal update like you get when you assay a totally unidentified item with Improved Identify cast. I can't see any way of getting the Journal update from an item through the spell once you have it identified normally. Dropping it and picking it up doesn't return an item to an unidentified state.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Is the Super-ID info different than the item description you get by dragging an item onto the Look icon (not Assay)?

Gunnar

Arbiter
So, Thaumaturge can equip the full elite vanguard armor set, and you don't even need a lot of strength to equip it - only Aeorb is too low on character creation. What exactly does being overburdened do?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Overburdened drains vitality very quickly, I think. And probably lets them fight worse.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So here is a new V2 feature: You can only recruit one NPC at a time apparently.

That's why there is now the message "Only one of us can join you". I tried dismissing all NPC's from my party and then recruiting a new one works. As long as there is even one other NPC's already in the party, you cannot recruit another. Muh balinse, I guess.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Overburdened drains vitality very quickly, I think. And probably lets them fight worse.

Vitality is draining about 50% faster during fights for a character that is 102% overburdened. Not sure how it's changing his fighting effectiveness.

Has anyone successfully used a Metalsmith so far?

I have 100 Metallurgy on my guy with Forge who started as a Metalsmith. It gives AC+7 on each armor piece but it doesn't work on all armor. You can upgrade the entire elite vanguard set though. You really don't need a forge bonus to reach 125 TAC cap but it's great for local AC.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So how do you unscrew the orb at the top of the pyramid? It says something about inspection skill and the highest I have is at 77. Is there a spell that can help or something else?

EDIT: Never mind. Just had to try it several times to get a good roll.

Last edited:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

That's why there is now the message "Only one of us can join you". I tried dismissing all NPC's from my party and then recruiting a new one works. As long as there is even one other NPC's already in the party, you cannot recruit another. Muh balinse, I guess.

Checked it with other NPC's and they can join you even if you have NPC's in your party.

So apparently there are now something like "Premium NPC's" who will refuse to join if you have other NPC's - and "Normal NPC's" who don't mind.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer

Checked it with other NPC's and they can join you even if you have NPC's in your party.

So apparently there are now something like "Premium NPC's" who will refuse to join if you have other NPC's - and "Normal NPC's" who don't mind.

!!!!!correct.jpg

Jazz_

Arcane
I'm stuck at the Black Licht, decimates me with ease, I dunno maybe I'm underleveled for him or just wrong tactics, I'll keep trying. I think I kinda screwed up with my magic classes as they run out of mana really quick (unlike the aeorb sage, that guy has mana for days).
I saw a twerp on youtube cakewalking the encounter with a bard, the Licht was permanently stunned thanks to his bard, I don't have a bard in my party and anyway it kinda looked very ''cheesy'', it trivialized the fight. I guess the bard was nerfed since then (the video was from like 2017)?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
For more mana it helps to multiclass. Have you done that?

The music instruments used to be overpowered, now it is more balanced. Also, your sage can use music instruments just like a Bard.

If you really screwed up with some of your mages, get Little Rosy (Thaumaturge), Raghilda (Cleric) or Coffergus (Templar) instead. You can't multiclass NPC's, but some of them are close to overpowered anyway.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Regarding crafting, I understand now what the problem was:

You need to click on the inventory button of a character instead of the general inventory button. It would probably better to remove the crafting icons from the general inventory screen since you cannot use those there anyway.

- Enchanting at shrines is kind of interesting. It seems to work mostly on swords - and for some reason the enchanting stays up on Caliburnus much longer than another sword I am using.

- Mephistics/poisoning works mostly on daggers and goes away pretty quickly. So unless you stash away several weapons that are poisoned, it is not very practical.

- Haven't done much alchemy or metallurgy, though the latter seems like a pretty good one to permanently improve armor and maybe weapons too.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Regarding crafting, I understand now what the problem was:

You need to click on the inventory button of a character instead of the general inventory button. It would probably better to remove the crafting icons from the general inventory screen since you cannot use those there anyway.

- Enchanting at shrines is kind of interesting. It seems to work mostly on swords - and for some reason the enchanting stays up on Caliburnus much longer than another sword I am using.

- Mephistics/poisoning works mostly on daggers and goes away pretty quickly. So unless you stash away several weapons that are poisoned, it is not very practical.

- Haven't done much alchemy or metallurgy, though the latter seems like a pretty good one to permanently improve armor and maybe weapons too.

Metallurgy doesn't work with weapons. What's the deal with Sharpening? I don't have anyone on daggers and you have to level bladesmanship to use it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Frankly:

- Enchanting is pointless. You can cast "enchanted weapons" and that will take care of the problem.
- Poisoning is pointless. It goes away too fast for the benefit it gives. Not worth the backtracking.
- Metallurgy is mostly pointless. I've been sitting at capped AC for a large majority of the game.

Haven't had the chance to sharpen stuff after unlocking the craft but... you can't sharpen maces/warhammers etc...

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Metallurgy can improve the specific AC of one part of the armor. Though I have no idea if that counts for something or if only the overall AC is important - that one I capped out a long time ago too.

Sharpening: I need to have Chuckles gain level to try that one. Should work on daggers and maybe swords - though may be temporary too.

Gunnar

Arbiter
Frankly:

- Enchanting is pointless. You can cast "enchanted weapons" and that will take care of the problem.
- Poisoning is pointless. It goes away too fast for the benefit it gives. Not worth the backtracking.
- Metallurgy is mostly pointless. I've been sitting at capped AC for a large majority of the game.

Haven't had the chance to sharpen stuff after unlocking the craft but... you can't sharpen maces/warhammers etc...

Agreed about Enchanting. It seems to exist for the specific scenario where you don't have the spell or any magical weapons. It should give you a bonus that you can't get anywhere else.
I seem to run across a LOT of alchemy benches in the game though, did Cleve add these everywhere so you can keep re-applying poison bonus?
The larger problem with AC is that once you have a group of fighters with high weapon and lethal blow skills, some hit points, some speed, and magic weapons, the melee combat is basically solved and you only get threatened by dangerous abilities or magic that don't care about AC. Depending on how intelligently you built your group, this can happen pretty early on. For those guys, you'd probably never notice the subsystem at all. The guys in robes have fewer hit points and can still get hit, but they mostly never get attacked and can't equip most stuff that uses Metallurgy. That's why I thought it was cool that Thaumaturge can equip the heavy armor, you can have a caster in full plate with Metallurgy bonus, he'd be fully protected for those rare instances where the enemy gets to strike the back line, where if he takes the hit he's probably dead.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The larger problem with AC is that once you have a group of fighters with high weapon and lethal blow skills, some hit points, some speed, and magic weapons, the melee combat is basically solved and you only get threatened by dangerous abilities or magic that don't care about AC.

There are various instakill monsters that need to penetrate armor - so in that case high AC is very important (plus several layers of the Armorplate spell).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I found the mini-games place in the Nerukzhan Woods, but it needs a password. Does anyone know where to find it? Probably in one of the locations I already cleared in V1.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I stumbled upon the artsy ending while exploring. It's interesting but not a particularly satisfying ending, I'm going to keep going and see what else I can figure out. Lots of password places I can't get into. Can anyone give me a hint about where to find the name of the genie?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I stumbled upon the artsy ending while exploring. It's interesting but not a particularly satisfying ending, I'm going to keep going and see what else I can figure out. Lots of password places I can't get into. Can anyone give me a hint about where to find the name of the genie?

Nobody knows. Cleve said that the name and the codes for the wishes can be found with Mindread - the question is whose mind should be read. The Djinn is blank.

People found the name in the resource files, but not in the game itself AFAIK.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom