Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Terra

Cipher
Hopefully Sega will port it to PC as well.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
You know what would be kinda fun? A simulation Persona spin off. Maybe one where you can open/run the businesses in the game (Persona 5 Tycoon) or a farming simulator in the vein of Harvest Moon (Persona 5: Haru's Garden).

Terra

Cipher
I've already played and finished it last year. It's just a hope that Sega won't let Atlus leave money on the table indefinitely. Sega have been finding a lot of success recently by actually giving people what they've been asking for:
- a new, actually decent Sonic game in the style of the old ones (granted it took a really talented fan to do it but still).
- Yakuza 0 PC port, received very positively
- Valkyria 4, an actual sequel not stuck on a portable
- Streets of Rage 4, who could've guessed they'd actually make it, people have wanted it for years

Sega knows there's money to be made in the PC space and it wouldn't surprise me if they'd just have an external team port Atlus's games after release if they want to continue to ignore the platform.

tet666

Augur
Sega owns Atlus but they don't really seem to have any real power over them and some Atlus higher up have a completely irrational hate for western platforms and PC gaming in general.

Beastro

Arcane
I'm intrigued about something.

I assumed this series was something else entirely and was shocked to see silly anime style characters and went looking for the game I thought it was, then realized I was mixing it up with the Indigo Prophecy.

I was expecting more of this and was wondering why anyone would be so hyped about a game with it:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm debating if I should play this on normal or hard. Normally I would choose hard, but from my experience with P3 and P4 the dungeons were crappy and combat worse than SMT, so if that's the case with this one too there's no point playing on hard. So, what's the consensus on P5?

Silva

Arcane
Both options have ups and downs. On Normal it's so easy that dungeons become boring and pointless. On Hard combat gets a little interesting (though never on Nocturne level) but you may get one-shot by tough enemies and bosses, so having to re-do whole dungeons sections become a thing.

Pick your poison.

By the way, have in mind this is essentially a manga/anime series in videogame form. So ultimately you'll stay for the story or won't stay at all, as the game part is too shitty to hold up. I only managed to endure it when I treated it like a shitty Netflix series I watch to kill time cause I'm unemployed anyway.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
By the way, I'm at the end of the "Megido party" dungeon. I've died 3 times already and had to go back from checkpoint. And something I noticed is how ugly the game vistas are in contrast to Nocturne. This dungeon Im in is this big Egyptian pyramid that you can see from the outside, including the desert around and some settlements in the distance. I mean, this was the chance to make something breathtaking (like Nocturne did) but instead it's ugly as fuck. Almost PlayStation 1 -level of ugliness.

tet666

Augur
True 4k downsampling and 16x AF helps a bit to make it look better in RPCS3, i just wish we had a native port so the modding scene could really kick off there are a few good mods at https://amicitia.github.io/mods but we could do a lot more without the ps3 limitations.

Silva

Arcane
Got to the end of summer holidays, which is more or less the point I got in Persona 3 too.

I ended up getting hooked by P5 lighthearted, slice of life -style, specially after I treated more like an anime show and less a game. I still prefer the tone of P3 though, it made the supernatural parts really creepy. It would be interesting if this Persona 5R that will release soon would be a tweak in this sense (also, a gfx upgrade wold be nice, as the game has good opportunities for breathtaking vistas and environs that get bogged down for the PS2 gfx).

How is P4 in this respect? Is it's tone and vibe more creepy like P3 or more on thr light hearted side as P5?

Terra

Cipher
P4 is much more lighthearted overall than P3 was. Central plot revolves around a murder mystery, which counterbalances the former somewhat. But there's nothing like the Dark Hour in P4 as far as I can recall.

Dodo1610

Arcane
P4 is much more lighthearted overall than P3 was. Central plot revolves around a murder mystery, which counterbalances the former somewhat. But there's nothing like the Dark Hour in P4 as far as I can recall.

But Persona 3 had a sentient robot waifu and a dog with a knife as companions.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Got to the end of summer holidays, which is more or less the point I got in Persona 3 too.

I ended up getting hooked by P5 lighthearted, slice of life -style, specially after I treated more like an anime show and less a game. I still prefer the tone of P3 though, it made the supernatural parts really creepy. It would be interesting if this Persona 5R that will release soon would be a tweak in this sense (also, a gfx upgrade wold be nice, as the game has good opportunities for breathtaking vistas and environs that get bogged down for the PS2 gfx).

How is P4 in this respect? Is it's tone and vibe more creepy like P3 or more on thr light hearted side as P5?

In the middle between both games. It has a pretty dark plot actually (murder spree), but it keeps colliding with this strange lightheartedness thats present in almost all social interactions. It does atmosphere and mystery better than Persona 5 in my opinion, while Persona 5 had the more interesting confidant plotlines and way better dungeons.

Silva

Arcane
Interesting. I wonder what direction the eventual P6 will go. I wish they captured part of P3 mood.

By the way, I feel the game is much better now that it "opened up" more (I'm right after Futaba). Between managing confidants, skills training, part-time work, mementos cases, etc. the game has hit a sweet spot of simulation and resource managing that's pretty fun to engage. A pity it took so long to reach this enjoyable state, with the first two or three dungeons being so hand-holding and linear. I bet a lot of players dropped the game due to that long "tutorial" (I know I did).

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Interesting. I wonder what direction the eventual P6 will go. I wish they captured part of P3 mood.

I fully suspect it will get a lot more expansive and depending on how popular VR is at the time I wouldn't be shocked if there is integration, which done right, would be pretty amazing. Imagine feeling like you're living your character's life from their perspective.

Silva

Arcane
Am I right to think that combat confidants get less useful skills late in their ladders, while the non-combat ones get super useful?

That maid bitch is granting me free time to do stuff, Sojiro curry and coffees make me go really deep in dunegons, the chess player is letting me do some crazy party maneuvers, and that old politician is making me gain money at a absurd rate.

Jinn

Arcane
Played 4 till Rise was pole dancing. Tedious garbage with copy pasted dungeons and barely any competent gameplay, meh~ writing.. is 5 any better?

Yes, 5 is much better. On hard, the combat is fun and can be very challenging. Dungeons are completely varied, each with their own level design and mechanics, which is why Persona 5 comes out ahead of 3 and 4 for me every time. I couldn't stand the dungeons in 3 and 4, and 3 was the worst of them all with it's garbage random dungeons and shitty dark blob monsters. When it comes to gameplay, there is no doubt that Persona 5 is the superior of the three.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yes, P5 has the best gameplay out of the three, although I vastly prefer the cast and narrative of P3 to the obnoxious garbage of P5, but that can be subjective.

Not to mention that while the dungeons are a lot better in P5, there's also shittons of hand-holding because the game thinks you're a massive retard and can't solve simple puzzles.

Jinn

Arcane
I understand why Morgana urging the player to sleep is annoying to a lot of people, but really it's just a mechanic to limit your activities throughout the day. If there was no limit on what you could do during a day, you'd just max out all your relationships and activities in a few days. The limited nature of the days is an integral (and I believe good) part of the gameplay and it causes you to weigh your decisions more carefully.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom