Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

War for the Netflix of gaming: featuring Google, Amazon, Microsoft, EA, Sony

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But the question is how many of those people *want* to play it.
They exist, one of my buddies I met at trade school was one of them. And that guy didn't have a potato pc, quite the opposite, he had it setup do VR shit. I didn't press him on it but my assumption is that a super computer streamed can do a lot more shit than anything you can do at the consumer level.

It actually can't, ultimately what you are streaming is *someone else's computer* which is in a data centre. The best performance money can buy, even Microsoft or Google's money, atm is a 2080ti GPU from NVIDIA with a 9990k clocked, and that is the maximum performance you can stream. And it is doubtful that the datacentre guys will be overclocking CPUs and GPUs for their streaming program

Like I do see an application for this but I don't see it being a giant money spinning enterprise because the number of people with potato PCs who *want* high spec PCs, but can't afford them and go for the streaming service is low.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The only advantage is that you dont need to install games before you can play them. Which would theoretically allow you to try many games very quickly, something that has become difficult lately.

But yeah, mostly attractive to potato gamers and companies who want your balls in a vice. I don't see gaming gets any better if my keyboard input has to travel half the country, or if games suddenly vanish from the Earth.

DemonKing

Arcane
I have an Nvidia Shield and they have a game streaming service that let's you play any supported Steam games you own. I tested it on a couple of titles and despite the test servers being in the US (I'm in Aussieland) I found the gameplay acceptable over Ethernet. This is a test of course - for it to become widespread a ton of infrastructure would be required both for the streaming sources and in terms of end user internet bandwidth.

I feel it will come though, but not for a few years.

Deflowerer

Arcane
At least DarksydePhil will be right for once with his "bugged controls" and "I couldn't dodge I COULDN'T".

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Games as a service. The next cancer, ready to infect the industry even more.

Here a good video on it. It's a bit old (2014), but he pretty much states every problem with this.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do you guys remember the Sega Channel? It technically didn't stream anything. It would download the game into RAM stored in the adapter that would lose the data when it was powered off. Still, it was very close to a Netflix for gaming and came out 25 years ago.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So maybe the analyst prediction that a FAANG company will buy a major game developer / publisher (especially Bethesda) in 2019 wasn't too farfetched.

For traditional games, amazon seems to be the most likely of the FAANGs, after their investments in twitch and CryEngine/Lumberyard. A subscription / streaming serviced tied to twitch could work, if they get most of the publishes of the Top 10(0) games on board. But getting Valve (and Epic) on boards seems a futile endeavor.

If Anthem and the SW game will also be behind expectations, EA could be up for grabs.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane

Yeah sure, but that was then and this is now. At least the tech giants think now (or well, few years in the future) is the time, with faster network speed and more advanced and widespread cloud tech (which is one of the main revenue generators for those giants).

Someone tell me again how the Tech Giants have solved the issue of speeding up the speed of light down fibre optic cables to remove the single biggest issue here, which is ping?
All games will be turn-based. :smug:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01/28/apple-reportedly-planning-gaming-subscription-service

APPLE REPORTEDLY PLANNING GAMING SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE

Apple is reportedly planning a Netflix-like gaming subscription service that would allow users to access a bundled list of games.

As reported by Cheddar, Apple began discussing this service with game developers in the second half of 2018 and five anonymous sources confirmed these plans.

There is no further information as to what the cost will be or what types of games Apple will offer, as "the service is still in the early stages of development, and Apple could ultimately decide to abandon it."

Additionally, Apple has discussed the possibility of becoming a publisher as well, according to two of the sources, which could hint at Apple's ambition to further expand in the gaming space.

This gaming service would add to Apple's offerings, besides hardware, that include Apple Music, original shows to rival Netflix on its own streaming service, and a planned news subscription service set to launch later this year.

Apple is the next player in a potential crowded market that reportedly will also see Amazon, Microsoft, Google and Verizon all creating their own game streaming services.

So, adding Apple and Verizon here...

A.V.G.A.M.E.S

Adult Video Games

:desu:

Do you guys remember the Sega Channel? It technically didn't stream anything. It would download the game into RAM stored in the adapter that would lose the data when it was powered off. Still, it was very close to a Netflix for gaming and came out 25 years ago.

Had a friend that had it, it was pretty cool. But you also had to pay extra by the game to play full versions of some stuff on it.

cw8

Cipher
Fuck monthly subscriptions. What's with people's obsession to pay monthly fees? First it was video streaming, and then software monthly payments to actually use them and then music streaming. What's wrong with actually buying an drm-free MP3 file and actually being able to listen to them until your electricity runs out. There's nothing more stressful than seeing your monthly bills and expenditures go up but apparently it doesn't seem to bother most people.
Hope this doesn't come to gaming. I haven't heard of anything more asinine and retarded than having to pay a monthly sub to play single-player games. I like my computer hardware and actually owning games and using mods just fine. But I got a feeling the fucking whales and casual jackasses will ruin it for all of us.

abija

Prophet
Pricing is the issue, especially in that music example. The cost of having a decent enough library far exceeds several lifetimes of monthly subscription.
And done right this could be good for gaming, but I have no hope for that. They're going to stack microtransactions or some other form of revenue on top of the monthly sub.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Fuck monthly subscriptions. What's with people's obsession to pay monthly fees? First it was video streaming, and then software monthly payments to actually use them and then music streaming. What's wrong with actually buying an drm-free MP3 file and actually being able to listen to them until your electricity runs out. There's nothing more stressful than seeing your monthly bills and expenditures go up but apparently it doesn't seem to bother most people.
Hope this doesn't come to gaming. I haven't heard of anything more asinine and retarded than having to pay a monthly sub to play single-player games. I like my computer hardware and actually owning games and using mods just fine. But I got a feeling the fucking whales and casual jackasses will ruin it for all of us.
Consoletards love their monthly fees. They're even willing to pay a monthly fee for literally nothing.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Who the fuck pays for music when you can download pretty much every published music in existence straight from YouTube?

I also don't understand how do people pay for shit like Netfux when programs like Stremio exist.

Last edited:

dbx

Arcane
Patron

Perpetual serfdom is the end goal of the lizards in power: to strip the people of ownership of everthing. It's so easy with software that you basically haven't own a single piece of software since 2001 and through it they are making people accustomed to the idea. They are starting to do it with cars (long term rental or car sharing in many european cities is cheaper than owning a car) and the next step is to make even home ownership impossible. It's easier to control a population that doesn't own jack shit and has to rely on your corporations for everything.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Google may announce its streaming service (and possibly console) at GDC: https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/19/18231474/google-gaming-keynote-gdc-2019

Google is holding a mysterious gaming press event at GDC next month
We might hear more details about Project Stream

Google is planning to hold a mysterious gaming-related event at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) next month. Google has started emailing invites to members of the media today, inviting them to “gather around” for a Google keynote that simply promises “all will be revealed” on March 19th at 10AM PT / 1PM ET. Google’s cryptic invite includes an animated GIF with an explosion of light in a hallway.

Google typically participates at GDC with developer-focused events that provide the latest updates and changes for Android game developers. This year’s Google keynote is clearly going to be different, and the company wants everyone to know it’s doing something different this time.

ezgif.com_optimize.gif

Project Stream service over the past six months, which allows Chrome users to stream games in their browser. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey was the first and only game to be tested publicly using Google’s service, and it’s likely that the company has more to say about Project Stream next month. Google’s public tests finished last month, and the company might be ready to detail its plans to make this into a full game streaming service.

Google will face competition from Sony, Nvidia, Microsoft, and even Amazon. Microsoft is planning its own xCloud game streaming service, with public trials scheduled for later this year. Amazon also appears to be readying a similar service, while both Nvidia and Sony are already streaming games over the internet. The Verge will be attending Google’s special keynote, so stay tuned for more details on March 19th.

Don Peste

Arcane
A FIRST LOOK AT GOOGLE’S PROJECT STREAM GAMING CONTROLLER!
BY SARANG SHETH 03/07/2019

google_stream_controller_1.jpg

Google’s Project Stream makes a promise that’s borderline remarkable. Imagine if you could play a game without a graphics card. Everything renders off-site, on a massive GPU, and streams to your screen. You’re literally using a CLOUD-BASED Graphical Processor Unit! Everything happens in realtime, and to you, it essentially means you’re playing a game as advanced and intensive as Assassin’s Creed, but you’re playing it in Google Chrome. Run your controls on your computer, they get sent to the cloud where the game is being played, the cloud inputs your controls, renders the scene, and livestreams it to your browser with negligible lag. All you need is high-speed internet! Sounds BONKERS, right?!

Project Stream occurred as a one-time test-run for Google, allowing just a handful of people to play Assassin’s Creed Odyssey on Chrome. However, if recent patent-files are any indication, Google is planning on taking this seriously. Here’s a look at the Project Stream controller, a visualized concept based on Google’s patented design… a concept, if executed perfectly, that could tank XBox and PS sales, and even kill the gaming laptop industry. The Project Stream (I made the mistake of calling it Steam a bunch of times. I wonder why Google hasn’t caught onto that glaring possibility) helps integrate quite a few community features into the gaming experience too. For starters, since you’re gaming on the cloud and having the game streamed to you in realtime, you can stream your game to other people too. The controller has a chat/voice button built into it, aside from a Stream button, home button, options button, and your regular control sticks, action keys, directional pad, shoulder buttons, and triggers. Gaming with Google’s Project Stream won’t be a radically new experience… but it’ll be so radically convenient, you’ll probably be able to play the latest and best games on a chromebook over reliable Wi-Fi… and if that isn’t the most mind-numbingly great thing ever, I don’t know what is!

Designer/Visualization: Sarang Sheth

google_stream_controller_2.jpg

google_stream_controller_3.jpg

google_stream_controller_4.jpg

google_stream_controller_5.jpg

google_stream_controller_6.jpg

google_stream_controller_7.jpg

google_stream_controller_8.jpg

google_stream_controller_9.jpg

Patent Application: USPTO

deama

Prophet
please please please please please please please please please pleassssssseeeeee let this just fucking die!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom