Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
You played the two most repetitive factions. Dwarves are static and offer nothing but defensive boxing, vampires are known as the faction of mosh pits. Besides things changed a lot since the start of WH1, especially with WH2 factions.

LizardWizard

Cipher
What happened to Creative Assembly after Shogun 2? Because I think that was the last game where they weren't assholes with DLC or overly shitty optimization.

Huh? Shogun 2 had shitty clan packs and unit DLC. This has been the nickel and dime model since Empire released

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
What happened to Creative Assembly after Shogun 2? Because I think that was the last game where they weren't assholes with DLC or overly shitty optimization.

Huh? Shogun 2 had shitty clan packs and unit DLC. This has been the nickel and dime model since Empire released

Yeah, you're right. I must have picked up the complete edition and forgot about it, because I got everything right off the bat. That said, its certainly worse now.
Shogun 2 has something like 7 DLC, and they are at most 8 euros.

Warhammer Total War has 13 DLC, and they are at most 17.5 euros. Now, 6 of those 13 are free, but the remaining 7 are double or as much the most expensive Shogun 2 DLC.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
TRIGGERED! :D

Ok, which faction should I play for a fun time and varied battlefields and tactics. I got tired of the Dwarfs being always in the desert and always against greenskins, and the Vampires always fighting in the dark.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
You played the two most repetitive factions. Dwarves are static and offer nothing but defensive boxing, vampires are known as the faction of mosh pits. Besides things changed a lot since the start of WH1, especially with WH2 factions.

I actually liked playing as Vampires. They are probably one of the more unique factions mechanics wise, due to their necromancy recruitment and lack of ranged weapons.

FreeKaner

I actually liked playing as Vampires. They are probably one of the more unique factions mechanics wise, due to their necromancy recruitment and lack of ranged weapons.

They are unique but they are also simple-minded.

TRIGGERED! :D

Ok, which faction should I play for a fun time and varied battlefields and tactics. I got tired of the Dwarfs being always in the desert and always against greenskins, and the Vampires always fighting in the dark.

If it's only WH1 you have Empire is good. They have a nice selection of basic and advanced units, a combined arms approach and high focus on their magic, missiles and cavalry as their playmakers, making them very dynamic and micro-intensive to play. You also have to deal with different factions in different ways, making fighting each of the factions different experience. The battles also change depending on your units, early on with more infantry and more slow approach and later on much more aggressive with cavalry and artillery, you also get griffins on your lords later game further spicing up the combat. Vampires and Dawi start one way and keep the same whole game p. much.

If you have WH2 I recommend Dark Elves as one of the most varied and versatile armies with plenty of different enemies nearby to fight with a nice unit progression that gets you different types of both light and heavy infantry and cavalry as well as various flyers and monsters.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
but the remaining 7 are double or as much the most expensive Shogun 2 DLC.

Considering how much unique art work, animation and gameplay mechanics go into each race pack, I'm not complaining. Especially when compared to Shogun 2, which had one worthwhile 'DLC' (read: expansion pack) in Fall of the Samurai.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Considering how much unique art work, animation and gameplay mechanics go into each race pack, I'm not complaining. Especially when compared to Shogun 2, which had one worthwhile 'DLC' (read: expansion pack) in Fall of the Samurai.
Which would be fine, if they weren't already in the game.
In Rome and Medieval 2, if you beat the game you unlock nearly all of the other factions.
In the games past that you have to pay for them now. I'm not a fan of that very much. Like, I get they are trying to make it worth its price, but it still feels like a cash grab considering how it worked in the other games.

FreeKaner

They are in the game without you needing to buy them. You only buy the ability to play as them.

CA monetary policy is p. bad regardless, but people need to get off their nostalgia glasses for med2 and shogun2, it was the same shit.

Delterius

Arcane

In Rome and Medieval 2, if you beat the game you unlock nearly all of the other factions.
In the games past that you have to pay for them now. I'm not a fan of that very much. Like, I get they are trying to make it worth its price, but it still feels like a cash grab considering how it worked in the other games.
There's just no comparing things to Warhammer, man. In Medieval 2 you'd unlock many factions, true, but their uniqueness was mostly limited to which types of early game units just happened to be shit. It takes an entire expansion to make something like the Byzantines somewhat distinct from western europe, hell, in the original game the Byzantines' late game units are literally 'people hired from the basic factions'.

Warhammer has actual hitboxes and actual physics. Its not just that each faction plays differently, has different magic spells available and have vastly different weapon type strengths and weaknesses. The monsters and the different fantasy mounted units all have an unique effect in the battlefield.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik

Really strange thing to say, considering that they didn't put them in the game because of their sense of altrusim - they put them in the game so people would buy the DLC. If people didn't buy the DLC, they wouldn't be in the game, in the first place.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

Really strange thing to say, considering that they didn't put them in the game because of their sense of altrusim - they put them in the game so people would buy the DLC. If people didn't buy the DLC, they wouldn't be in the game, in the first place.

Its not a strange thing to say.
Did you have to buy Greeks for Rome 1? No? Were they in the game? Yes? Maybe I'm just new to this DLC thing, but to me it looks like a shoddy practice.
Is it really so hard to ask for a complete product, instead of having to buy addons that probably could have been in the game to begin with?

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Gg2mL5E.jpg

DURR DURR LOOKS GREAT GUYS /DROOL

:happytrollboy::happytrollboy::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::retarded::kingcomrade:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Did you have to buy Greeks for Rome 1? No? Were they in the game? Yes? Maybe I'm just new to this DLC thing, but to me it looks like a shoddy practice.
Is it really so hard to ask for a complete product, instead of having to buy addons that probably could have been in the game to begin with?

Yea its a scummy practice, any faction in base game should be playable. Something like Norsca, Pirate Vamps is ok for DLC as its added to the game later. And locking factions to pre-order is disgusting eg. chaos warriors in TW:WH1.

Drakron

Arcane

Well yes because you are saying games should not be patched post-launch, they have to "get it right", DLC in TW:W2 have been both free and paid as you get for example the new Vampires mechanics in a patch without having to buy Vampire Coast, you also get Lokhir Fellheart for free that have the same basic mechanics as Vampire Coast factions despite being part of the Dark Elf faction, then you have The Queen and the Crone that do add new Legendary Lords being Alarielle and Hellebron along with new units for Elves and Dark Elves that is pay unlike Lokhir Fellheart but then you also have Alith Anar and Tretch Craventail that also added each a new Legendary Lord as well Mortal Empires that is a new campaign with its own map, both Tomb Kings and Vampire Coast are just the Vortex campaign with different objectives.

Also they werent in the game, Vampire Coast was a faction yes but used generic Vampire units, not specific ones (that CA had to create since they didnt exist) as Tomb Kings also werent in the game until Tomb Kings, their territory was either Skaven or Vampire, the fact they appear due to patches is simply to maintain build compatibility instead of having to maintain several forks because of autism, it means they only have to put one patch instead of several different patches because the autistics think they should do that because they dont own certain DLC.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik

But none of the WH/WH2 DLC races were in the game before the DLC... One exception being the Brettonians, who became FLC after their roster was massively fleshed out.

zapotec

Liturgist
Me since the Queen and the Crone DLC i have lost like 10-15 fps, averaging around at 17 fps in the campaign map and slightly more during battles (lowest setting).

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
To be fair, Total War games were never known for their amazing graphics, imo. I mean, we're not talking about Crysis here.
Keep in mind that we are talking about potentionally thousands of models on the field, with their own animations and what not.

What you should really be doing is comparing different total war games, or games that does something similar, as then you'd have a frame of reference to work with.
That said, it does kind of look like crap. I remember Shogun 2 looking better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom