Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Wunderbar

Arcane
After you leave the mansion and go to a shipwreck level, game turns to shit.
Why?
RE7 mansion was designed in the same way as Mansion in RE1 or Police station in RE2 - puzzles, backtracking, save rooms, etc. Then the game abandons that formula in favor of lame linear experience with samey looking corridors and repetitive encounters.
The non-linearity of the RE7 mansion is an ilusion you had because of having one big map, but in reality you're totaly 100% railroaded and have only one way to explore it. While in the ship, because you use the same ressource to open every door or container (the acid thing) you can explore it in the way you like and you also fight real ennemies instead of running from invincilbles-until-I-say-their-not hoogie-boogies (making the ship way more true to classic RE design than the mansion).

You got fooled because you're dumb, ha!
i never said it's non-linear in terms of progression. In the saltmines there is not reason to return to previous areas at all, while in the ship acid key thing gave you non-linear path in, like, two places.
Also, your real enemies are just non-scary and non-interesting pushovers, i'd rather be stalked by Jack.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The exact moment I knew RE4 would suck unforgivable dick was when Leon did a German Suplex on a Spanish farmer. All that cool atmosphere and creepy ambiance of the village completely ruined.

RE5 and RE6 aren't real and don't exist. We're just having a Candle Cove moment. Now let us never speak of them again.

sullynathan

Arcane

Dwq2--PVYAATyA5.jpg
Dwq295vUcAEqmx4.jpg
Dw4WImPXQAAU77i.jpg:large
Dw4WKa6WsAAxtPp.jpg:large
Dw4WQ1gWsAIShbr.jpg:large

4chan leak shit

mkIqqeV.png

Viata

Arcane
I mean that since SF4, a lot of DLC was in fact locked content you had to pay for. I think one of the Dead Rising even had a DLC that it was a cheat menu. So it's kinda weird that in REmake 2 you actually don't have to pay for something that is already in the game, you can just unlock it.

It's mostly because it was in the original game, so there's some expectations to be there, if they took that out there would be hell to pay. Besides they can just add more DLC anyway. Like in that rouge mode if that shit is legit.

oldbonebrown

Arcane

Those zombies act like they are ripped straight out of the original Dead Rising, from what I remember the animations are the exact same

Mark Richard

Arcane
Good old Crowbcat comes through again.

Why would destructive environments be the only reason to have over the shoulder 3rd person gameplay? RE2 isn't a game about being chased by mobs
That video outlines what I was trying to say. The zombies have less reactivity within a static environment, to the point where this looks like yet another 'modern' game that is inferior to a previous decade old entry in the series. If this ends up getting a side by side comparison to RE4 its going to be very telling.

sullynathan

Arcane
That video outlines what I was trying to say. The zombies have less reactivity within a static environment, to the point where this looks like yet another 'modern' game that is inferior to a previous decade old entry in the series. If this ends up getting a side by side comparison to RE4 its going to be very telling.
ROFL, Crowbcat is actually going to buy the game. This is a reimagining of RE2, not a re-release of RE4. Please complain more about the lack of destructible environmnents and zombie environmental interactivity in the original Resident Evil games when it wasn't necessary.

DayofBlow

Educated
Those zombies act like they are ripped straight out of the original Dead Rising, from what I remember the animations are the exact same

Was thinking the same thing. Movement is very similar. Obviously it's not the same animation, but they're doing same looking actions.

Already excuses of development prioritization are being made.

ROFL, Crowbcat is actually going to buy the game. This is a reimagining of RE2, not a re-release of RE4. Please complain more about the lack of destructible environmnents and zombie environmental interactivity in the original Resident Evil games when it wasn't necessary.
You are missing the point. And this being a "re-imagining" is precisely what some fans didn't want.

Mark Richard

Arcane
RE4 was the first Resident Evil game to implement an over the shoulder perspective. It's perfectly sensible to compare both games within the framework of those basic design features (breaking glass, reactions to being shot, adaptive movement) that are universally relevant, regardless of genre differences. These are tangible objective things you can pick out individually and say 'that was done better in X game.'

Generic-Giant-Spider

I didn't know you could use desks and railings to fuck with zombies and cause them to trip over themselves. I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be a "vomit" attack that the old RE zombies would use if you were on an elevated platform.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Every choice the original games made was an efficient way to cover up or bypass the "reality" issues like this, and helped in maintaining a sense of tension throughout, whereas every choice this new one makes seems to have the opposite effect.

Already by bringing the camera in closer with the over the shoulder perspective they've given the player unimpeded awareness of their surroundings, unlike the fixed camera which allowed the designer to have careful control over what the player could be aware of. This over the shoulder camera in combination with elements like ragdoll physics, heavy scripting and the ability for zombies to go anywhere means the player will constantly be noticing things that are "off"--effectively breaking the tension at that moment.

That part where the zombies are trying to get into the main hall looks like a complete joke, and this was avoided entirely in the original games through the door loading screens. Each room could be segregated into its own unit, which was immediately understood by the player, so the designers never had to worry about inconsistencies like this and could focus entirely on the ambiance of the individual room. You could have a save room that felt like a safe haven and offers a brief moment of contrasting respite from the terror of the rest of the mansion, simultaneously offering a feeling of dread on the realization that you have to go back out into the horror again, without having to care about the internal consistency of why zombies can't get in there.

The same goes for the situation with the ladder and the stairs; all these situations look "unnatural" and make you aware that you are playing a game, and a poorly designed one at that--tension gone. The busted scripting sequences, the QTE segments, all the same shit. They've given a poor illusion of more control by getting rid of the fixed camera angles but then layered all these moments that are taking control away from the player, which stand out more awkwardly because of the lack of the fixed camera angles and the choice of the over the shoulder camera.

The only reason the over the shoulder angle is there is to show off all the sophomoric gore effects, to the detriment of everything else. Who cares about the tension and mood of the game when you can blow all this zombies limbs off, right guys?

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
if they gave more leeway with some of the ragdoll/environmental interaction stuff i think knife-only runs would be really fun

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom