Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've heard the Witcher EE is out

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The Polish voice overs flow better in that they don't constantly change their tone and just feels more natural. Though, I watch a good deal of foreign movies and TV shows, so not really understanding what the Hell they're saying doesn't bother me as much as it might you.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
How is the polish voice acting though? I might not understand a word of it, but I'll sure as hell notice when it's atrocious. I kinda liked the witcher's english voice actor, but didn't really care for a lot of the other characters. If the polish is better, I'd be more than happy to use that with english subs.

Starwars

Arcane
I actually quite like the *voices* of the Witcher. Some of the characters are really overacted, but somehow it kinda fits the game I think. The problem I think lies in the direction of the actors, with strange shifts in tone here and there. Sometimes it feels a bit like Oblivions Radiant AI NPC conversations, but with much more likeable voices, in how disjointed they are.

The new version has improved this, but it still flows really weirdly at times. Should try the Polish voiceovers sometime I guess.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Judging by the Price of Neutrality and the first half-hour or so of the OC (just started it now; only got as far as chapter two in the original version) the Polish voice overs are pretty good. Like I said earlier, they seem to flow better and sound more natural.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Yeah it is. (US version censored)

TAGES fucks it up running under win2k, no patch as of yet.

Attempting to run it under XP SP2 results in another cockup, failing to run the game.

Patch is about 20+h to download via link from fuckup site (CD Projekt, you'd think that they'd have a clue by now), or 9+h by torrent. WTF?!

(Yes I have an XP install but I NEVER use it, until now, plus the CD Projekt forum staff are a bunch of halfwit jacknapes...)

[EDIT]
...and, oh yeah, I use the term "patch" incredibly loosely as it's about 1 fucking gigabyte in size?! WTF?! That's not just a "patch"...
[/EDIT]

cutterjohn

Cipher
Crispy said:
Took me about 2.5hrs over a simple 512K DSL line. Just use Fileshack.

:shrug:
Link? I've only got the torrent TPB and "official" site ATM.

[EDIT]
OK went and searched fileshack but theonly thing that I see are an original to EE "patch" and a language "patch" which I don;t think will help me as I'm installing from the US (craptari) EE release, unless things are even more fucked up than I think...
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
...and YAY crapsoft decides to tell me where the error report goes in fucked up 8.3 nomenclature on a NTFS fs. WTF?! Off to figure out WTF they put it...

Oh wait found it, but it makes zero sense...
[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]
Moral of story pirate the bitch if they insist on using draconian CP, save yourself $50 and endless headaches in the process!
[/EDIT3]

cutterjohn

Cipher
Crispy said:
Dude, that's the same patch that I found before! I ALREADY have the enhanced edition installed!

Did I miss something somewhere or did they totally cockup the release and send us the old copy?

[EDIT]
My actual witcher.exe is already 1.4.5.1280
[/EDIT]

Texas Red

Whiner
What is going on? Is the EE patch the same as the EE? Why is it available without registration?

Ausir

Arcane
The EE patch are the actual changes to the game. Aside from that, the EE includes the language packs, the music CDs, the editor and 2 new adventures, and the bonus materials (guidebook, making of films and map).

Fez

Erudite
You can just download the adventures too, BTW. In case you were wondering about that part.

Fez

Erudite
I've already been to the website and browsed through the stuff while I was getting the patch to fix and finish the game (after a year's wait), but reading through this I wanted to make it clear to the OP that they were available there rather than only with a purchase.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
I think it's available without registration 'cos apparently quite a few copies shipped without a serial key and many who did try to register were having an impossible time doing so.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Mine registered just fine, and I show up as a game owner at their website. [EDIT] But I never bothered to register my old copy... [/EDIT]

As mentioned above I gave up trying to get it running under win2k (it'll need a tages crack as it uses a hook not availabe under win2k kernel), however attempting to run it under winxp sp2 it looks like it goes past the TAGES disk check. The spinning CD goes away, the screen goes black then I get an error message about encountering a problem (very helpful that) along with the patch to a non-existent file in 8.3 nomenclature (again WTF?!), which does NOT appear in the specified directory or at leats under the filename that the ever so helpful error dialog box gives. Another, apparently randomly named, files exists however which is an XML file saved with a .txt extension, which is the point that I gave up on last night (few beers didn't help the debugging).

At that point I had the "bright" "idea" of attempting to update xp sp2 to sp3 which failed for some reason at which point I really did give up.

Backed up a bunch of files to DVD this morning, and giving the SP3 update another shot, before shooting EE and just waiting for a crack. (The Russian version is apparently already cracked, or so I am guessing, as there is a "universal" starshit crack floating around for it. Probably shoould've just dled the main disk + editor disk along with that crack last night and saved myself the nightmare.)

Well off to look at the craptari site to see if they have anything on TAGES crap screwing up, checking the witcher site to see what the deal with the patch is, and generally googling around for other info on TAGES & sp3 update problems while waiting to see what happens with my 2nd SP3 update attempt.. CP needs to die along with DMCA, although this is the first program to ever give me serious problems...

cutterjohn

Cipher
OK, SP3 install went fine this time, dunno why it borked last night, as it rebooted the computer itself for some reason, or at least it had rebooted by the time that I came back to check at which point I gave up for the night. This morning I discovered that it had failed when I rebooted to windows xp (default to linux), it rolled back to SP2.

My attempt to go to SP3 this morning went fine, obviously.

Tried the witcher EE again with the disk in either my DVD-R/W or DVD-ROM drives still looked like it passed TAGEs, then crashed while loading th eproblem with the same series of useless dialog to a non-existent file.

:facepalm: remember event viewer and the assinine place that they buried it in XP and found out that the faulting app was really the mss32.dll library which resides in the witcher's SYSTEM directory and is, apparently, the miles sound system support shared lib. Too bad that the error dialog wasn't actually helpful and told me this in the first place, thanks M$!

So, I guess I now need to point fingers at crap 3rd party middleware as well as crap CP... If this were actually fun, I'd say that I already got $50 of value out of EE, and see if the witcher patch is actually needed for EE as it looks more to me like it's an update from any version of the original game to EE rather than a patch specifically for EE.

[EDIT]
Actually I decided to install the Polish voiceovers as well just to hear what it sounds like as originally made, although I have no intention whatsoever of actually playing through the game with them on. Unfortunately I haven't even had the opportunity to get that far yet...
[/EDIT]

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
There are some known problem with EE crashing on systems that have EAX compatible sound cards. You may want to look into that. Check the official forums.

(BTW, I know this doesn't help, but it's running fantastically on my system)

cutterjohn

Cipher
Yeah, I got it. Temporarily reducing it from FULL hw accel in dxdiag has allowed me to run the game. I'll look into a "better" solution later.

The changes up to the outskirts of Vizima are nice, and performance seems to have been significantly improved over the original release AND subsequent patches.

Still plan on using a crack and just running under win2k as soon as one is available, as I ONLY have XP installed for games with assinine CP that I REALLY want to play right now, as I still have enough better performance from win2k to NOT warrant "upgrading" to XP or downgrading to Vista.

jsaving

Educated
You can download the Enhanced Edition files whether or not you have a registered copy of the game. You can also create a userid at the Witcher site whether or not you have a registered copy of the game. But to successfully *install* the Enhanced Edition files, you need a userid AND the files AND a registered copy of the game.

Is it worth downloading, provided you meet these requirements? Sure. Game stability is somewhat better, load times are somewhat shorter, NPC appearance is somewhat more varied, the inventory and potion-creation systems are somewhat more intuitive, and the dialogues make somewhat more sense than they did in the pre-EE version of the Witcher. But at least as far as I can tell, none of these improvements are "game-changers" in any real sense of the word. They're nice to have if you already like the game, but if you don't, they probably aren't going to be enough to convince you that the Witcher is a good game after all.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Apparently you can also uncensor the shitty censored US release using the download as well, although the shipped EE is already max engine. i.e. don;t waste your time downloading it unless you want tits in addition to bad language(thanks thumpers, bad language is A-OK but tits are verboten?! WTF?! They're as cracked in the head as muslims!) anyways the "video DVD" also don't play on my PS2, and gives what I assume to be a non-region correct error (thanks again craptari), fortunately my computer(s) play it fine...

Using SMS to play it on the PS2 only play the Polish version... AFAICT

The DOWNLOAD update seems to be just for the oringina, game owenrs,althoughI could be enturely wrtong but the game play MUCH better with the EE installed engine... Not worth the headache ATM of experimenting, although I re-iterate that I think that the experimentation is pointless regardless of where the update button pushes you ATM..

1eyedking

Erudite
Starwars said:
The dialogues (talking about English here) are still pretty disjointed at times, but they do feel a bit more natural and are sometimes much more elaborate than I remember the original game being.
It's still not exactly amazing dialogue, but in my eyes it has gone from laughable (though there are still some really weird dialogues unfortunately) to OK, which is a pretty good step. It's actually probably the most important thing and while it is a fairly subtle change it has made the EE much more enjoyable for me.
Funny. I wonder if my fix still works, or would still be of use to anyone.

Playing the game with the uncut english subtitles and polish voices was a very memorable experience.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Any idea how much more accurate the EE translation is to the original Polish dialogues?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom