Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex's 2018 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Market saturation plays in our benefit currently and it will lead to an increase in quality because of higher competition eventually.
Or lead us into another dark age, as developers realize there is no more easy money to make here. Look at what happened after the market got saturated with tons of high quality RPGs in the early nineties.

S.torch

Arbiter
Or lead us into another dark age, as developers realize there is no more easy money to make here. Look at what happened after the market got saturated with tons of high quality RPGs in the early nineties.

What happened? Shouldn't tons of good RPGs be a good thing?

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just went to vote and didn't submit anything because I realized I haven't played anything new this year.... I don't think I can work a software engineering job staring at a screen all day, come home to take care of a toddler, and then have the energy to sit in front of a PC anymore. I think I've regressed to consoletard because it's just easier...

:negative:

There’s just not been a single title that has captured my attention to even possibly purchase and play. So I have not played anything on this list....

ATOM however, I will probably pick up at some point, as I am fairly sure I would enjoy that.

That happens when you're busy playing Shroud of the Avatar all day

I've been away from the Codex for some years but isn't this a pretty fucky way of voting for GotY? It seems skewed to favor gray flavorless nutrient-paste RPGs such as Deadfire over ones that inspire feeling in people like Kingmaker, simply because almost everyone will have played Deadfire and will vote "Yeah I guess it was okay", while fewer people vote Kingmaker and are more likely to go to the higher and lower ends for it since it isn't extruded generic RPG product.

Yeah Deadfire was alright when it just came out, improvement on most fronts compared to first pillars, some nice background stories and such. Solid 3/4, however after playing P:K I couldn't get back into Deadfire at all (wanted to check it out with all of the DLCs and patches, but nope, gave up about an hour in).

Ruzen

Savant
Wow what a year. Lot's of 1 but only one 4 and that is to my boy Phantom Doctrine!

miles teg

Scholar
Just went to vote and didn't submit anything because I realized I haven't played anything new this year.... I don't think I can work a software engineering job staring at a screen all day, come home to take care of a toddler, and then have the energy to sit in front of a PC anymore. I think I've regressed to consoletard because it's just easier...

:negative:
Man, I feel you. I'm only playing labyrinth of refrain on my switch, and I can't even put my headphones on because if my toddler wakes up I need to rush to the bedroom. Parenting is a RPG killer for sure.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hahaha, the main issue with the poll is that someone may like Deadfire.
Poll is tainted by nature, this forum is full of isometric nostalgiafags, the current year Baldur's Gate will always win.

I guess still better than the normie outlets sucking Monster Hunter's dick, that can't happen here.

Right?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not even the greatest amount of vote manipulation and shitty poll design will stop Kingdom Come Deliveroo from it's well deserved victory

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I've been away from the Codex for some years but isn't this a pretty fucky way of voting for GotY? It seems skewed to favor gray flavorless nutrient-paste RPGs such as Deadfire over ones that inspire feeling in people like Kingmaker, simply because almost everyone will have played Deadfire and will vote "Yeah I guess it was okay", while fewer people vote Kingmaker and are more likely to go to the higher and lower ends for it since it isn't extruded generic RPG product.

Felipepe usually posts the results in a chart that has the amount of votes and average rankings on separate dimensions.

Bohr

Arcane
Don't celebrate too soon Kingdom Comrades, my vote manipulation strategy still has a shot at delivering a well deserved win to Das Geisterschiff :salute:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I don't even remember if I voted in previous goty polls, but yeah, this one's p weird:

1. Having games like Fallout 76 in there is objectively stupid.
2. The poll should just be "pick one game in each category and be done with it". This rating thing just invites "look, I'm being clever on the internetz xdddd" inanity. Don't vote for a game if you didn't play it - cool, I'm sure people will listen and we will not be getting any "I'm just here to rate Deadfire 4 and Pathfinder 1 or vice versa" votes at all. Actually, the stone age method of voting by posts would be the best to avoid it and has the added benefit of confirming people with shit taste.
3. Do we really need all the chinese shovelware in there? I mean, it makes sense in case of "big" ports like the dragon quest game or if there were any gems in there, but there really aren't.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I do the poll precisely to know if there are gems hidden in the list. If I just add the big titles, we're just circle-jerking. Might as well do like IGN and PC Gamer and act as if only Obsidian and InXile make non-AAA RPGs.

For example, I had never heard of Star Traders: Frontiers before, but it's been doing quite well at the poll.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well ok, although I'm pretty sure we won't be finding many of those among playstation port with anime girls #175.

What about just setting categories and allowing the voters to pick any game they like, as long as it was released in 2018?

V_K

Arcane
What about just setting categories and allowing the voters to pick any game they like, as long as it was released in 2018?
Because it'll turn into popularity contest and people will start naming games they think have a chance to win rather than games they like the most. That's how it's done everywhere else and the results are about as exciting as doing the dishes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom