Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex's 2018 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Exactly. Polls that don't weight votes are just stupid popularity contests. You find out the game that people played the most and that's it.

Also, your biggest issue seems to be "scrolling down is hard".

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I do the poll precisely to know if there are gems hidden in the list.
Just play the games for 10 minutes or watch a youtube video on it. There is no need to make a whole poll about it. Also half the codex are popamolists that play only famous games that come from studios like Obsidian.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Just went to vote and didn't submit anything because I realized I haven't played anything new this year.... I don't think I can work a software engineering job staring at a screen all day, come home to take care of a toddler, and then have the energy to sit in front of a PC anymore. I think I've regressed to consoletard because it's just easier...

:negative:
Man, I feel you. I'm only playing labyrinth of refrain on my switch, and I can't even put my headphones on because if my toddler wakes up I need to rush to the bedroom. Parenting is a RPG killer for sure.

I feel you both, I remember how I was working on plant, and the only game I played was FNV, played it at night, went to plant next day, and there slept standign up under a creak of conveyor hydraulics.
I could lose an arm there. Because of FNV lol.
So yeah, sometimes you have no stamina to play anything.
That's why I quit working.

miles teg

Scholar
Just play the games for 10 minutes or watch a youtube video on it. There is no need to make a whole poll about it. Also half the codex are popamolists that play only famous games that come from studios like Obsidian.
Youtube is cool to understand if you might like the game type, but doesn't give you any data about the quality of the game. I mean, if I watch a Pillars of Eternity gameplay video on youtube, it looks like a IE game on steroids, it doesn't say anything about the excessive verbosity, the stats that have little impact on the build and so on

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Just went to vote and didn't submit anything because I realized I haven't played anything new this year.... I don't think I can work a software engineering job staring at a screen all day, come home to take care of a toddler, and then have the energy to sit in front of a PC anymore. I think I've regressed to consoletard because it's just easier...

:negative:
Man, I feel you. I'm only playing labyrinth of refrain on my switch, and I can't even put my headphones on because if my toddler wakes up I need to rush to the bedroom. Parenting is a RPG killer for sure.

I feel you both, I remember how I was working on plant, and the only game I played was FNV, played it at night, went to plant next day, and there slept standign up under a creak of conveyor hydraulics.
I could lose an arm there. Because of FNV lol.
So yeah, sometimes you have no stamina to play anything.
That's why I quit working.

I recently discovered how it is possible to play games during the nights while resting in bed. It requires less stamina...

18j2bqhsfntywjpg.jpg

Plus, I usually play games while doing other things... (Many games are so boring that I need to switch my attention periodically to something else, in any case.)
However, I have to say that in my case my daily work is not too stressful, so I manage to keep some stamina for other activities. 2018 is my top year for number of games played (although very few of them are in the pool.)

cybercycle2.jpg

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Youtube is cool to understand if you might like the game type, but doesn't give you any data about the quality of the game. I mean, if I watch a Pillars of Eternity gameplay video on youtube, it looks like a IE game on steroids, it doesn't say anything about the excessive verbosity, the stats that have little impact on the build and so on
It is good to see if the game is worth checking out.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
as long as it takes to obtain the correct result

Announcing your own site soon?

www.zombo.com

Raise that left hand of yours. Put it where your joined date and your parrot count is.

Now read your own posts.

Congratulations: the petulant child is now obvious to you, as it is to us.

Oh and by the way, I would have suggested a simple excercise of imagination: read Darth Roxor's posts without looking at his joined date, parrot count, or monocled status - and judge for yourself if he's posting shit or not, but let's face it - too much work when it comes to your posts.

Glad to see the averadge word count in your posts increase from 6 - 7 words, to now 8-9 words. Keep it up~! <3

Alex

Arcane
If google sheets tell me that 15 votes where exactly the same IN A ROW, all giving 4/4 to Fallout 76 and AssCreed... then yeah, I'm removing that shit. Like I did in every poll before.

This... explains a lot.

as long as it takes to obtain the correct result

Announcing your own site soon?

www.zombo.com

(snip...)

When I try opening zombo, it only says that the plugin is not supported :(

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
When I try opening zombo, it only says that the plugin is not supported :(

Are you surprised that some ancient and outdated piece of technology is circlejerked on the Codex?

The best RPG of 2018 is arguably Red Dead Redemption 2, which has more reactivity than 98% of RPGs.

Reactivity not being the same as consequences is one of the biggest things people misunderstand. Reactivity is some dialogue change in the final quest dialogue, consequences is when you go ah fuck I wish I did...

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Although I liked Hero-U, I have to give it to Pathfinder: Kingmaker this year. All told, though, it was a pretty weak year for RPGs. Funny thing, though: If these games came out 10 years ago we'd be calling it a year of incline, since Geneforge V was probably the only 2008 standout. We expect a bit better now after being spoiled the last few years.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi!

gosh. Gosh. GOSH!

We are walking down memory lane together again felipepepe just like in 2017 on this same month I joined as Randal and we became friends in the RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting post. :hug:

Again you have done wonders to list the games of 2017 for voting and to bring attention to so many no-name titles yet again which I have never heard of. Friends I made back then like Hngh, Grape_You_In_the_Mouth, Joni Odin von Hassenstein, One-and-a-half-Ivan, santino27, AwesomeButton, Crooked Bee, ESh, Prime Junta, Fry, Aarik, Jinn, Fairfax, Rivmusique, omg what about Seethe, CptMace, prodigydancer, adler, vmar!! imweasel, Morkar, Bumvelcrow, Josh, SausageInYourFace, Perkel, Hobo Elf, Bonerbill, Siveon, Mazisky, Latro, Ninja Destroyer, Sagani, Bubbles, Crispy, Delterius, Jaeson, Jasede, Infinitron, Dark Underlord, Jim the Dinosaur, Kev Inkline, Anthony, mibbles, Orma, Scrooge, sstacks, Sigourn, Barabus, Dreed, Nekot-The-Brave, Reapa, taxalot, Valky, and to anyone I forgot, thank-you too for making me feel welcome.

So not much to pick from because like all the other Game of the Year, I only vote on what I have played and that game has been a lot of fun despite not getting as much time as I would like to be able to play it. No surprises here. DEADFIRE has my vote because it has brought another part of the world alive for me, exploring it with old friends and expanding on the lore of the world that I really have enjoyed. If in another two years we are back here again to discuss the multiplayer version of Pillars of Eternity 3, then it will probably be a favorite of mine because despite people not liking the game it is what I have really liked myself and there is a lot to like about it. NPCs have their own portrait, there is additional history and lore added from the first game, there is voices for all of the people you meet, lots of exploration, wide range of class choices, superb itemization, and the game just feels vast compared to the first game.

Well I think it is time for a glass of wine and thanks again for the hard work in putting the poll together. I hope it is an honest breakdown and not a witch hunt.

Thanks,
Sherry

Generic-Giant-Spider

KCD or Kingmaker. So this is how it feels like to see both your children hang off a cliff and you can only save one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom