Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny + Bastard's Wound Expansion Thread

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Playing this for the first time... gotta say despite the shitty combat & uninteresting char development, the story and characters keep me hooked. Feels a bit unpolished and rushed tho. Probably it was a bad deal when it got released around €40, but at the current sale price under €15 I'd say it's a decent purchase.

If they already have PoE, they should have made Tyranny turn-based. With a decent TB system, the nice writing and setting they already made and the beautiful art style would have made it one of the best RPGs of the decade. Oh well, button mashing time.

Puukko

Arcane
I just started it as it is included with Nitro. Early impressions are positive. I am more of a fan of turn-based as well, but it's too early to tell if I like the combat or not. What story exposition there is so far got me interested, at least.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The writing is terrible, don't know what you people are on. Wait until you get to the point where a lesbian kills her wife because she was smiling too much. Seriously, though, the writing is cringe.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The writing is terrible, don't know what you people are on. Wait until you get to the point where a lesbian kills her wife because she was smiling too much. Seriously, though, the writing is cringe.

In Lethian’s crossing? I think you missed a lot of context there. She married her wife for the money and she killed her for the inheritance.

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
Wait until you get to the point where an event happens. You'll be laughing out the other side of your face then

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
THE DEAD DO NOT SMILE.
That-smile-the-sexy-vampire-alucard-33639075-531-357.png

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

Well, I am just level 4, thanks for ruining my expectations.

Unless they wrote that scene as a comedy, in that case it'd be :incline:

turkishronin

Arcane

emm you picked the wrong part, that quest was actually kind of interesting. She used the confusion to kill her and blamed the mercenaries for her murder.
Also I too really find people who are overly happy quite annoying.
The worst part of the writing is your encounter with Kills-In-Shadows and her entire character.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Ended chapter one around level 6. Writing has been alright so far. I wish they would trim the text tho... Feels like most dialogues would serve their purpose just fine with half the word count.

Combat is still a hot mess... And getting worse. I have no way to protect my casters as enemies just bypass tanks and stab them dead. I guess I'll just give them heavy armor, better to have a spellcaster with a cooldown penalty than a dead spellcaster. All of this playing on Hard.

2house2fly

Magister
Ah, just you wait. Very soon now you'll come across some dialogue that seems like it was written by someone whose political beliefs are different from yours, and then it's to the recycle bin with this trash.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I have no way to protect my casters as enemies just bypass tanks and stab them dead. I guess I'll just give them heavy armor, better to have a spellcaster with a cooldown penalty than a dead spellcaster.

That's what I did and it worked just fine on hard difficulty. If nobody can get through your armor while you're having a cooldown, it doesn't matter that it takes a bit longer. Though I still tried to keep it reasonable and equipped pretty good armor, but not necessarily the one with the largest cooldown - especially if the armor difference to a much faster armor was not that great.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
I have no way to protect my casters as enemies just bypass tanks and stab them dead.
You're not playing correctly. :M

The saddest part is, it is really not making too much of a difference, I still win :decline:

You really need to play on PotD for a consistent challenge, and even then when you get enough spell slots the game gets pretty easy about halfway through as you can endlessly spam spells at the enemy. Putting your mages in heavy armor will make their casting slower, so if you’re looking for a more difficult experience, that’s the way to go.

If you want to protect your squishy spellcasters, there are lots of abilities that can keep enemies away from them. Barrick can taunt and engage multiple foes. IIRC your Fatebinder can do the same thing if you make him tanky (although what loyal supporter of Kyros isn’t a tankie?). Verse can slow enemies dramatically or nail them in place with some of her archer abilities—I think your Fatebinder can do the same but I’ve never done a ranged run—Roguey?

That’s not even counting the many crowd control spells that can keep your enemies away from Lantry/Eb/a magically inclined Fatebinder. Try playing with some of the permutations for the illusion and atrophy sigils. You can get them both early on. Crippling Coil roots enemies in place in a 120 degree arc in front of the caster. I always like to keep some form of this on all my casters in case anyone gets too close. You can also freeze or stun enemies with ice and lightning spells, respectively.

Also, pretty sure you can spec both Eb and Sirin so that they can take a lot of punishment in light armor.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Level 7-8.

So far, when the writing deals about the evil empire, Kyros, the Archons, etc I find it enjoyable. When it's secondary characters telling me their backstory or proposing me secondary quests it feels like a bloated, predictable, forgettable waste of time. Those mercenaries on the bridge that won't let me pass, I talk to three of them through a huge tree of dialogue options. Eventually all I can do is kill them all. Yay. I guess this is because I sided with Disfavored? Then please make them attack me on sight and don't waste my time.

I see what they tried to do here. They tried to do AoD. In the end they just offer a limited form of branching, which is welcome and nice, but eventually I feel *very* railroaded, and with less freedom than in games without aforementioned branching but where I could truly wander and explore, like BG1.

Sannom

Augur
I have no way to protect my casters as enemies just bypass tanks and stab them dead.
Don't worry, the scouts with the "teleport and shockwave on arrival" ability will never be seen again. I don't understand why those guys were in the first chapter.

Those mercenaries on the bridge that won't let me pass, I talk to three of them through a huge tree of dialogue options. Eventually all I can do is kill them all. Yay. I guess this is because I sided with Disfavored?
No, I think it's because you were the Governor of Lethian's Crossing and kicked them out at the end of your tenure. I don't think they ransom people there when they're the ones in control of the town. At least they don't have a beef with you personally.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
No, I think it's because you were the Governor of Lethian's Crossing and kicked them out at the end of your tenure. I don't think they ransom people there when they're the ones in control of the town. At least they don't have a beef with you personally.

Nope, they don't allow me to enter Lethian's Crossing for the first time, so I could hardly govern it. I did all possible subquests to try to trigger new dialogues with them, and no luck. I killed them all and that was it. Felt a bit silly.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron

Nope, they don't allow me to enter Lethian's Crossing for the first time, so I could hardly govern it. I did all possible subquests to try to trigger new dialogues with them, and no luck. I killed them all and that was it. Felt a bit silly.

He’s talking about your decisions in conquest mode at the very beginning of the game. That’s where you have a chance to govern Lethian’s Crossing. If you don’t kick out the Bronze Brotherhood, they will continue to garrison the town (not the Disfavored) and they won’t block the bridge.

Sannom

Augur
What Kyl Von Kull said, although to clarify, you can't choose to kick out the Bronze Brotherhood when you're in charge of Lethian's Crossing, you will kick them out. If I remember right, that's Tunon's decision.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Certainly I don't remember anything about Lethian's crossing during the conqest (I am not 100% sure tho), is it mandatory to go there? I might have taken another route.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom