Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Is it safe to KO shop vendors in their sleep and steal all their shit while they are unconscious? If no one witnesses, will they be mad at me when they recover?

Asking for a friend.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Props on hauling in those bounties. I considered making a run at the Bugmaster but all of my characters are lightly armored glass cannons. An army of spiders is not a good style matchup -- in fact the other day I made a run at the Tower of Spiders and got absolutely wrecked.
You might try running or sneaking past some of the spider hordes. When I approached the Bugmaster's Citadel, there were two spider hordes nearby, and I knew that if I fought one the other would soon join the combat, but I was able to exploit the gap between them to reach the citadel without either pursuing.

Is it safe to KO shop vendors in their sleep and steal all their shit while they are unconscious? If no one witnesses, will they be mad at me when they recover?
I know that if a shopkeeper is aware of your theft, they will hold a grudge against you and refuse service, but I'm not sure what happens if you knock them out before robbing them blind. Try it and find out!

Sheepherder

Augur

Asking for a friend.
Be careful about KO'ing people in UC towns. Slavers and manhunters might pick them up and leave the store empty. It happened more often when I left the town and let it unload before the shopkeeper woke up after a KO.

Saduj

Arcane
Raided the Reaver base, Ark, last night.

One thing I hadn't realized is that when you are indoors, your characters will pull their backup weapons. Makes sense for characters with big weapons that have indoor penalties. But, my backup weapons are significantly worse than my main weapons and I didn't realize that this would happen until well into the battle. Didn't cause me to lose but next time I will be more careful.

Some bad screenshots:

The Reavers really aren't as strong as other factions in the area and the most challenging part was getting twenty characters controlled by Kenshi AI to go all the way up the two story ramp. In this shot, I still have seven or so guys trying to go after Reavers outside the base. As long as the combat lasted, I had characters trying to leave the building to go fight unseen Reavers outside. And at times the Reavers were reinforced by returning patrols.
qTu49z0.jpg

My best fighter squaring up against Valamon. He is significantly outclassed and fighting with a Skeleton Smiths III longsword instead of his Edge 3 Falling Sun.
1JD2j00.jpg

Luckily, he soon had plenty of help. Miu, a martial artist, is doing some crazy kung fu move in the background.
fGKmV6s.jpg

Valamon's stats.
WneEuVU.jpg

Valamon's Meitou longsword. Yes, I am autistic about my guys having food and medical supplies. Those thinfish have been passed around from character to character for well over 100 days...
VxyV7fJ.jpg

Victory! Looting this place was a pain in the ass due to returning patrols and my guys trying to leave to aggro on dudes outside any time combat was going on inside. Eventually it slowed down, but I still didn't do a very thorough job and only found one CPU unit and some Skeleton Smith/Catun weapons.
dQ7yaXs.jpg

The journey to turn in Valamon for the 50K reward was not so bad. Three grass pirate patrols and a beak thing nest.
jGBBcOL.jpg

Bosses I've turned in for bounties and the weapons they dropped:

Dust King - don't remember
Tower of Ninjas Boss - Meitou Ninja Blade
Screamer the False - Meitou Heavy Polearm
Ponk - Meitou Holed Sabre - I didn't turn in him and Screamer. They might still be alive even.
Swamp Ninja boss - Skeleton Smiths III guardless katana - and actually by the time I figured out which one was her, she was dead
Red Sabre Boss - Meitou Horse Chopper
King Gurgler - Meitou Combat Cleaver
Preacher - Meitou Moon Cleaver
Valamon - Meitou Longsword
Gorillo Raiders Boss - Meitou Plank

Last edited:

Tovias

Learned
Raided the Reaver base, Ark, last night.

One thing I hadn't realized is that when you are indoors, your characters will pull their backup weapons. Makes sense for characters with big weapons that have indoor penalties. But, my backup weapons are significantly worse than my main weapons and I didn't realize that this would happen until well into the battle. Didn't cause me to lose but next time I will be more careful.
Did you notice something peculiar from Gorrillo's weapon?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
So, how drastic is power growth in this game? Can you solo trash bandit party with a high level character?

I think I've learned all the basics, now I have to figure out what kind of game I want to play. I'm thinking about "rock bottom", but Best Faction doesn't like prosthetics :/

Tovias

Learned
So, how drastic is power growth in this game? Can you solo trash bandit party with a high level character?

I think I've learned all the basics, now I have to figure out what kind of game I want to play. I'm thinking about "rock bottom", but Best Faction doesn't like prosthetics :/
Kenshi is a really good game to feel the power growth that your character goes through. From running away at the sight of hungry bandits to wiping them out as soon as you see them from pure fun.
3dD1vxa.png

Tovias

Learned
What's the optimal adventure party size? I have the classic six, thinking about seven.
Heavily depends on your playstyle. Some people play the game with armies of 30 something or more. While others have a single martial artist.

IMO that's a pretty optimal setup you have there. Maybe you could invest in a pack bull (elder bulls pack a mean punch). My own party has recently swelled to 15+ after an influx of liberated slaves, which has made the game feel a little impersonal for me, like an RTS. I should undertake some big offensive against the holy boys so as to lose a couple of the less remarkable ones.

to fix the impersonality there's all that "description" free space in every character sheet, every larper's dream. if only we could write in there...

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
World's coolest hunchback will be now the seventh and final member of my main party:
screenshot-8.jpg

This game is like crack cocaine... I should probably uninstall it for a bit.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What's the optimal adventure party size? I have the classic six, thinking about seven.
I eventually settled on 8 for my adventuring squad, enough to haul off large amounts of loot and deal with tougher fights, but not too many to make micromanaging combat (more of) a chore.

Deleted Member 16721

I eventually settled on 8 for my adventuring squad, enough to haul off large amounts of loot and deal with tougher fights, but not too many to make micromanaging combat (more of) a chore.

You micromanage combat? Wow. I never do that. Should I be doing that?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You micromanage combat? Wow. I never do that. Should I be doing that?
You should be micromanaging combat as little as possible, but micromanagement is a means to make ranged weapons overpowering --- almost gamebreaking --- and to easily kill creatures such as the Beak Things that have slow, evadable attacks. :M

Zanzoken

Arcane
Decided to invade a holy military base. Things got bloody:

eNWBls8.jpg
Good experience for the rookies, but I don't think it damages the opposing faction in a meaningful way unless you take out one of their leaders. So my next offensive will be to capture High Inquisitor Seta and pacify Stack.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom