Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Archaelund - new RPG from DavidBVal with turn-based tactical combat and first person exploration

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DavidBVal Why don't you promote your games more?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/exiledkingdoms/announcements/detail/3342135027709871420

Update 1.2.1118 released, and preliminary info about my next game.

Today's update brings 100% complete Polish translation and other small improvements/fixes. You can check the full changelog[www.exiledkingdoms.com] of the game for details.

Since September I've been working full time on my next project. It's still too early for a full announcement, but there's a few things I can share about it already.

Archaelund

Prepare yourself to take control a full party of adventurers, and explore the broken lands of the vast continent of Andoria, home of the fallen Empire. The Exiled Kingdoms are claiming the shores of their mythical Homeland, but they'll find the region is not as deserted as they expected... you'll explore freely a huge world full with small details and hidden secrets, and will get inmersed in dozens of small stories and quests, and a main plot of epic proportions (no, really!).

Archaelund features a very unique combination of real-time exploration and careful turn-based strategy during combat; you'll explore the world in first-person perspective in a 3D world, much like in the Elder Scrolls games or in the classic Wizardry or Might&Magic games. But battles will happen in isometric perspective! When combat begins the camera floats up to offer a top-down view of the scene, so you can individually control your party members. The idea is to have the best of both worlds: an immersive exploration and tactical combat at the same time, allowing huge epic battles..

One of the main aspects of the game is the Geryon Rulesystem. I've been working on it for over a year already, specifically for Archaelund. I believe it offers many interesting ideas of my own, but at the same time it's deeply inspired by the versatility and flavor from my favorite tabletop RPGs from the 80s (WFRP, AD&D, Runequest, Rolemaster...) . Geryon will offer endless character development options; you can go for a straightforward approach... but it'll also allow crazy builds, even crazier multiclassing, and you'll never run out of things to try, if that's your thing.

Content is, as EK players probably guess, another essential pillar of the game. Expect the same open-world design, and the same weird combination of seriousness and silly humor and themes you "enjoyed" in EK; yeah, I am afraid the terrible jokes stay, and might get even worse.

Note: despite taking place in the Exiled Kingdoms setting, Archaelund is a completely standalone game. It's a far more ambitious project in scope, both in terms of design, graphics and depth.

There's little else I can disclose at the time since development is still at a very early stage. But I'll make a proper and detailed announcement in the next weeks/months.

Last edited:

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Archaelund features a very unique combination of real-time exploration and careful turn-based strategy during combat; you'll explore the world in first-person perspective in a 3D world, much like in the Elder Scrolls games or in the classic Wizardry or Might&Magic games. But battles will happen in isometric perspective! When combat begins the camera floats up to offer a top-down view of the scene, so you can individually control your party members. The idea is to have the best of both worlds: an immersive exploration and tactical combat at the same time, allowing huge epic battles..
:takemymoney:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Earlier post from October: http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16645

About my next game (preliminary info!)

As you'll probably know, development of Exiled Kingdoms is officially complete with version 1.2 and even if it's possible I release more content in the years to come, right now my focus is on my next game.

This is just a preliminary announcement, as development is in a very early stage after only 6 weeks of work. I am aiming at at least 12-15 months of development before having a demo and maybe an Early Access release, followed by another 1-2 years to complete the game, so you can imagine what a very early stage we're in at this point.

A saner company or developer would probably wait a few months before giving out any details. But the community gathered here is pretty much like a family, so I'd love to share a few things about Project Geryon (which is not the real name of the game, just the "internal" codename). Some I've already mentioned elsewhere, other might be new. Feel free to ask questions as this is an open thread, although at this point there's not much I can share.

About the game

First of all, Geryon is not a sequel to Exiled Kingdoms, but a completely standalone game set in the EK world. It's a far bigger, more complex and ambitious game. I won't be holding anything back here, since the success of Exiled Kingdoms gives me the freedom to develop this game without making any compromises. Or that's the plan, at least
icon_e_wink.gif

Geryon will be a game mostly targeted at the PC platform, which will try to bring back the old flavor of the Golden Era of RPGs, pretty much like I tried to do with EK on mobile. I also plan a mobile release afterwards, just the opposite way I did with Exiled Kingdoms. I might also release on some popular consoles. At this point the only thing I can confirm 100% is the PC release, although I am aware of the EK mobile fanbase and will do all I can to have a proper mobile release as well.

You'll control a full party of adventurers, and explore the broken lands of the vast continent of Andoria, home of the fallen Empire. The Exiled Kingdoms are claiming the shores of their mythical Homeland, but they'll find the region is not as deserted as they expected... prepare yourself to be inmersed in dozens of small plots and quests over a large world map once again, and to face a main plot of epic proportions (no, really!).

The game will feature a very unique combination of real-time exploration and careful turn-based strategy during encounters; you'll explore the world in first-person perspective in a 3D world, much like in the Elder Scrolls games or in the classic Wizardry or Might&Magic games. But battles will happen in isometric perspective! When combat begins the camera floats up to offer a top-down view of the scene, so you can individually move your party members. The idea is to have the best of both worlds: an immersive exploration and tactical combat at the same time, allowing huge epic battles. As far as I know, no modern RPG has done this before; classical games like Pool of Radiance or Betrayal at Krondor did, but in a very limited way and using much simpler graphics.

I'm developing a full-fledged rule system for this game, with dozens of classes, skills and a huge list of spells and abilities. Still I'm carefully designing the preogression to make it intuitive and quick to understand. The combinations of races, classes and builds will be immense, so it's impossible to have everything on your party in a single playthrough.

Content will be, as you probably imagine, an important part of the game. Expect the same open-world design, and the same weird combination of seriousness and silly humor and themes you "enjoyed" in EK; yeah, I am afraid the terrible jokes stay, and might get even worse. I already have a large list of ideas for side-quests, and a very interesting plot in mind for the main quest as well; when all is said and done I'll try to have a game that spans over 100h for the "completionist" player.

Development Progress

After just a few weeks of development I'm very happy with the progress. The current build already allows the party to move around, shows a basic UI, transitions from one area to the next, and deals with the aforementioned "perspective change" when combat begins. It was for me very important to make sure the perspective-change was technically doable and didn't look confusing to the player, and after testing it I can say it works fine, I love it. I'd show a video, but I'm just using "placeholder" graphics and UI, so unfortunately you'll have to wait to see it working. It's unlikely that there's any screenshots or video in the next 5-6 months, because I'll be focusing on development first.

That's all for now, thanks for hanging out there and I hope you enjoyed the read!

Edit: slightly redacted for clarity.

frajaq

Erudite
Quick question about Exiled Kingdoms:

does it have waypoints/fast travel
does it have a stash for items that goes around the world with me

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath

Early game: no. Midgame: Recall Scrolls, boats and mage towers become affordable. Late game: teleport scrolls, and mages can teleport to towns at will. But there's no fast travel option "per se". There are some fun road encounters out there tho. In fact some quests can only be initiated via random road encounters.

Yes. Town halls sell you vaults, accessible from any other TH. There are, in the mid-late game, some ways to improve inventory options.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Early game: no. Midgame: Recall Scrolls, boats and mage towers become affordable. Late game: teleport scrolls, and mages can teleport to towns at will. But there's no fast travel option "per se". There are some fun road encounters out there tho. In fact some quests can only be initiated via random road encounters.

Yes. Town halls sell you vaults, accessible from any other TH. There are, in the mid-late game, some ways to improve inventory options.
You should have made a mage companion!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Quick question about Exiled Kingdoms:

I wouldn't recommend starting as rogue,they are pretty useless alone. Their flanking bonus damage is very hard to use because it works only from behind and getting to the exact place in this game is hard. If you do decide to be rogue just go and recruit the warrior companion,it is one screen to the right next to a ruin. Also don't even bother with archery,it is impossible to use it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This new game sounds more interesting than Exiled Kingdoms with it having turn based combat.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
:takemymoney:
That's a "watch thread" from me.

TigerKnee

Arcane
you'll explore the world in first-person perspective in a 3D world, much like in the Elder Scrolls games or in the classic Wizardry or Might&Magic games. But battles will happen in isometric perspective!
Finally, someone decided to develop the branch set out by the D&D Gold Box Games - it's been a pretty untapped formula so far.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Seen the screenshots so is this game worth buying Comrades? I like old school graphics but combat is in dirty RT after all and some claimed that is also junky? Don't know if to buy Vodka or this.

Don't be a fucking western degenerate mate,always go for the vodka!

When Game is good its not shame to buy her and Vodka too Comrade! :salute:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Seen the screenshots so is this game worth buying Comrades? I like old school graphics but combat is in dirty RT after all and some claimed that is also junky? Don't know if to buy Vodka or this.

Don't be a fucking western degenerate mate,always go for the vodka!

When Game is good its not shame to buy her and Vodka too Comrade! :salute:
True,ATOM went very well with a bottle of Putinka! But you question was about either one or another. Also the combat is very janky. It is diablo like but made for mobile. From the look of it the mage is the best class.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom