Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic

v1rus

Arcane
What would you guys say, whats the funnest way to play the game?

I was thinking of mage, cuz all of the "you freeze the floor, opponents fall of the cliffz, lulz" stories. How many such interactions are in the game?

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
How many such interactions are in the game?
Not many, most spells just deal direct damage.

Most fun I'd say is grabbing Telekenisis/Lockpick skill and just focusing on swinging your sword real good.
Maybe grab stuff like Freeze/Charm if you want to watch the AI do silly things.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

I was thinking of mage, cuz all of the "you freeze the floor, opponents fall of the cliffz, lulz" stories. How many such interactions are in the game?
Monk! Just go around and kick shit!

Sykar

Arcane
I had a lot of fun playing that Dark Messiah. Never did give two shits about story in first person action games. Graphics seemed nice at the time and I'm sure they still do. I'll have to give it a replay. Kicking orcs off of cliff edges never gets old.

It is not like the story in Dishonored is any better or deeper. Personally I prefer Dark Messiah over Dishonored. I finished Dark Messiah three times for the three archetypes. I have not finished Dishonored once.

DM is fun as hell, but it's mostly about fighting melee, pushing people off bridges and all that.

So is Dishonored. Story is pretty weak there too and the stealth is vastly inferior to actual stealth games like the Thief series or even Styx. If you go full magic then you are a god anyway and have no need for stealth unless you do not mind going full chaos ending.

Tigranes

Arcane
Can't comment on dishonoured, played it 5 minutes, realised the level was built for vertical movement but the enemies weren't so you could throw bombs on their face from above and they would run around confused. Uninstalled.

Jinn

Arcane

Get back to Arx Fatalis, punk!

Sykar

Arcane

Telekinesis is really fun. When you cannot let them slide off a cliff once you ragdoll an enemy by letting them slip on an ice patch you can lift them with telekinesis and do whatever you want with them, personal favorite of mine is throwing them up in the air and watch them fall to their demise. The mana cost for using TK on enemies instead of objects is pretty high though. Orcs and goblins are vulnerable to lightning and convulse brutal while you go Emperor Palpatine on their sorry asses. Charm is great fun to turn the odds in your favor against bigger groups. Fireball is one of the most fun implementations in any game which ever featured it. You build this ball of molten flame in your hand, slowly shaping it and then launch it. The explosion and consequent ragdolling is glorious.
Make no mistake though and completely neglect melee. You will use the quarterstaff quite a bit to save mana especially on the highest difficulty level. Later you get some slow regeneration in addition you will also get a staff which leeches mana while you beat the ever living crap out of your enemies.

v1rus

Arcane

Get back to Arx Fatalis, punk!

Was thinking of playing this first due to time constraints, since it looks like a smaller game, but I already made it well into Arx Fatalis. I even learned how to cast ignite well! 40% of time, it works every time.

Jinn

Arcane
Was thinking of playing this first due to time constraints, since it looks like a smaller game, but I already made it well into Arx Fatalis. I even learned how to cast ignite well! 40% of time, it works every time.

Yeah, Dark Messiah is probably about half the length or less of Arx Fatalis as far as I know.

Sykar

Arcane

Yeah, Dark Messiah is probably about half the length or less of Arx Fatalis as far as I know.

Are you sure? Arx always felt shorter to me than Dark Messiah.

I had a lot of fun with Dark Messiah. Did 3 play throughs. Most satisfying is as a mage/thief. You'll get the most out of the game's mechanics and design that way. Linear as hell, with a mediocre plot, but the dungeons are absolutely fantastic to crawl through. Arx Fatalis is a superior game, but Dark Messiah will give you a similar experience that is more forgiving and easy to partake in.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
Why is this still not on GOG? It's not like this was some wildly popular game for which devs could (twistedly) justify forcing DRM.
Also:
The visuals have aged much better than Oblivion, Titan Quest, NWN2, Gothic 3, and the other 2006 RPGs.
Yes, but in Oblivion's case, that shouldn't surprise anybody. I know this is beating a very beaten drum, but something, something, every object can move and has its position recorded.
Oblivion often looks better than Skyrim.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Stop shitting on Dark Messiah of Might and Magic's story. I appreciate Arkane's quality fantasy schlock, because god knows, they can't handle anything more ambitious.

Sexdemon and spunky blonde mage fighting over your dick > grimdark steampunk deadbeat dad simulator.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I took Arx Fatalis (hadn't played it in a while), Prey and Dark Messiah in a sale. I played all three and realized they were all by the same dev. And it was the same as Dishonored too. Logical that I found similarities.

That being said, what other good FPS/Immersive Sim/RPG-lite like that exist and are good ? I'll be honest I prefered the combat of DM over Prey. The melee in DM was actually satisfying. Not perfect, but cool none the less.

Citizen

This is one of the few GOOD ubisoft games, but...

WHY THE FUCK DOES IT CHANGE MY KEYBOARD LAYOUT TO FRENCH, UBISOFT YOU FUCKING BAGUETTES!??!?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom