Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantom Brigade - Frozen Synapse with mechs

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was 100% on board with this until I saw the "cinematic" descriptor. Now, I'm scared, so I was hoping somebody would have some positive way that word could be taken. I'm worried it means the game is mostly cutscenes, possibly with quick-time events, since that's how most games that are called "cinematic" will play.

Cael

Arcane
I was 100% on board with this until I saw the "cinematic" descriptor. Now, I'm scared, so I was hoping somebody would have some positive way that word could be taken. I'm worried it means the game is mostly cutscenes, possibly with quick-time events, since that's how most games that are called "cinematic" will play.
Be assured that that is only a possibility. And you can rest easy as that is actually the lower likelihood.

The greater likelihood is a game that spent most of itself on the cutscenes and virtually no time on playtesting, bug-hunting, script writing and anything that would make for a good game and not just a visual novel.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
How about we send a distress signal to that dev who in this thread used to answer every question and promise that everyone's wettest mech dream will come to life on this game's release date? That they'll Make Mechs Great Again!

Sir bac9, can you quench/add fuel to Codex's fears about game development's changes (namely ownership restructure) and how much did it influence game itself?

In short: Codex supports selling out for BIG money. Enough to start making real life mechs. Anything less then that is cheap & unacceptable!

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Could also mean that they're going for a Front Mission style of presentation during the battles when attacks happen (at least occasionally)? At least, that would make more sense given the genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsDnIe_ypSc (shit quality oh well)

lightbane

Arcane
So, now this is considered a RPG. Good I guess? Although, shouldn't the presence of mechs, aka a Weaboo-inspired element make the game a JRPG actually? :troll:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
From discord:

Chad JenkinsYesterday at 10:11 PM
We're still messing with the balance of tanks, so this is just from our current internal testing.
In the scenario we've been testing with, you're up against about 5 tanks and an enemy mech, with 2 mechs yourself.
An individual tank can mess you up if you let it hit you with the main cannon, though really a mech is able to outmaneuver it and get it in the rear armor pretty easily. They're a big threat when they're fighting together.
I think the goal is to have the tanks be a big enough threat you have to take them seriously, even if it's a single one.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
From discord:

Chad JenkinsYesterday at 10:11 PM
We're still messing with the balance of tanks, so this is just from our current internal testing.
In the scenario we've been testing with, you're up against about 5 tanks and an enemy mech, with 2 mechs yourself.
An individual tank can mess you up if you let it hit you with the main cannon, though really a mech is able to outmaneuver it and get it in the rear armor pretty easily. They're a big threat when they're fighting together.
I think the goal is to have the tanks be a big enough threat you have to take them seriously, even if it's a single one.

Battletech on suicide watch?
One can only hope.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This looks good; I'll keep it on the radar. I keep saying though, that someone should make a Transformers RPG. Yes - I'm serious. Look at the lore and set it on cybertron.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I've got no idea what this techno-bable from their Discord means:

Chad JenkinsToday at 1:24 AM
Either way, we moved to using ECS for the level simulation and rendering
So I can now move the entire rendering stack to the GPU
ECS is an old concept
Unity is the first non AAA engine to implement it
Chad JenkinsToday at 1:25 AM
We're using their new ECS stuff, which they just came out with
Long story short, no overhead, super fast

As you can see, this rendering technique is super fast
That's a really complicated prop from Phantom Brigade, with a fairly complex shader on it
Even supports shadows

Chad JenkinsToday at 1:36 AM
Well, the next big push is to have a build out for PAX East

The Fish

Arcane
I've got no idea what this techno-bable from their Discord means:

Either way, we moved to using ECS for the level simulation and rendering
So I can now move the entire rendering stack to the GPU
ECS is an old concept
Unity is the first non AAA engine to implement it
We're using their new ECS stuff, which they just came out with
Long story short, no overhead, super fast

As you can see, this rendering technique is super fast
That's a really complicated prop from Phantom Brigade, with a fairly complex shader on it
Even supports shadows

Chad JenkinsToday at 1:36 AM
Well, the next big push is to have a build out for PAX East

Unity now has an "entity component system" architecture which optimises for cache coherence, this will help optimisation:

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
From Discord:
Our current plan, is that we'll likely release the game as Early Access when it's ready
Get it to a really good place, and then do a full release with potentially console ports at that time
With the understanding that I want the Early Access game we do release to completely stand on its own. Not use it to fix a broken game.
I want you to be able to day one purchase if we did Early Access, and be happy with what you've gotten. If that makes sense
Then just keep making it more awesome, and adding a bunch of extra stuff, like more weapons, mechs, etc
Mission Scenarios, that sort of thing

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
They seem to be going for WEGO turn system.
Discord stuff:
Chad JenkinsToday at 9:10 PM
Any gameplay videos out there are out of date though
Haha yea, the buildings falling are a key feature
We've been focusing on making things a lot more dynamic
So you can for example, a shoot a mech's leg out while it's running and it will go tumbling through a building.
That sort of thing
That's part of the reason why we've not shown anything lately, we've made massive changes, and we're getting everything back to show quality.
No one wants to see mechs sliding around in T-Pose until we get the new animations in haha

That interests me
Does it work on some kind of overwatch system?
Chad JenkinsToday at 9:22 PM
What happens is that you can see into the future one turn. It's not perfect precognition, you only know what they intend to do.
So you plan out your moves with that in mind, for example aiming for the mech's legs. Then the action plays out

Chad JenkinsToday at 9:23 PM
You get all sorts of chaotic style interactions from that, in testing I blew the treads out of a tank, he spun out and took out the legs of a mech running at full tilt on the enemy team

Yea
We want you to be able to actually have teamwork between units
So you can do things like hit someone from behind while he's focused on your shield mech
We couldn't get that with the previous discrete turns
We tried a lot of different solutions
Such as interruptions, overwatching and counter attacks
Chad JenkinsToday at 9:25 PM
The pace was really slow, and it didn't feel like you're watching a mecha anime. Which is our goal in regards to presentation
Oh, absolutely
Chad JenkinsToday at 9:26 PM
Or, have a mech charge someone down with a shield, then you have your team mate jump out at the last minute and shotgun them in the face.We're still iterating on things, though I've been having a lot of fun with it

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron

edit.
more discord stuff:
unknown.png

unknown.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom