Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

passerby

Arcane
On another note, who the fuck is reading these 1st party magazines/sites? Do people actually pay to be advertised to?
Like it's any different with the rest of the gaming press.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
jqtmmkav_1qm1dvf_1cix1s4.png

Zep--

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Which is why I pointed to the entire AAA industry post 2004 and also mentioned EA/Ubisoft, some of the biggest publishers who're following the same trend that's been going on since this has been the case.

Bethesda is one of the easier companies to look at this with though as you have the very easy comparison to look at between Fallout 3 and New Vegas. On the surface and if only watching minor game play footage, New Vegas looks like an almost identical expansion pack but obviously if you play them both they're very, very different. It's not just a matter of "better writing, better perks" which is what you'll usually see on somewhere like reddit, they've been designed with a very different approach from the start.

In Fallout 3 while there's a few side quests, and a few settlements it's just a simple game play loop that Bethesda wanted to perfect, that is go anywhere, find outpost/dungeon, clear it, loot it, rinse and repeat. They want you to do this over the whole map, it takes 80 hours and they want you to have that "reward" feeling at the end of each of the location so you keep going. Any NPCs and the handful of quests are just there to add some purpose to the world you're doing this in. That's all it is, and anyone, not just RPG fans feel the same accomplishment which is why they've gone down that road.

NV is completely different in that it plays like a pre-2004 RPG. Yes, you could approach it the same with given on the surface it all looks the same but if you do, you're just going to find boring caves and the odd one room shack. This is why there's a clear path for most people to go south and all the way around to The Strip, because it actually plays like the Black Isle era RPGs, there's just a lot more filler because they were stuck with Bethesda's engine and were probably instructed to make the game similar to Fallout 3 (open world). If Obsidian had free reign with the license (and it still had to be an FPS) I would've expected it to be hub based like TOW.
The sad thing is, when you describe the game loop, it's 1:1 PoE Deadfire.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
It is time for this thread to turn in to realisation one,that the game will be mediocre at best and most likely shit.
The more I hear about this game the more I lose interest. Bioshock with a hint of Fallout 3 sounds like such a horribly banal and unmemorable experience, I already had my fill of that with Pillars 1.

"Fans of single player RPGs are crying out for a game such as this"
I'm crying alright.
:negative:

Big Wrangle

Journalists compare literally anything to BioShock so...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Duraframe300

Arcane
Journalists compare literally anything to BioShock so...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It doesn't even make sense, because the only reason the bioshock comparison exists in the first place are the art style of the advertisments. People literary made up rumors that its going to play in Bioshock's timeline before the trailer came out because of it.

ciox

Liturgist
So there's nothing about what this game's RPG system actually looks like? Beyond that there's flaws and perks? What happened to the geometrical shapes?

Duraframe300

Arcane
So there's nothing about what this game's RPG system actually looks like? Beyond that there's flaws and perks? What happened to the geometrical shapes?
Not much. There are 6 attributes, three of whom are endurance, willpower and temperament. Skills go up to a 100 I think.

ciox

Liturgist
Not much. There are 6 attributes, three of whom are endurance, willpower and temperament. Skills go up to a 100 I think.
I see, I'm gonna guess the geometrical shapes will just be a character creation crutch, kind of like the pre-made characters in Fallout 1 and 2.

Father Foreskin

Learned
The color palette seems to be low key gay. Not flamboyant gay parade rainbow flag gay. Its like one of the elderly bear-bodied gentlemen drinking a beer but looking a bit off. Like having a pink bow tie or something.

Edit: this is not an insult. I dont do sodomy but i have nothing against grizzly gentlemen. The gay paraders should be gassed for making noise though.

Last edited:

Loostreaks

Learned

He makes a good point, entire flaws system seems gimmicky and counterintuitive. " What does not kill you, only makes you stronger".
At best this will good, all around rpg with poor gameplay and "iffy" writing/world. But don't expect anything innovative/revolutionary from the "old guard"

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I view this flaws system from a more mechanistic perspective. It's a way to implement Fallout-style Traits that allows the player to make a more informed choice (because the trait is selected not at character creation but in the middle of the game as a response to certain relevant situations he's encountered)

That's a more important thing to have for Traits because unlike other character improvements they have negative aspects.

Modron

Arcane
The Outer World is hardly the first game to have a take more flaws to take more boons system. I wouldn't say it's counterintuitive just a means by which to add facets to character customization. Granted those facets are not going to be interesting if they don't really change gameplay at all and are just small penalties and bonuses.

Loostreaks

Learned
I view this flaws system from a more mechanistic perspective. It's a way to implement Fallout-style Traits that allows the player to make a more informed choice (because the trait is selected not at character creation but in the middle of the game as a response to certain relevant situations he's encountered)

That's a more important thing to have for Traits because unlike other character improvements they have positive and negative aspects.

It worked in Arcanum, because it made sense and added some backstory to the player. In this case, better option would be that game monitors how you're dealing with certain type of enemy/situations, based on number of parameters ( how much damage you take, how long encounter lasts, success/fail checks, reloads, etc, etc) , and automatically assigns you a pro&cons trait based on it.
You're not going to get better at crafting, simply because you're more afraid of robots.
Wider audience would probably be pissed at it/option to disable, but this could be a good option for more dynamic/"chaotic" char building.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well the crucial aspect is that you get to make the choice of whether to take the flaw/trait, both here and in Fallout. A condition that you're forced to get would be something else.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
It's a way to implement Fallout-style Traits that allows the player make a more informed choice
How often do you decide to be afraid of something in real life? Never. And how often do your fears make you better at something else? Also never. The concept is absurd and probably even insulting to people who have PTSD -- big shock: the pampered feminazi writers who conflate "things me no like" with personal attacks and debilitating psychological disorders don't actually understand what a phobia is. Arrogance, and from a gameplay perspective, immersion breaking.

Here's how fear would work if they weren't abject retards:
- Big-baddie-type1 kills companion / gets you down to near death multiple times in one battle OR consistently get sneak attacked in the dark OR whatever else
- Develop phobia. Flat debuff.
- Need to find ways to either overcome and "cure" the phobia, like taking drugs, having certain tools or companions that negate the phobia, paying a psychiatrist lots of money, getting a sci-fi surgery that removes the bad memory, going on a genocide mission to rebuild your character's confidence, etc.

In other words, fears as a proxy of gameplay shouldn't translate to Fallout-style traits. If they want traits, then just put in traits.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How often do you decide to be afraid of something in real life? Never. And how often do your fears make you better at something else? Also never.

Well okay, but how often do you suddenly gain the ability to pick more advanced locks after you've killed enough monsters. That sort of "retroactive character building" isn't actually that unusual in RPGs. You could say that in a certain sense, your character was ALWAYS a master lockpicker or always afraid of spiders, but you had to play until a certain point before the game allowed you to express it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom