Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Legend of Heroes Thread - Trails of Cold Steel in the Sky

Jinn

Arcane
There is nothing wrong with Hard mode and shame on you for spreading misinformation HoboForEternity!

MicoSelva, much like in a challenging Shin Megami Tensei game, there are generally viable ways to overcome any tough encounter without chipping away at HP. You usually just have to be a little clever about how you're using the tools at your disposal. If you want a good challenge and some of the most interesting JRPG combat ever as a result, pick Hard.

Also, grinding is pretty much discouraged. You can do it, but the game lets you know when it becomes futile and when it's time to start using your brain to figure out an encounter.

Last edited:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Due to the way damage calculations work in TiTS, you have to commit to the offensive stats to actually deal good damage on higher difficulties. As in, magically oriented and support characters will deal much less physical damage than they would on normal/easy but high strength characters will deal almost as much damage. The actual enemy HP difference between difficulty levels isn't that big.

Also, magic damage is "easier" to deal, as in, even characters who aren't pure casters can deal decent magic damage, especially if the enemy is weak to certain elements. Just don't use offensive spells with characters with criminally low ATS like Zin.

The only Trails enemies that I think have excessive amounts of health and take too long to kill are

Angel Weissman in SC and Anima Mundi in 3rd, ie. the very final boss of each game.

Last edited:

Doktor Best

Arcane
When i took a look at the first TITS game there was no easy option. Just normal, hard and nightmare. As i am a challenge fag and JRPGS usually are too easy for my taste, i took the last option. Did i fuck up and should i start a new game on hard?

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Easy mode was only added in TiTS 3, I think.

The first game is easiest of the three so starting it on nightmare is fine, you just need to know and get used to certain things. These apply to the entire trilogy:

-there are only two "tank" characters who can take multiple hits before dying and neither of them is available until later in the game. Most characters will die in 2-3 hits even from regular enemies unless you are seriously above their level. You should normally put your characters in the back row and bombard the enemies with spells to weaken them as much as possible before they get to you and you should also keep your characters at full health all the time. Healing spells have the fastest cast time in the game so it's not too difficult.

-on nightmare, enemies have a huge speed boost in the TiTS trilogy (much bigger than in the later Trails games), so it's a given that they pretty much always get the first turn unless you get a preemptive attack during normal fights. You should preferably equip all characters with Action quartz to increase their speed so the enemy doesn't overwhelm you with the amount of turns they get. One of the two main/starting characters, Joshua, is the fastest character in the entire trilogy so make use of that.

-most enemies, even some bosses, are vulnerable to strong status effects like petrification, instant death and confusion. Confusion is particularly useful since there is low cost spell called Chaos Brand that has 100% chance of confusing enemies who are not immune to it, and confusion in these games basically makes enemies your allies since confused enemies attack other enemies 95% of the time.

-if you find a battle impossible, there is sort of a "cheat" tool in the game. In the options menu, there is an option called "retry offset" which weakens the enemies every time you die and retry. And these games are pretty lenient since you can always retry from the start of the battle if you lose, instead of going back to the previous save.

Doktor Best

Arcane
So i just finished the prologue of FC and i am already hooked by the writing/worldbuilding. The combat so far is also really good. The endfight gave me a pretty hard time, but i wont complain since i am the idiot who picked nightmare difficulty as a newcomer to the series:lol: The only minor complaint would be that character development is a bit barebones up until now.

The game doesnt feel like a typical J-RPG in many regards, which is also very refreshing and came unexpected since this genre tends to follow very narrow design guidelines.

Thanks to my fellow codexians who were gushing so hard about this game, wouldnt have bought it otherwise.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
NIS America to announce new title on January 17

NIS America will announce a new title, likely a localization of an already-announced Japanese title, on January 17, the publisher teased in an e-mail sent to press today.

Happy 2019! It feels awesome greeting you in the new year, dood! What’s even greater is that we have a new title announcement coming up January 17th, with a follow-up panel at PAX South on the 18th at 11 AM CST in Falcon Theatre!

Stay tuned.

Thanks, Nintendo Soup (via GoNintendo).

:shredder:

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
DxHoGtuVAAMLfsF.jpg:large

clear.png
clear.png
Fabulously optimistic

Gearmos

Educated
The hashtag was #TrialsofColdSteelIII instead of #TrailsofColdSteelIII, so here is the new tweet:

Well that's a good sign. Let's hope they won't fuck it up... . Though I highly doubt that the PC version will be as good as the previous ones.

Right now it's a PS4 exclusive... They probably don't want a repeat of the YS VIII fiasco and won't say anything until the port is almost done and working. They should hire Durante.

Gearmos

Educated

Deleted member 7219

Don’t care that it’s NISA if previous Trails talent is on board. It will be consistent with previous localisations thanks to that.

Falcom will have come down hard on them after the Ys 8 fuck up. And if they’ve really been working on this since 2017 then it’s not a rush job.

If the Rean VA is back then it is likely the others are back too.

I don’t mind there won’t be a PC version at launch. Trails is the best video game series out there right now - it is well worth the double dip.

I’m just happy it’s finally been announced.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Don’t care that it’s NISA if previous Trails talent is on board. It will be consistent with previous localisations thanks to that.

Falcom will have come down hard on them after the Ys 8 fuck up. And if they’ve really been working on this since 2017 then it’s not a rush job.

If the Rean VA is back then it is likely the others are back too.

I don’t mind there won’t be a PC version at launch. Trails is the best video game series out there right now - it is well worth the double dip.

I’m just happy it’s finally been announced.
Let's just hope Sara's VA (Carrie Keranen) is back...

Dodo1610

Arcane
Guys the game isn't a "real!" PS4 excklusive. Real PS4 exclusives have the Playstaion Clip before the trailer and this one hasn't. There is no good reasion to think that we won't be getting a PC port later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom