Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are your favorite videogame genres?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
For a whle I've almost exclusively played nothing but RPGs. Yet some of my favorite games back when I was at school were not RPGs at all, like Driver, Gran Turismo 2, or Soul Reaver. Last year, however, I took a break from playing RPGs and played (and really enjoyed) both Hollow Knight and Cuphead.

The idea of this thread is to mention your favorite genres (roleplaying games aside), keep it to five at max, and mention three games (if you can) that are your favorites from said genres. Optional: describe what do you find engaging about that genre.

Poseidon00

Arcane
RPGs obviously top the list.

Fighting games are a close second. Just brainless fun for the most part and sometimes an interesting setting. Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom 3 and 2, and once in a while Dragon Ball Tenkaichi 3.

Monster raising/collecting games. Monster rancher, Shin Megami Tensei kind of bridges this genre and RPG, even gen 1-3 pokemon isn't bad. Almost every good game in this genre is wildly different and I like them all for different reasons.

Tactics RPGS. Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together, Disgaea 1 and 2, Phantom Brave, Final Fantasy Tactics, enough good games in this genre to waste hundreds of hours. Tactics Ogre in particular has an excellent story and great postgame content, while Disgaea has it's own unique charm and personality that never gets old.

I despise FPS and MMOs. Unplayable to me.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
4x/building games - Civilisation series, Medieval: Total War, Age of Wonders series, Grand Ages Rome etc etc

Adventure/Puzzle - Broken Sword, Nancy Drew, Alone in the Dark, Hidden Object Games (HOGs) etc

Team Tactics/Team Missions - Worms, Myth series, Robin Hood: The Legend of Sherwood, Armed and Dangerous, etc

Also partial to Tower Defence, but other than Plants vs Zombies that genre is mostly just about selecting the latest free flash game & playing it until bored of it. Looking forward to playing They Are Billions when they're ready for 1.0

Last edited:

Melcar

Arcane
Aside from my main favorites, rpg and tactics games, 2d fighters are a guilty pleasure. Sure, the genre is a shadow of what it was back in the late 80s and 90s, but I enjoy firing up MAME to play some old school KoF and MK or even some of the earlier Capcom Vs games. I used to like (still do) beat 'em ups. Platformers and Metroidvanias are casual favorites for me. I do enjoy some space simulation games from time to time, but not really that into it. Racing games type Wipeout and F-Zero are big favorites too.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Beat 'em ups - I love beat 'em ups, mostly of the old school variety and I've played them from Renegade to Night Slashers to The Warriors.

Fighting - Growing up in the BIG CITY you often find yourself in many seedy locales with dubious and shady characters who all had one goal in mind: beating your ass in arcade fighting games. Unless you played in some bad neighbourhoods, then they'd also beat your ass outside.

Strategy/RTS - Turn based or real time, I love a good strategy game. Squad based tactics like Syndicate, all out RTS wars like Starcraft or longplay types like Civilization or Crusader Kings II.

Action/Adventure - Mostly stuff like Castlevania or Metroid (the BEST Nintendo series) or things with fun two player co-op ala Zombies Ate My Neighbours.

Falksi

Arcane
RPGs of course, turn based tactics games, beat 'em ups, shoot 'em ups & 16-bit platform & sports games.

FWIW I think of games like Dragons Dogma & Dark Souls as Beat Em Ups with RPG elements.

I am absolutely gagging to play a quality modern JRPG in the Final Fantasy, Shadows hearts etc mold

Last edited:

Swigen

Arbiter
Vehicular Combat. Favorites were Twisted Metal 2, Rogue Trip and Vigilante 8.

Mark Richard

Arcane
My kryptonite is a strategy tactics game with a well-produced campaign, heavy on the story and worldbuilding. Doesn't matter if its real-time or turn-based, as long as it has persistent units that gain experience or die permanently to ensure each battle affects the next. Fantasy Wars, Elven Legacy, Shadow of the Horned Rat, Dark Omen, and Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. Heck, I'll even replay Warhammer: Mark of Chaos in my weaker moments.

Not so crazy about the open campaigns like Ultimate General: Gettysburg and Star Fleet Command. The half and half approach of story missions within an open campaign like Battlefleet Gothic Armada and Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock are a decent compromise.

Suicidal

Arcane
RPGs at the top.

Then strategy games - both TBS and RTS. From the RTS I side I prefer the classic style of games where you build your base, explore the map, kill shit and fight for resources (C&C games, Starcaft, Warcraft, etc.), the more freedom the game gives in building your bases and armies the better. I tend to dislike RTSes with heavy restrictions on base and army building. As for TBS games I like those that are focused mostly on combat (HoMM, Age of Wonders, Xcom). I just like building cities and armies and sending them into enemy armies and watch the ensuing carnage, I suppose.

Next are the action games focused on melee combat. Stuff like Devil May Cry, Dark Souls, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. The deeper and more intricate the combat system, the better. I like when games like this force you to learn the fighting mechanics and enemy behaviors in order to win. Games where you can just go forward and mash attack and win are no good.

Last are open world games where you just fuck around and blow shit up and do missions (which usually involve blowing shit up). Examples include Prototype, Saints Row, Just Cause. For me this is a sort of therapy genre which I like to go to after I beat some very hard game. Just running around and blowing shit up without a care can be pretty relaxing. This is one of the few times when I consider graphics to be very important in a game cause I want my open world and explosions to be as pretty as possible.

Other genres I don't care about that much but can still enjoy.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I don't play games anymore. Not really. I try to, but it rarely works out.

I guess point and click adventure games are my thing. Action adventure is such a general term ( isn't Max Payne action adventure?), but I like a good action game. Tomb Raider, Rayman 2, Prince of Persia, Psychonauts. I like a good strategy game...

I don't know. Other than RPGs I don't really have a preferance. I have played and enjoyed games from every single genre and I can't say I have a preference strong enough to make one really stand out.

Temenos

Literate
Immersive sims (though back in my day we called then FPS/RPG hybrids, but I guess I gotta use the "official" terminology now).

Then it's a toss-up between FPS and adventure games. Use to play more pure RPGs but they've been getting longer and longer and time isn't really that plentiful for me anymore.

Ash

Arcane
RPG (ARPG, SRPG, TBRPG etc)
Shooter (FPS, TPS, Top-down)
Action-Adventure
Hack and Slash
Survival Horror
Platformer
Stealth
Arcade Racer
Vehicular Combat
Beat Em Ups
Open World
Strategy (Real Time, Turn Based etc)
Some Sports
Fighting
Metriodvania
Simulation

Damn near all these genres have either gone to shit or extinct in the past decade.

Don't like:

Puzzler (love when games include puzzles, but rarely enjoy games solely about puzzles)
Simulation (those that prioritise simulation above gameplay. Otherwise the genre is fine)
Battle Royale (if this shit even counts as a genre and not just a multiplayer mode in the same way capture the flag is)
Card Games (highly luck-based games aren't very fun)
Shmups (gets boring real quick. I liked G-Darius though)
Rhythm games
Point and Click Adventure (they're not bad, just a bit lacking on the gameplay front. Still enjoyed a couple in my youth nonetheless)
Walking Sims (like Point and Click but with even less gameplay)
Pretty much any game where you're just in a plane's cockpit the whole time.

Can't be bothered to put any more time and effort into this post so stopping there.

Last edited:

PorkBarrellGuy

1. RPGs/Roguelikes (NetHack, Wizardry 8, Dwarf Fortress, Fallout, FTL)
2. Giant Robot shit in general (MechCommander Gold, MechWarrior 2 Mercs, EarthSiege 2, MegaMek)
3. Tie betweeen action/platformer/musoushit (Okami, Onimusha, Dynasty Warriors) and first-person shooter (Doom, Half-Life, Unreal Tournament 2004)

Trithne

Erudite
Immersive sims.
Grand Strategy / 4X.
Turn based tactics.
Real time strategy.
Story driven FPS.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
city builders (both the impression city builders and simcity style)
3d beat em ups (devil may cry, bayonetta, etc), though I never understood the appeal of 2d beat em ups of the arcade days
racing games (GRID, Burnout, Motocross Madness 2 that I played years ago)
pokemon and digimon games
puzzle and platformer games to play with gf
shoot em up (Raiden, Gradius, but Cave games are too complex in its scoring mechanics and lack the "raw" feel of more primitive shmups)

dislike:
"action-adventure" of the zelda variety, because it's almost always a vague mix of everything, it's like the oscar bait of videogames, and they're usually not much fun to play on repeated playthrough (or even on the first).

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
Tactical games are my preferred and favourite genre in video games. Sadly, apart from a very handful of classics there is nothing even remotely engaging games for this genre in modern times. I keep replaying games like Silent Storm and its still a lot of fun.

Black Angel

Arcane
RPGs at the top
Strategy/RTS second, because Age of Empires 2, Dune 2000, and Stronghold: Crusader are the defining video games of my childhood
I guess MOBA took the third place since I like playing them especially when matchmaking with friends
Shooters fourth, but only because I've got fond memories of playing Battlefield 2 and Counter Strikes with my friends during middle school, though I'm okay with good shooters like STALKER and Dirty Bomb
And finally, I guess simulation games like The Sims (particularly, The Sims 2: Pets) got a special place in my heart. If only EA would just stop, or someone else took their place. Any recommendation for good games like The Sims?

That's all. I'm yet to delve into new genres of video games, especially considering I've got such a bloated backlog of RPGs I want to play :dealwithit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom