Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Also berry important information, SEGA Europe's PC port project codenames, can be seen in SteamDB entries:
  • Bayonetta - Papaya
  • Vanquish - Pineapple
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris - Kiwi
  • Yakuza 0 - Dragon Fruit (I see!)
  • Catherine Classic - Gooseberry
  • Yakuza Kiwami - ???
VC1 probably had no codename like this, and I could not find ones for VC4, Shining Resonance, and Shenmue HD (which PC releases were simultaneous with consoles, not late PC port).

Vorark

Erudite

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...be_honored_with_Pioneer_Award_at_GDC_2019.php

kodamathumb1.jpg

Trailblazing Sega dev Rieko Kodama to be honored with Pioneer Award at GDC 2019!

Organizers of the 19th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards (GDCA), the premier accolades for peer recognition celebrating the industry’s top games, studios and developers, have revealed that veteran legendary game developer Rieko Kodama will receive this year’s Pioneer Award, which honors breakthrough tech and game design milestones.

The GDCA will recognize Kodama for her career in game development, spanning more than three decades, including her work on some of the most beloved titles in SEGA’s classic games library, from Phantasy Star through Alex Kidd to Skies of Arcadia and beyond.

Kodama is a trailblazing game artist, director and producer who established her career during an era in which women game designers’ contributions and activity in the industry were less recognized, eventually heading development on some of the industry’s most well-regarded Japanese Role-Playing Games (JRPGs).

Beginning her professional career at SEGA in 1984, Kodama made her industry debut with Champion Boxing on the company’s SG-1000 game console. As a new hire, Kodama learned how to create pixel art and animation from veteran designers at the company, eventually refining her work to create designs for arcade games like Sega Ninja and Quartet before moving onto the Sega Mark III (otherwise known as the Sega Master System in non-Japanese territories). On the more advanced hardware, she honed her skills to contribute background designs for the now-classic Alex Kidd in Miracle World and key artwork for Phantasy Star.

Moving onto the 16-bit Mega Drive platform (known as the Sega Genesis in North America), Kodama contributed key artwork for such landmark genre-defining titles as Altered Beast, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle and Sonic the Hedgehog¸. All the while, Kodama worked alongside other game development pioneers such as Yuji Naka (creator of Sonic the Hedgehog) and Yu Suzuki (former head of AM2, the team behind Virtua Fighter).

It was during the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis era that Kodama further exemplified her development prowess, serving as the Team Leader (analogous to a modern-day Game Director role) for Phantasy Star: The End of the Millennium (known as Phantasy Star IV in North America). Her stellar work at SEGA continued into the ‘90s and ‘00s, with directorial work on Magic Knight Rayearth on Sega Saturn, and a Producer role on Deep Fear and Sega Dreamcast’s Skies of Arcadia and the subsequent release on Nintendo Gamecube, Skies of Arcadia Legends.

With three and a half decades of game development, Kodama drew from her experience and expertise to produce the 7th Dragon series of RPGs on Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Portable platforms. Her current role sees her producing the SEGA AGES series of classic game ports on the Nintendo Switch, a series that honors many of the same timeless SEGA titles she herself helped to create in her pioneering role as a game developer in the 1980s through now.

“The Game Developers Choice Awards were conceived as a way to recognize the all-too-often unsung genius and dedication of game developers throughout history, and this year’s award honors a figure who helped pave the way for countless game creators to follow,” said Katie Stern, general manager of the Game Developers Conference. “After decades spent developing some of SEGA’s most indelible classics, Kodama-san could easily rest on her laurels, but instead has dedicated herself to creating games that transcend gender and generations to give us countless hours of joy. This award is a ‘thank you’ to Kodama-san and all creators who work so hard to achieve greatness.”

Rieko Kodama as well as Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Amy Hennig will be honored at the Game Developers Choice Awards ceremony, taking place on Wednesday, March 20th, 2019 at 6:30pm at the San Francisco Moscone Center during the 2019 Game Developers Conference, and in conjunction with the Independent Games Festival (IGF). The ceremonies are available to attend for all GDC 2019 pass-holders.

The recipients of the Pioneer Award are chosen by the Game Developers Choice Special Awards Jury, which includes notable game industry leaders such as Chris Charla (ID@Xbox), Laine Nooney (New York University), Brian Reynolds (Big Huge Games), Brandon Sheffield (Necrosoft Games) and Mare Sheppard (Metanet Software).

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just so you all know, the SMT mobile game, published by Sega, is the best gatcha game. I've spent $1 on it. Feels like a cross between Persona and SMT. Unfortunately has a couple of bad mobile mechanics but nothing game breaking.

Screenshot_20190117-192240.jpg

...my newest demon

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have to add it has the classic battle and demon fusion systems and a very hard randomly generated dungeon and good story. The dollar I spent did nothing but I wanted to support the devs. I highly recommend Dx2 for anyone who likes Nocturne or Persona 3. I have a guild called Kiki's Heroes but, I'm too busy to really be competative. I think the best way to play is to go through the story, get the free stuff and have fun with battle system and fusion.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just so you all know, the SMT mobile game, published by Sega, is the best gatcha game. I've spent $1 on it. Feels like a cross between Persona and SMT. Unfortunately has a couple of bad mobile mechanics but nothing game breaking.
The best of a bad thing doesn't mean much really.

Also on android you might as well play the SMT games on retroarch or something.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
https://gematsu.com/2019/01/sd-gund...c-in-japan-and-asia-with-english-text-in-2019
SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays coming to PS4, Switch, and PC in Japan and Asia with English text in 2019

The newly announced SD Gundam G Generation Cross Rays will be released for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC (Steam) in 2019 in Japan and Southeast Asia (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, the Philippines, and Indonesia) with English text, Bandai Namco announced.

More information will be announced at Taipei Game Show 2019 from January 25 to 27.

Participating Works
☆ = Featured in Scenarios
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
  • New Mobile Report Gundam Wing: Dual Story -G-Unit-
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Battlefield of Pacifists
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz -Glory of the Losers-
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED MSV
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray R
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Astray B
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED X Astray
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny MSV
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73 -Stargazer-
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73 Astray
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Frame Astrays
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED VS Astray
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray R
  • Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Astray B
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00P
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00F
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00I
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00V
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00V Senki
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00I 2314
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Gekko
  • SD Gundam GX
  • G Generation Series

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
https://gematsu.com/2019/01/persona-q2-new-cinema-labyrinth-coming-west-on-june-4

Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth coming west on June 4

Atlus will release Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth for 3DS in the Americas and Europe on June 4, the publisher announced. It will feature Japanese voice-overs with English subtitles, with no plans for an English dub.

A $39.99 launch edition will include a set of four buttons, while a $69.99 “Showtime” premium edition will include a copy of the game, a five-inch Koromaru push, art book, deck of playing cards, set of four buttons, and outer box.

Here is an overview of the game, via Atlus:

About
Prepare to face a mysterious world of film in Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth, a challenging dungeon crawler for the Nintendo 3DS. The Phantom Thieves are on another adventure as they find themselves trapped within a series of labyrinthine movies, each with its own unique twists and turns themed after various movie genres. Along the way, you’ll encounter other like-minded heroes who possess the will and strength to help you in your journey. But who is this mysterious girl Hikari, and how will the cast escape from this cinematic entanglement that transcends time and space!?

Key Features
  • Joker Takes Center Stage – Experience a thought-provoking story from the perspective of the protagonist from Persona 5 as you along with the other Phantom Thieves meet the S.E.E.S. from Persona 3 and the Investigation Team from Persona 4 in a cinematic world!
  • Persona 3 Portable‘s Female Heroine Steals the SpotlightPersona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth will feature the long-awaited addition of Persona 3 Portable‘s female heroine who will play a pivotal role in your adventure through the silver screen!
  • Paying Homage to the Classics – Explore a series of labyrinths parodying popular film genres with plenty of references true film fans will love!
  • We’ve Got CompanyPersona Q2 expands on Persona Q and Persona 5′s combat systems, including a new Unison feature. By completing side quests, certain groups and pairings will team up to unleash their own special attack!
  • For the World Cinema Aficionados – Immerse yourself in Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth thanks to its Japanese voice audio track with English subtitles. This will mark the first time many fans will hear the original Japanese voices of the Persona 3 cast!

Koromaru best mascot:love:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Speaking of Persona Q2, this is the more retarded gaming article I have witnessed in my life: link to kotaku minkia. Maybe this could be a reason to hate the Switch and to despise the people who use it (at least some of them).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom