Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Secret World

hello friend

Arcane
Parkour and slaughter is a winning combo, but I gotta say robots aren't very engaging as a concept. Still couldn't tell you what the game is about, all the lore and story passed in one ear and out the other. All I know is you're a robot and someone wants you to do something so you get a ship, but someone else wants you to do something else and they might have hacked your system. I think.

Come to think of it, The Secret World is like the polar opposite. Shitty combat (shitty platforming too, really really bad), but full of interesting lore and story, good atmosphere.

Lhynn

Arcane
At first nothing makes sense because you dont remember anything. But you arent a robot. You are a Tenno, one of the deadliest forces in the universe, basically a super space samurai/ninja, and are helping Lotus keep the balance between Grinner and Corpus, in an effort to keep either side from taking over the sector. As long as they keep fighting eachother they wont be attacking neutral parties.

There are a ton of small factions in game, and you can ally with 2 of them at most. Thats the gist of it.

There are several big players. The sentients, big bad evils from the other side of the galaxy, nobody knows what they want. The Grineer, an army of clones that live for war and conquest. The corpus turned money into a religion. The Orokin, long dead civilization, you will mostly fight gone mad immortal soldiers from that side that survived by being trapped in the void. The infested, abominations created by the orokin to fight the sentients that escaped their control and are reproducing like roaches and are slowly taking over the less travelled space.

Theres a yuge clusterfuck of factions and characters and motivations and history to uncover, tho how you discover it is a lot less interactive than in SWL.

Still, the fun of the game is building and modding weapons and frames and trying new and interesting combinations, thats what the gameplay loop is all about. You build new shit, you try it, if you like it you get serious about building it up, formaing it and applying catalysts and making it into a monster.

hello friend

Arcane
I imagine the game does get more fun once you have high leveled multiples of every mod, but it takes a loooong time to get there. Almost all my playtime I was working on the same fucking Excalibur build, playing the game would look like this: Daily login>Grineer gold farm>Orokin Chest farm. Oh yeah, I guess there were challenge missions as well. Was quite happy with the build tho, I just didn't have enough mana to fully support it.

The space ninjas look like robots.

Man, I was in a guild with access to pretty much everything too, still was grinding forever.

I imagine the game does get more fun once you have high leveled multiples of every mod, but it takes a loooong time to get there. Almost all my playtime I was working on the same fucking Excalibur build, playing the game would look like this: Daily login>Grineer gold farm>Orokin Chest farm. Oh yeah, I guess there were challenge missions as well. Was quite happy with the build tho, I just didn't have enough mana to fully support it.

Man, I was in a guild with access to pretty much everything too, still was grinding forever.

you need just 1 copy of any mod, with extremely rare exceptions you could always work around anyway.

according to the latest bits of lore, tennos aren't just robots, they're more like evangelions.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Sounds pretty gay to be honest. Secret World is for storyfags like me I guess. I love tactical depth in combat, but I also like quests that force me to use my brain and learn something new.

hello friend

Arcane

you need just 1 copy of any mod, with extremely rare exceptions you could always work around anyway.

according to the latest bits of lore, tennos aren't just robots, they're more like evangelions.
Some mods you'll want to keep at lower levels. But you're right. Beyond those fringe cases, having multiples would really only be good for making the process of trying out different builds across multiple frames marginally smoother.

I never watched neon genesis. Evangelions are exoskeletons, aren't they? Is there a humanoid person underneath the frame exterior? Is it human?

i said too much already then, i ruined a lot of it for you, sorry, but after more than 20 years i took for granted i wasn't spoiling :V

Lhynn

Arcane
Its an action RPG like path of exile. Of course the grind is never over. Its exactly the same for SWL.

The gameplay loop is very fun tho, unlike this cashgrab.

Lhynn

Arcane
Some fucker here called it ages ago, cant remember his handle but dude was absolutely right.

vampiregrave

Educated
Not exactly unexpected:

Screenshot_20190117-231532.png

Screenshot_20190117-231618.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom