Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
If there ever is a PoE3, a new race of caudate cuties seems highly probable. They need to win that audience back.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Deadfire companions are superior in every way imaginable. In the first game they're all either dull and uninteresting or ridiculous beyond any suspension of disbelief. They're all on some important quests of their own and yet spend their days standing around on the crossroads waiting for the player to show up. It's either generic and imaginative or try-hard and edgy, sometimes all those things at the same time. The only two that ever felt like they even belong in the setting were Eder and Devil of Caroc.

Deadfire cast is all well integrated into the setting. You meet them in a way that makes sense, they join you for reasons that are believable, they're all characters that could conceivably exist in that world. The only problem I've really had with companion content is that there wasn't enough of it. That and Tekehu "Nice to meet you let's have buttsex".

pomenitul

Arbiter
I felt the other way around, Maia was a weak character but her quest (altough I agree it didn't hit any emotional notes) had insanely good reactivity and put into perspective how cutthroat the Rauatai were.

Agreed on the reactivity. Still not memorable enough in my book but your mileage may vary.

2house2fly

Magister
Ehm. POE1 companions were not ?

furry druid
chick eskimo who fucks dogs
insane dude
bipolar wussy elf
chick who wasn't there

and Eder.

Whole POE1 cast was circus on wheels much more than any infinity cast was aside from Eder which was simply bad companion with no opinion on his own on anything of value.
Pillars had a lot more jokey stuff than people seem to remember. The kid that tells you a secret and you can respond with "great secret, your dad doesn't love you". Or Hiravias wondering whether Pallegina has a cloaca, or when Iovara tells you the gods aren't real if you picked Philosopher background you can say "I knew it!"

Ultimately yeah, mileage is going to vary with what you want from companions- someone said "they talk too much, less is more" but then a common complaint about companions in these games is that they don't talk enough. Deadfire is too wacky, Pillars was too dry. They're never going to please everyone, which is why they shouldn't have tried and should have done what they wanted to do

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ultimately yeah, mileage is going to vary with what you want from companions- someone said "they talk too much, less is more" but then a common complaint about companions in these games is that they don't talk enough.
I said that.

And people who complain that their companions don't talk more are prevalently retards. The same people say that a movie is better than a book, because you get to see the characters and places.

2house2fly

Magister
It's kind of neat when it becomes clear his ott behaviour is basically him buckling under the pressure of having a great destiny and acting out

2house2fly

Magister
He's got some very useful spells as well- foe-only versions of some regular druid spells and some unique to him. Of course i multiclassed him and mostly used him for the AOE paralyse chant

Theldaran

Liturgist
Cernd... Well, he had few content, and it made him look like a moron. He has some self-derisive content where his devotion to Nature is made fun of. He was still a valid companion for some parties, which are very few.

Between Cernd and Valygar I'm hard pressed to choose who's more dull. Seems like they couldn't write tree huggers by then.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He's nowhere near as one-dimensional as he initially appears.
He's got some very useful spells as well- foe-only versions of some regular druid spells and some unique to him. Of course i multiclassed him and mostly used him for the AOE paralyse chant
I have distant plans to make another playthrough on Hard where I'll use my current vailian female wizard/chanter as a main character - "The Adventures of Laquisha in the Deadfire", then I'll take Tekehu, romance him and have black-on-fish sex.

Vatnik
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Deadfire cast is all well integrated into the setting.
That's why they were utterly banal. (not to mention being a bunch of homosexual anti-racist commiefornian self-inserts, we even got some tranny vibes from that Pallegina quest). The setting is absurdly bland. I can't imagine what sort of autism it takes to go to all the effort of writing an entire new setting, when such setting is so generic and uninventive. What's the point?

PoE1 had Durance and GM, sure they were tryhard and edgy and ridiculous, but I liked that, just as I liked them for being rehashes of characters from Planescape and KotoR2. None of the rest come close. Durance alone is worth more than the rest of the cast from both games.

Incendax

Augur
It's kind of neat when it becomes clear his ott behaviour is basically him buckling under the pressure of having a great destiny and acting out
I had really mixed feelings. On the one hand, his blatant sexual advances and antics were definitely a cover up for a more complex and nuanced character. On the other hand, that complexity was still really juvenile. It’s hard for me, as a grumpy old bastard, to admire or respect even the most complex or nuanced teenager because they still have a looooong way to go to become mature.

But I generally enjoyed his writing.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
That's ALL OF MODERN GAMING.
Wouldn't say that in this case it's a result of modern gaming, PoE is Icewind Dale 2 part 2 which in and of itself was already a milking of a series that was milking other successful games.

You can't compare IWD2 to that pile of shit. IWD games at least have good combat system and interesting encounters. They don't have retarded shit like muh penetration tied to level and muh engagement.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So, I just finished The Forgotten Sanctum (and all dlcs and every content in the game) and there is no sign of this new spirit sidekick Ryona. What the hell happened? Its not in the game for sure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom