Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Drakron

Arcane
Didn't he take his team with him? I mean, KojiPro was formed a long time ago, way before he went indie, so the team was with him a long time ago.
He did the same as Platinum, they just removed themselves from Konami(Capcom in the case of Platinum), but the team was already formed inside Konami(Capcom).

Yes and no, Shuyo Murata seems to still be at Konami and Tomokazu Fukushima seem to had left the industry entirely after 3.

Also Platinum was a merger of two companies, Seeds and Odds with Seeds being founded by Mikami, Inaba and Kamiya and Odds by Minami and they all worked at Clover Studios but they left at different stages, Minami founded Odds in 2006 as Seeds was in 2007 and unlike Kojima Productions that is Kojima, Platinum have more people and thats kinda the issue people see, Kojima is Kojima and will do whatever he likes as back in Konami there were people that hold him back, its like George Lucas before and after the Prequels were he had a lot of power and control with the Prequels that he didnt when he made the original trilogy. The fact he is unchecked doesnt mean he will do better ... in fact people when left alone with unlimited control and power will just fuck things up because there is nobody saying that is a bad idea or that will take too long or anything to restrain then.

Tehdagah

Arcane
This Sony/Kojipro partnership is a rather unique thing in the industry, because Kojima has an "indie developer" approach towards games i.e. he tries to inject new and original ideas, only he has lots of money to pull it off.

Death Stranding, from what little information we have, seems to be some kind of a delivery simulator with survival, stealth and action elements.

Reedus carries extra pairs of boots with different soles, in some footage he is wearing an exosuit in some he doesnt, so apparently you can upgrade your equipment, he drinks water, you need to manually balance his baggage( confirmed by Kojima), he can trip, slip, fall over, the river tide can fuck you up, the boxes you carry can get damaged etc.Theres some action elements, but its not the preferable way of playing according to Kojima.

Can you name me any other developer in AAA that comes up with similar ideas? I can only think of Fumito Ueda.
Metal Gear Survive 2

DeepOcean

Arcane
Seems like the game is entering end of production based on the latest sources , this is good news because it seems Kojima isn't going all shit crazy and this isn't on development hell. To be fair, I'm open to whatever shit Kojima crazy japanese mind come up with, it isn't that we are drowning on creativity on sequel/microtransaction/loot boxes AAA land. If it is weird and boring, at least we will have something to talk about, if it is weird and good like Phantom Pain, well, at least is more interesting than to discover the new bug was discovered on Fallout 76 or the new way to torture players for money EA is inventing.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
HTScOai.jpg

Big Wrangle

Take a shot everytime Kojima hung out with Mads.

Last edited by a moderator:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
game designer
Good thing he hasn't actually designed games in a long time, then. Pretty much everything has been done by other people in Kojima Productions.

I dont know what he does or doesnt do, every game under his name being great is enough for me to call him good game designer or director, whatever you call it

There only 2 great games under his belt.
They are Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3.

Metal Gear 1 is more of prototype for Metal Gear 2.
MGS1 is nothing more than decent and extremely overrated.
MGS2 is good only for half the Tanker level (so just the first 30/45 minutes of the game), after that the game takes a nose dive in quality. And despite tackling interesting themes, the game story-wise is a mess because of his inability to write something with the minimum amount of subtlety and consistency.
MGS4 is shit. Period. But I can't really blame him for that one since he clearly didn't want to make the game.
Peace Walker is a copy paste of MGS3 good stuff, and while not a bad game it's overall not very memorable or that enjoyable.
MGS5 could've been excellent, if you know the game had actually been finished and had missions with the same level of quality as Ground Zeros.

Summing up. A career of 32 years making games. But out of the 40 or so games he worked either as a director, producer, writer or game designer only 2 of them are truly good games in every aspect from beginning to end.
So no, he's not a good game designer/director.

Last edited:

Big Wrangle

Kojima's bad because he didn't have more than two "mastahpeeces" in the Metal Gear franchise.
:hero:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Kojima's bad because he didn't have more than two "mastahpeeces" in the Metal Gear franchise.
:hero:
Let's not get even started about the fact that many great artists usually have only one masterpiece in their lifetime. *cough* MCA *cough*
Kojima releasing 1 or 2 masterpieces, and a handful of fun games is a good indication that he is doing something right.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Let's not get even started about the fact that many great artists usually have only one masterpiece in their lifetime. *cough* MCA *cough*
Kojima releasing 1 or 2 masterpieces, and a handful of fun games is a good indication that he is doing something right.

Not one of his games is a masterpiece fanboy.

Terenty

Liturgist
Not one of his games is a masterpiece fanboy.

All of the MGS games are top quality, highly polished games with great gameplay, interesting ideas, another level attention to details and entertaining stories. If you dont see it, you are blind, im sorry for your loss

Oh and Snatcher is another great game under his belt

MGS1 is nothing more than decent and extremely overrated.

I was 18 years old when MGS 1 came out and that shit was mindblowing at the time. Truly fucking mindblowing what they did on the PSX.

You must have been a toddler by then and only played it 10-15 years later, proclaiming at the top of your lungs that it was overrated.

What a joke.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
All of the MGS games are top quality,

As in budget? Sure.
Actual game design quality, no.

highly polished games

Yeah sure.
But that doesn't make them great.
Alot of great games were/are unpolished on release, and some still to this day without the proper mods.
Most people that post here know this.

with great gameplay,

No. Hell no.
MGS3 and MGS5 sure.
The rest not so much.

interesting ideas, another level attention to details

Sure. Cool little gimmicks that barely influence the way you play as always been Kojimbo's most prominent design philosophy.
One of the reasons MGS3 has an actually good game, was because it was the only game of the series were those little gimmicks actually had an impact on gameplay.

and entertaining stories.

Only if you shut your brain or enjoy shitty anime. Hell, I've seen animes with better writing, pacing, characterization, consistency and more subtlety when tackling the respective themes of their story (without any apparent self-congratulatory hints to it, might I add). A fact that becomes even more funny when you consider Kojima's goal was to be a Hollywood movie director.
But some cutscenes are fine I guess.

I was 18 years old when MGS 1 came out and that shit was mindblowing at the time. Truly fucking mindblowing what they did on the PSX.

You must have been a toddler by then and only played it 10-15 years later, proclaiming at the top of your lungs that it was overrated.

A fact that proves your mind was a easily impressionable one back then.

You know what game was truly mindblowing that year? Truly excellent in almost every aspect of it's design?
Thief.

Yet still to this day MGS1 is shilled has masterpiece, and the progenitor of stealth games by every retard.

Hell, Tenchu 1 was a better stealth game than MGS (despite it's limited field of view). And has been unfortunately forgotten about, despite it's quality (the sequel was much better tough).

Also sorry to disappoint you but MGS1 was one of the first games I ever played on a home console. And I was about 12 years old when I did.
And even back then I wasn't really impressed.

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
No. Hell no.
MGS3 and MGS5 sure.
The rest not so much.
Hell yes. I wont write walls of texts why, but there is hardly any dull moment in the games, something always happens another cool scenario to go through, another cutscene, another boss battle etc. The whole package is distilled fun.

Sure. Cool little gimmicks that barely influence the way you play as always been Kojimbo's most prominent design philosophy.

Cool little gimmicks that add so much to the feel, atmosphere and immersivness of the games, that put a lot of other games to shame.
Try aiming the gun at Snake in MGS 2 while he is asleep after meeting Vamp for the first time and see what happens. This shit is what makes these games so cool. Like in the original Deus Ex you could break sequence and npcs would aknowledge that, sure it doesnt influence the gameplay, but it elevates the whole experience to another level.

Only if you shut your brain or enjoy shitty anime

Yes, it is anime, in fact all MGS games feel like big budget animes. Theres a lot of nonsense there , but they are highly entertaining which i cant say about many games.

And i beat Thief 2, it has more complex systems at play and the stealth is more sophisticated than MGS 1-4, but the game was fucking dull and the plot was typical fantasy/steampunk drivel. And no im not a console peasant, Ultima Underworld is the best LGS game imho.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I mean, I agree that there's a lot of interesting stuff in some MGS games, but calling Thief 2 "steampunk/fantasy drivel" is a little far. "Dull"? Thief 2 had me on edge the entire time. Maybe the atmosphere didn't resonate with you but you should at least be able to see that it is there and omnipresent.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I mean, I agree that there's a lot of interesting stuff in some MGS games, but calling Thief 2 "steampunk/fantasy drivel" is a little far. "Dull"? Thief 2 had me on edge the entire time. Maybe the atmosphere didn't resonate with you but you should at least be able to see that it is there and omnipresent.
Yeah, I'm a big MGS fanboy, so I agreed with him for the most part, but Thief 1 and 2, and for a lesser extent 3 is just distilled greatness. Dull? Not a chance.

Solid Snail

Learned
I think Snatcher is the only game I'm missing from Kojima, what is the best way to play it?

Terenty

Liturgist
"Dull"? Thief 2 had me on edge the entire time. Maybe the atmosphere didn't resonate with you but you should at least be able to see that it is there and omnipresent.

Theres atmosphere, true, and i remember some cool stuff like the giant tower in the center of the city and those creepy little robots, but i also remember a level in the woods with some monkey people and i was like wtf. I was tired of the game about three to four missions before it ended.

Also after reading so much praise for the level design and how it was supposed to be better than in Deus Ex 1 i found it not to be true. The most revered level "Life of the party" was rather linear as far as i remember and paled in comparison to Deus Ex's Hong Kong for example.

Basically i consider Thiefs and System Shocks vastly inferior to Deus ex, and am not a fan of LGS philosophy after Ultima Underworlds.

I think Snatcher is the only game I'm missing from Kojima, what is the best way to play it?

I played it on SegaCd emulator, i think its considered the best version

A fact that proves your mind was a easily impressionable one back then.

You know what game was truly mindblowing that year? Truly excellent in almost every aspect of it's design?
Thief.

Yet still to this day MGS1 is shilled has masterpiece, and the progenitor of stealth games by every retard.

Hell, Tenchu 1 was a better stealth game than MGS (despite it's limited field of view). And has been unfortunately forgotten about, despite it's quality (the sequel was much better tough).

Also sorry to disappoint you but MGS1 was one of the first games I ever played on a home console. And I was about 12 years old when I did.
And even back then I wasn't really impressed.

Why are you trying to score KKKs by namedropping Thief? I played Thief on release day, owned every edition of it (including the original trapezoid box) and I think it's one of the best games of all time, but what does this have to do with MGS being good or not? The aspects that made MGS mindblowing on release have nothing to do with Thief. Absolutely nothing. They're completely, entirely different games.

Get your fucking head out of your ass, you baby.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom