Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people accept Steam but hate other gaming clients?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Steam arrived years before big publishers started to get jealous and specializes entirely in the digital distribution of games.

There are legitimate reasons to dislike Steam, since it is DRM at the end of the day and they do have a monopoly of sorts. There was plenty of dislike for Steam when it was new, and that dislike has never really died out.

The problem is that when other companies roll out their own digital distribution DRM clients, they've so far universally been far shittier and more anti-consumer than Steam's client. They also generally carry only one publisher's games. Steam is just a far better service, and people demand games on Steam because they very reasonably don't want 20+ much shittier DRM clients installed on their computer and also would rather have all of their games in one place.

Absolutely no one demands that games be on Steam per se; they just demand that, if the publisher moronically insists on a DRM client or other obnoxious form of DRM, that that DRM client be Steam. If they were to go DRM-free, people would be perfectly happy with the game not being on ANY client, so basically your point is garbage.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The problem is that when other companies roll out their own digital distribution DRM clients, they've so far universally been far shittier and more anti-consumer than Steam's client.

I can't speak about Uplay, but Origin only really sucked on launched. After they fixed all the teething problems it absolutely shits on Steam in every way imaginable.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The problem is that when other companies roll out their own digital distribution DRM clients, they've so far universally been far shittier and more anti-consumer than Steam's client.

Yes. Apart from Origin, Uplay and Epic's new thing, you're absolutely right. Blizzard's launcher is far shittier and more anti-consumer than Steam. Microsoft's store is quite shitty as well.

The Steam client is the worst. Goddam Origin is awesome compared to that sad mess, and Uplay is a pleasure to use, even though they use Flash animation for their videos, compared to Steam.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
What a time to be on the Codex, when people not only play EA games on the regular but even defend its jealousy client.

A completely DRM-free game can be added to Steam's library list and launch mechanism, no problem. This includes GOG games. People would be (and are) perfectly happy to download DRM-free games from the developer's website. DRM aside, Steam offers a lot of visibility, and for this reason alone a game's fans will urge that a game be offered on Steam.

If you want to blame people for liking Steam too much, think again. Its publishers' insistence on DRM that creates this entire situation in the first place.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
What a time to be on the Codex, when people not only play EA games on the regular but even defend its jealousy client.

U DONT PLAY MADDEN?!!?!?!??!?!

8-4-2018_11-45-16_AM.png.jpeg

WHAT ARE U SOME SORT OF BETA?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Blaine - hey guys, I had a lot of problems with EA client
Also Blaine - haha look at those plebs playing EA games

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
All I'm saying is that there absolutely are people who demand a Steam release. Calm the fuck down

Yes, and all I'm saying is that there are excellent and very practical reasons why people demand Steam releases beyond what some people have been implying—i.e., mindless brand loyalty.

Blaine - hey guys, I had a lot of problems with EA client
Also Blaine - haha look at those plebs playing EA games

I've never used Origin even once, and had sworn off all EA games years before Origin even existed. All of my information about its shittiness comes from secondhand sources, and is indeed very old and outdated.

You totally got me there though, I'm clearly just as bad as the schmucks who've outed themselves as regular players of EA games, the single most horribly declined publisher in existence, for the purpose of winning an argument with me that Origin isn't as shitty as I think it is.

Well, you sure defeated me.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I've never used Origin even once, and had sworn off all EA games years before Origin even existed. All of my information about its shittiness comes from secondhand sources, and is indeed very old and outdated.

You totally got me there though, I'm clearly just as bad as the schmucks who've outed themselves as regular players of EA games, the single most horribly declined publisher in existence, for the purpose of winning an argument with me that Origin isn't as shitty as I think it is.

Well, you sure defeated me.

Oh you're giving me way too much credit. You pretty much shoot your own head off, I'm just pointing out where the carcass landed.

sullynathan

Arcane
I only used Epic Games launcher because they gave free games, it does suck that it doesn't have much functionality outside of that and doesn't even allow you to play offline.

Origin isn't bad, it has a large amount of the exact same features that STEAM has outside of having a mod section, forum section and some of the social shit like cards. It also takes much longer to do a fresh install.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
What's a jealousy client and why does EA have one?

It's what you get when you decide to create your own DRM client solely for distributing the games you publish because you don't want Steam to get a cut of your profits—classic jealousy. Note that it's important not to confuse jealousy with envy. Jealousy is protectiveness of something that is yours; envy is desire for something that belongs to someone else.

Most if not all publishers with their own DRM clients used to sell their games via Steam. Ubisoft still does, except that you have to launch Steam and UPlay simultaneously in order to play Ubisoft games on Steam, which is why I no longer play Ubisoft's games.

DRM is definitively anti-consumer. The best-case scenario is no DRM at all, but if there must be DRM, then Steam has been universally adopted whether one likes it or not and is much more tolerable than pretty much every alternative, especially built-in shit like Denuvo (which unfortunately also sometimes shows up in Steam games, leading to mass downvoting campaigns). While it's not unethical for every big publisher to run off and create their own DRM client, it's very annoying to consumers, who'd prefer to have one DRM client installed instead of a whole shitload of them.

As usual I'm left to marvel at the modern RPG Codex in which some people unironically defend Windows 10, DLC gouging practices, EA/EA Origin, and then half the fucking Codex Steam group lights up with "X is playing Fallout 4" the day after that garbage was released. A few years ago, I might have expected these people to be ashamed, but at this point I sadly know better.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Yes. Apart from Origin, Uplay and Epic's new thing, you're absolutely right. Blizzard's launcher is far shittier and more anti-consumer than Steam. Microsoft's store is quite shitty as well.

The Steam client is the worst. Goddam Origin is awesome compared to that sad mess, and Uplay is a pleasure to use, even though they use Flash animation for their videos, compared to Steam.
Epic? They do literally nothing for the consumer. They weren't even going to have refunds until they realized that they have to. Consumers are the last thing on their mind. Which is perfect for the RetardERA cuck type I guess.

Epic's store is purely for snowflake devs that can't handle user reviews and forums. Even then, they had to pay developers to get games on there. Says a lot about how shitty that thing is.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Absolutely no one demands that games be on Steam per se; they just demand that, if the publisher moronically insists on a DRM client or other obnoxious form of DRM, that that DRM client be Steam. If they were to go DRM-free, people would be perfectly happy with the game not being on ANY client, so basically your point is garbage.

No, basically you are retarded.
"No Steam, no buy" is actually a thing.
People in fact want games to be on Steam, DRM or not, usually for the most retarded reasons. It's hilarious hearing some basement dwellers say "durr I can pley werever i go hurrr" when they never go anywhere.
Or, for the reason you mentioned: to have all your games in one launcher. So, no, they would not be happy to buy games out of Steam.
Even on Codex you hear retards complaining when some developers sell their games on their own. Cuz how to pay on the internet????? So difficult, must pay 30% to a middle-man!

And I never claimed it's "mindless brand loyalty". I claimed it's stupidity and laziness.
You do however clearly have some of that mindless brand loyalty. I suspect soon you'll start telling us how Steam saved PC gaming and we should all suck Gaben's cock for the awesome amount of indie shovelware he has bestowed upon us.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
There are people that refuse to buy Knights of the Chalice because it is not on Steam...

Neither outliers nor anecdotes are of any concern to me.

"B-but you said ABSOLUTELY no one!" Son of a bitch, they got me again. I just can't win today.

Or, for the reason you mentioned: to have all your games in one launcher. So, no, they would not be happy to buy games out of Steam.

When I mentioned that, I specifically noted that people can add DRM-free, non-Steam games to that launcher, so your little attempt at an argument there basically loses itself.

Your worthless anecdote has also been discarded. I've only ever seen the "no Steam, no buy" phenomenon with my own eyes when the game is on a jealousy client instead of Steam, or otherwise includes some sort of third-party DRM; and then only rarely. I've never seen nor heard of it with regard to a completely DRM-free game, which is no doubt why Alex miracled up some unverifiable bullshit about KotC.

Thane Solus

Arcane
What's a jealousy client and why does EA have one?

It's what you get when you decide to create your own DRM client solely for distributing the games you publish because you don't want Steam to get a cut of your profits—classic jealousy. Note that it's important not to confuse jealousy with envy. Jealousy is protectiveness of something that is yours; envy is desire for something that belongs to someone else.

Most if not all publishers with their own DRM clients used to sell their games via Steam. Ubisoft still does, except that you have to launch Steam and UPlay simultaneously in order to play Ubisoft games on Steam, which is why I no longer play Ubisoft's games.

DRM is definitively anti-consumer. The best-case scenario is no DRM at all, but if there must be DRM, then Steam has been universally adopted whether one likes it or not and is much more tolerable than pretty much every alternative, especially built-in shit like Denuvo (which unfortunately also sometimes shows up in Steam games, leading to mass downvoting campaigns). While it's not unethical for every big publisher to run off and create their own DRM client, it's very annoying to consumers, who'd prefer to have one DRM client installed instead of a whole shitload of them.

As usual I'm left to marvel at the modern RPG Codex in which some people unironically defend Windows 10, DLC gouging practices, EA/EA Origin, and then half the fucking Codex Steam group lights up with "X is playing Fallout 4" the day after that garbage was released. A few years ago, I might have expected these people to be ashamed, but at this point I sadly know better.

I agree with you but you have to take in consideration, that for large developers 30% its a bit too much. Of course they dont help themselves, by publishing on multiple platforms, stores, and by adding triple DRMS, so fuck them. Even GOG is turning slowly into a shit store, GOG galaxy for updates, 30 days refund is actually only when they want, even if is X4, they do give credits back to buy another game... SO decline is everywhere.

As for Epic, you just have to look at their site and know they are completely clueless. Its looks like a mobile site on PC...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Oh yeah, of course, you're above all those things because you have facts based on... oh yeah, based on bullshit and on sucking Gaben's cock.

It should be the easiest thing in the world to prove to me that "no Steam, no buy" isn't anecdotal and/or an outlier. After all, if it's so common and widespread, then surely you shouldn't have any trouble finding examples.

Look, I actually LIKE jealousy clients, because they serve as containment systems for terrible games. In my world, Dead Space 2 is one of the newest EA games, because for the past four or five years I've neither seen nor heard of any of EA's new releases... well, unless they make international news:

7cc4e4a9fd.png

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It should be the easiest thing in the world to prove to me that "no Steam, no buy" isn't anecdotal and/or an outlier. After all, if it's so common and widespread, then surely you shouldn't have any trouble finding examples.

Do you mean google results maybe? Well, I get 772,000,000 results for it.

But yeah, I'm sure each and every person who doesn't buy a game because it's not on steam goes on and posts "no steam, no buy" somewhere on the internet and that post is automatically logged by search engines. :kingcomrade:

The point was that there are people who do this. My assumption is most people do it. I don't actually have proof for that, but it's safe to assume most people are comsumerist retards and those are exactly the ones that will suck on Gaben's cock forever.
If you weren't such a Gaben cocksucker yourself going apeshit over someone daring to deny the superiority of Steam you could've seen that I merely made a sarcastic remark suggesting that people are not really "freaked out by multi-billion dollar corporations" and that in fact they love them.

Also here's something else to rustle your jimmies: There's literally no difference between Apple fanboys and Steam fanboys. Same kind of consumerist retardation.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom