Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex's 2018 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hi!

gosh. Gosh. GOSH!

We are walking down memory lane together again felipepepe just like in 2017 on this same month I joined as Randal and we became friends in the RPG Codex 2016 Role-Playing Game of the Year & Age of Incline Voting post. :hug:

Again you have done wonders to list the games of 2017 for voting and to bring attention to so many no-name titles yet again which I have never heard of. Friends I made back then like Hngh, Grape_You_In_the_Mouth, Joni Odin von Hassenstein, One-and-a-half-Ivan, santino27, AwesomeButton, Crooked Bee, ESh, Prime Junta, Fry, Aarik, Jinn, Fairfax, Rivmusique, omg what about Seethe, CptMace, prodigydancer, adler, vmar!! imweasel, Morkar, Bumvelcrow, Josh, SausageInYourFace, Perkel, Hobo Elf, Bonerbill, Siveon, Mazisky, Latro, Ninja Destroyer, Sagani, Bubbles, Crispy, Delterius, Jaeson, Jasede, Infinitron, Dark Underlord, Jim the Dinosaur, Kev Inkline, Anthony, mibbles, Orma, Scrooge, sstacks, Sigourn, Barabus, Dreed, Nekot-The-Brave, Reapa, taxalot, Valky, and to anyone I forgot, thank-you too for making me feel welcome.

So not much to pick from because like all the other Game of the Year, I only vote on what I have played and that game has been a lot of fun despite not getting as much time as I would like to be able to play it. No surprises here. DEADFIRE has my vote because it has brought another part of the world alive for me, exploring it with old friends and expanding on the lore of the world that I really have enjoyed. If in another two years we are back here again to discuss the multiplayer version of Pillars of Eternity 3, then it will probably be a favorite of mine because despite people not liking the game it is what I have really liked myself and there is a lot to like about it. NPCs have their own portrait, there is additional history and lore added from the first game, there is voices for all of the people you meet, lots of exploration, wide range of class choices, superb itemization, and the game just feels vast compared to the first game.

Well I think it is time for a glass of wine and thanks again for the hard work in putting the poll together. I hope it is an honest breakdown and not a witch hunt.

Thanks,
Sherry
So you joined as a guy and had a sex change in the meantime
:updatedmytxt:

No wonder you chose Deadfire as your best game.

Martyr

Arcane
how come the RPG Watch GOTY award is restricted to Watch members and the award of the "hardcore" Codex is open to anyone??

Martyr

Arcane
felipepepe but isn't the Codex GOTY award supposed to show the taste of the Codex members, the self-proclaimed hardcore RPG nerds??
every 12 year old Fortnite console pleb was allowed to vote and the result could easily damage the Codex's reputation!

Last edited:

Martyr

Arcane
ok guys 800 random internet plebs have voted in our poll lets close it and announce the will of the hivemind henceforth

was everybody allowed to vote and not only Codex members???

Of course not everybody was allowed to vote. Those whose opinion has been deemed "trolling" had their votes expunged.
yes, but not only trolls were allowed to vote, but also people with genuinely bad taste, also known as those people who refuse to play anything older than Skyrim and have over 800 hours on Fallout 4.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
felipepepe but isn't the Codex GOTY award supposed to show the taste of the Codex members, the self-proclaimed hardcore RPG nerds??
every 12 year old Fortnite console pleb was allowed to vote and the result could easily damage the Codex's reputation!
Codex has voted divinity original sin 2 has game of the year in 2017, a shit game that embarased the entire forum...

Then again, the codex has in the whole, pretty inclined tastes, as the choice of Witcher 3 as the best rpg of the last decade.
ab5b70d00025a1fe4521ae2101774a80.jpg

Martyr

Arcane
Codex has voted divinity original sin 2 has game of the year in 2017, a shit game that embarased the entire forum...

Then again, the codex has in the whole, pretty inclined tastes, as the choice of Witcher 3 as the best rpg of the last decade.

yeah, I'm already looking forward to our new top 5 best CRPGs:

1. Twitcher 3
2. Divinity OS 2
3. Fallout 4
4. Path of Exile
5. Skyrim

rpgcodex_sothisischristmas.png

Paul_cz

Arcane

ab5b70d00025a1fe4521ae2101774a80.jpg
To me, TW3, AOD and Underrail in TOP5 is pretty damn inclinatious. FTL, Fallout Resurrcetion and Dragonfall also impressively placed.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite

Speak for yourself, you not representative of whole Codex and not some kind of expert to speak on behalf of whole Codex. Many Codexians didn't gave a single fuck about this poll, only little weaklings like you was "embarrassed" because of choices that others make in poll on Internet forum. Besides, to whom codexians should feel embarrassed for their choices? Many casual players don't even know that Codex exists, and people who know that Codex exist tend to have their own opinion (I hope).
Also:
>inclined tastes
>Witcher 3 as best rpg of the last decade
Thank you, you gave me good laugh. :lol:

Martyr

Arcane
Many Codexians didn't gave a single fuck about this poll, only little weaklings like you was "embarrassed" because of choices that others make in poll on Internet forum. Besides, to whom codexians should feel embarrassed for their choices? Many casual players don't even know that Codex exists
results of a websites' polls do matter, because it says something about the community.
I saw the Codex as a place for people who like 80s to early 2000s RPGs . I liked that and so I joined.
but what if the Codex suddenly becomes a place where the top 3 RPGs are Fortnite, Minecraft and Sims? people who like these games will join and in the not so distant future this website will be crap, like every other gaming website out there.
keep the Codex pure. close the borders during every poll in the future: no new registrations allowed before the poll isn't closed, no right to vote for non-members ---> :incline:

Humanophage

Arcane
I don't vote on these polls because I have not yet played any of those games. You need to have a certain personality to play new games released in the current year. Firstly, there is not enough time because there are other older games in your queue, as mentioned before. Secondly, if you are a law-loving person who likes to donate money to developers, there are no discounts for those games yet. Thirdly, the games will be more pleasant to play once they are patched, while right now you are often buying a beta version. Fourthly, it is often better to play a game with the add-ons (e.g., Gothic II), so it makes no sense to rush.

The 2012-2016 poll was much more useful because of the broader timeframe. I understand the necessity to make those polls to document the profile of the Codex, create some publicity, and boost sales for good games. However, I am quite certain that a lot of people whose tastes are more representative of the Codex simply have no reason to vote. In a way, the voters are anti-Codexian, because the standard path to the Codex is that you prefer some older titles and are relatively resistant to marketing.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
One thing does not eliminate the other. I also want to do another "All-Time Top 50 RPGs" vote this year, since it has been 5 years since the last one. It's interesting to know how a game was received on release and how it went down in history years later.

I mean, does anyone believe that Expeditions: Conquistador or Fallout 1.5 Resurrection will make into a Top 50 list? But they were GOTY in 2013 and 2016, respectively. Meanwhile Path of Exile was voted 4th in 2013, but IMHO has more chances to be on a Top 50 than any other game from that year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom