Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Temenos

Literate
Mixing up a few games at a time, but probably my main focus is a Fallout 2 replay with Killap's Restoration Project.

When it's not that it's going through all of the Dark mod missions, slowly.

Dedup

Augur
I finished Wing Commander and both Secret Mission packs. My god, I don't remember the first Secret Missions pack being so balls hard. It starts you out of the gate with a pain in the ass protection mission and continues from there putting you in lame ships against really bad odds. The Gwenwhyvar mission broke me down and pushed me to resort to save states to get through the rest of the pack. Fortunately the 2nd Secret Missions pack was a lot more reasonable and didn't present any unreasonable difficulties.

Now I'm onto Wing Commander 2. I played the first mission and the game felt a good bit smoother than the first one. I don't remember too much about this game since I only played it once back in the day (one of my disks got corrupted). I also never played the Special Operations so I'm looking forward to seeing what those are about along with revisiting the main story.

I've also been playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker and have been enjoying it. Fortunately, with the last patch, the game is far more stable than it was when I started playing. I still get the odd crash now and then, but it's more rare. I also find the load times are bit improved which is good since my PC doesn't have a SSD. I think I'm about at the 3rd chapter using a ranger focused on archery.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finished the Playing With Fire campaign of HoMM 3: Armageddon's Blade.

This felt like a Chronicles campaign, with massive amounts of resources scattered about, too much storyfaggotry, and too weak enemies. Even on Impossible and the first town being bare bone, there was no problem building a Fort and most of the creature dwellings by the end of week 1.
But it did have two of the three most strategic maps so far (only the last campaign left), so it wasn't all bad.

Completed it with a score of 2135, which is my highest score so far. But the top three scores are all 2135, so it that as high as the campaign high scores go?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing Shadow Tactics. I like it, but I'm finding the level design frustrating. I got really pissed off when
they killed Mugen exactly one level after you finally get to use ALL 5 characters at once, and even in that level they designed it so that one of them can't even use all of his abilities. What a load of horse crap, shit level design is shit. What's the point of having multiple characters if you can't use them all effectively? Wouldn't it have been better if Mugen went along with the party to avenge Ryunosuke, and then commited Seppuku? I really don't like how they handled the story and the effect it had on gameplay.

I played a little bit of XCOM Enforcer too....
For about 13 minutes, and a few of those was trying to get the controls and resolution to behave. Its not a good game, the Bureau looks like a masterpiece in comparison.

Last edited:

Larry Soot

Literate
Grimoire : Heralds of the Winged Exemplar (V2)

One of the best blobbers I've ever played. What I appreciate most about games is intelligent design, complex mechanics, freedom to tackle problems in many ways, (also secrets!) and this game hits it out of the park completely. I like to put on some Brahms and immerse myself in this phantasmagorical world.

:love:

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap remake,I never played the original,only Monster Land since I didn't own a Master System,the gameplay seems old school and is apparently untouched,there are only graphical and sound upgrades although you can switch between new and old at any time.Overall pretty good,if you are interested in some old school gaming get it,although it's a short game,about 3-4 hours and I don't think there is much replayability so you should probably wait for a sale.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I'm currently scuba diving for treasure in Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships. In the chest I found a 9 by 9 Sudoku puzzle that uses colours instead of numbers, which you have to complete with a very limited oxygen tank (though you can sail back to shore to refill it). You can also play a variety of interesting games with monkeys who take a great joy in beating you at such things as a more complex version of coconut shy (it's shit flinging basically) and a variation of snakes and ladders.

nancydrew_moment_043ran.png

There is also a parrot, obviously:

maxresdefault.jpg

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
They're not god tier but they're not babies first adventure either, they tend to have about 4 hours of gameplay (if you're replaying it) but I tend to take 8-10 hours on each. No bugs, which is the main thing, and they're always suitably different from each other while always being the same cosy feel, which is a very good thing indeed and probably their greatest uniqueness.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The Messenger for the Switch. Been playing it on flights. Game is simply an outstanding platformer.

I really dig The Messenger, but I think it loses steam at about the halfway point. The gimmick doesn't work that well and I feel the
8-bit
early levels are vastly superior to what comes later.

Still, I can understand the need for padding for today's audience. I'd just much rather have a sharp focused 4 hour game than a not as tight 10 hour one.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Square-Enix still own all the code and assets to Thief?
Technically speaking it's Eidos who owns it, but SE owns Eidos. Whoever the original programmers at LGS were may have their own copies of the code, but I'm pretty sure they can't legally release it. That's one reason why I suggest people don't buy classic game rereleases on digital platforms, as the money won't end up in the pockets of the creators.

HansDampf

Arcane
SOMA was free on GOG recently, so that's what I've been wasting time on this weekend. It's a mix between a Walking Sim and Alien: Isolation. Stealth is very casual though and often heavily scripted. It's scary mostly due to presentation, sound and music. Even if an enemy spots you, you can usually run or sneak away. And when you do get caught, you just get poked once, take a bit of damage, and black out for a second. The enemy will then continue patrolling as usual until you provoke it again. Makes me question the addition of Safe Mode. It doesn't make the game any less scary, and you'd have to be an utter moron if you aren't able to finish this game because you die all the time.
But it's still a cool "game" so far. I like this type of philosophical sci-fi, with questions about AI, robots, consciousness, etc. You will rarely meet any pure humans, only robots with human consciousness copied into them who still think they are human.
Like you.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Played Outlast for a couple of hours and then unistalled it,mediocre horror game with mostly jump scares that doesn't fully take advantage of the promising setting with some bad sneaking thrown in.Putting grainy and green filters on everything doesn't make the atmosphere better.Not recommended.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I really dig The Messenger, but I think it loses steam at about the halfway point. The gimmick doesn't work that well and I feel the 8-bit early levels are vastly superior to what comes later.

Still, I can understand the need for padding for today's audience. I'd just much rather have a sharp focused 4 hour game than a not as tight 10 hour one.

I think I'm in that spot?

I got the hat and the character changed a bit. Was this supposed to be a reference to 16-bit ? If so I completely missed it. I'm currently fighting a snake-dragon boss.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Played Outlast for a couple of hours and then unistalled it,mediocre horror game with mostly jump scares that doesn't fully take advantage of the promising setting with some bad sneaking thrown in.Putting grainy and green filters on everything doesn't make the atmosphere better.Not recommended.

I had the exact same experience. There were some genuinely creepy moments, like walking past that corpse in the wheelchair, convinced that it would spring into action at any moment, that genuinely put me on edge. A few hours in though I had no interest in continuing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom