Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Efe

Erudite
or you could accept the ending and roll a new character for that?
perhaps a wizard with high arcana?

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I had a character with high arcana with me. That still doesn't help you if you roll badly on the check because the game doesn't even tell you you failed the check. You don't know anything went wrong until you get to the end of the game dozens of hours later and find out you are out of luck because RNG decided to fuck you over 4 chapters ago.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
So apparently I missed out on the best ending entirely because I failed a hidden Arcana check way back in chapter 3. Wow. I guess I'm gonna have to edit the save file and replay the whole chapter 7 all over again. This is some fucking bullshit tbh.

Where was this?

Projas

Patron
So apparently I missed out on the best ending entirely because I failed a hidden Arcana check way back in chapter 3. Wow. I guess I'm gonna have to edit the save file and replay the whole chapter 7 all over again. This is some fucking bullshit tbh.

Where was this?
When you defeat Vordakai
thfztug.png

Projas

Patron
Does that check allow you to
actually kill the Lantern King? Because that would be the best ending by virtue of being the only ending not shit.
Kinda I guess. You get to turn Nyrissa's curse against him, but it's not entirely clear if he actually dies or not. The ending slides just say he vanished without a trace never to be heard from again.

Passing the check isn't the only requirement to get the ending though.

Sharpedge

Prophet
I defeated them but on normal difficulty.

I don't remember using any specific strategy - just used Valerie to grab 3 thandeamon with Tristian healing, while others focus on 2 astradeamon then killing thandeamon one by one.

0hy3pSa.jpg
Yea I just did it on challenging. The trick was
to have death ward on couple of characters. All 5 just spam level draining abilities. Kind of a disappointment in the end. It could have been a much more interesting fight.
I even turned one of the thandeamons into a dog :D

I think one day where some crazy modder does a SCS treatment for this game all these fights are going to be lots of fun and we won't even need to raise the difficulty.
I did something similar and just used animate dead. It was amusing to watch them trying to level drain skeleton champions.

Incendax

Augur
I want to rant.

Kingmaker has one horrible glaring oversight. You can almost never lie. Here I am trying to be a dirty villanous politician, the kind of guy who smiles to your face and orders your ailing grandmother to be evicted from her cardboard box. Every decision I make jacks up the taxes higher and higher, fines anyone who breaks the rules, exploits and squeezes random traders. I have committed genocide against countless races. Kobolds? Mites? Trolls? Goblins? Giants? Paladins(the scum)? Angels? Bloody massacre!

But I try to run a good PR campaign? Lie and claim I will help people? Or even save my loyal constituents because they need to keep working the mines and paying their taxes? I'm apparently a god damned superhero. I've gone all the way from Lawful Evil to Lawful Good, despite the fact that I'm still a raging despot, simply because I'm polite. Yes, I atone my way back to Lawful Evil. Yes, I'm just grousing. But you really can't lie in this game.

This guy is Lawful Good.

Fairfax

Arcane
Lying is chaotic act in D&D, not evil one.
The act iself has no alignment, it's a tool that can be used for Good/Neutrality/Evil. Law and Chaos in D&D have to do with enforced rules, not morality. As Gygax explained:
The terms “Law” and “Evil” are by no means mutually exclusive. There is no reason that there cannot be prescribed and strictly enforced rules which are unpleasant, injurious or even corrupt. Likewise “Chaos” and “Good” do not form a dichotomy. Chaos can be harmless, friendly, honest, sincere, beneficial, or pure, for that matter.

Sykar

Arcane

undercover cops are now all chaotic

There is a difference between an act and how one feels towards societal law and personal freedom. Just because you are chaotic does not mean you cannot act justifiably in a lawful way concerning certain actions. People should realize that alignment in D&D, regardless of original intention, only ever works as a guideline, not as an ironclad rule you cannot ever break.
Concerning the cop, they are most likely "lawful" but if lying helps them accomplish what their mission then, even if you can consider it an unlawful/chaotic act in itself, for the big picture it does not really matter.

hell bovine

Arcane
Does that check allow you to
actually kill the Lantern King? Because that would be the best ending by virtue of being the only ending not shit.
You need to
romance Nyrissa to destroy the Lantern King. One of the requirements is learing about Vordakai's curse from him.

It's a bit funny that other romances are about getting enough brownie points, while Nyrissa's has an entire list of requirements, some of which are pretty obscure. I guess someone at Owlcat decided to troll the sim-dating fan crowd.

Knocked out the valley of t he dead and Vordakai's dungeon. Strangely enough I had a harder time with the water elemental encounter in the room BEFORE Vordakai than I did with the lich himself. Even though he was immune to basically all my crowd control he couldn't stand up against the firepower of the fully buffed party, especially dispelling his defenses. The only silly part is that first finger of death he launches. The water eles actually weren't that hard either, I just didn't notice they were dealing cold damage. For some reason I thought water eles had special drown attacks and shit which is what I thought was dealing the damage, but as soon as I noticed it was elemental it was easy peasy.

For finishing up Vordakai:
Savescummed like a motherfucker to take a look at both options briefly. Letting him live sounds the coolest but even though it seems to give roughly a comparable boost to your kingdom stats if you sell off the souls, you then need to repopulate Varnhold. On top of that Vordakai is surprisingly lame as an arcane advisor. Octavia's got the same +6 as he does (Admittedly due to magic item boosting) which is a letdown for a goddamn lich. On the other hand, killing him means you get loyal living minions from Varnhold (Presumably more loyal than a lich that's going to possibly be plotting against you if he doesn't just decide to wait you out) and Vordakai's loot, which is kind of shit but whatever. Wish that whole quest line got a bit more love, it's a cool adventure hook but I would've liked more info and interaction with Vordekai rather than barbarians and the damn fey.

ArchAngel Saw you talking about the gems encounter, I actually tried reaching for them but for whatever reason it did jack shit, so I just assumed I couldn't interact with the face of the statue so I went the other route like Fluent mentioned.

Edit: Also may take another short break on Kingmaker until 1.2 hits so I can try out the faster loading. Not sure it'll do me much good since I've only got 8 gigs of RAM since it says it hammers it harder if you enable it, but what the hell.

ArchAngel

Arcane

undercover cops are now all chaotic

There is a difference between an act and how one feels towards societal law and personal freedom. Just because you are chaotic does not mean you cannot act justifiably in a lawful way concerning certain actions. People should realize that alignment in D&D, regardless of original intention, only ever works as a guideline, not as an ironclad rule you cannot ever break.
Concerning the cop, they are most likely "lawful" but if lying helps them accomplish what their mission then, even if you can consider it an unlawful/chaotic act in itself, for the big picture it does not really matter.
Being an undercover cop is not part of being a regular cop. It attracts special kind of people, I doubt any of those are Lawful. They range between those that feel breaking the law sometimes to help people is needed (Neutral) to those that do it because they enjoy being someone else and doing stuff they cannot normally without being arrested for it later (Chaotic). Lawful kind probably don't believe in undercover type of police work.

Funposter

Arcane
ok but they are also literally enforcing the law by being a part of the police force. that's kind of a big sticking point.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Knocked out the valley of t he dead and Vordakai's dungeon. Strangely enough I had a harder time with the water elemental encounter in the room BEFORE Vordakai than I did with the lich himself. Even though he was immune to basically all my crowd control he couldn't stand up against the firepower of the fully buffed party, especially dispelling his defenses. The only silly part is that first finger of death he launches. The water eles actually weren't that hard either, I just didn't notice they were dealing cold damage. For some reason I thought water eles had special drown attacks and shit which is what I thought was dealing the damage, but as soon as I noticed it was elemental it was easy peasy.

Savescummed like a motherfucker to take a look at both options briefly. Letting him live sounds the coolest but even though it seems to give roughly a comparable boost to your kingdom stats if you sell off the souls, you then need to repopulate Varnhold. On top of that Vordakai is surprisingly lame as an arcane advisor. Octavia's got the same +6 as he does (Admittedly due to magic item boosting) which is a letdown for a goddamn lich. On the other hand, killing him means you get loyal living minions from Varnhold (Presumably more loyal than a lich that's going to possibly be plotting against you if he doesn't just decide to wait you out) and Vordakai's loot, which is kind of shit but whatever. Wish that whole quest line got a bit more love, it's a cool adventure hook but I would've liked more info and interaction with Vordekai rather than barbarians and the damn fey.

ArchAngel Saw you talking about the gems encounter, I actually tried reaching for them but for whatever reason it did jack shit, so I just assumed I couldn't interact with the face of the statue so I went the other route like Fluent mentioned.

Edit: Also may take another short break on Kingmaker until 1.2 hits so I can try out the faster loading. Not sure it'll do me much good since I've only got 8 gigs of RAM since it says it hammers it harder if you enable it, but what the hell.
Did you sprinkle any blood on earlier daemon statues? I didn't.
Also it might be a Perception check that shows ability to pick up the gems.

What is strange with those gems is that they are not marked as trash loot like normal gems. When I clicked Offer in trade screen they were not transferred.
Now the question is if that is on purpose because they have a purpose later or if devs just didn't mark them properly. Now I am forced to carry them until end of game to see if they have a real purpose :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
ok but they are also literally enforcing the law by being a part of the police force. that's kind of a big sticking point.
The question is how many cops join the police for "honor" to uphold the law and how many join to get access to power you don't have as normal citizen. It is not said for nothing that many cops would be thugs if they were not cops.

What is strange with those gems is that they are not marked as trash loot like normal gems. When I clicked Offer in trade screen they were not transferred.
Now the question is if that is on purpose because they have a purpose later or if devs just didn't mark them properly. Now I am forced to carry them until end of game to see if they have a real purpose :D
I sprinkled only after I pawed at the face of the statue, after holding tab and seeing I could click it. It might've been a positioning issue screwing it up though. Or like you said maybe it's a perception check or something, even though I had an examine option that mentioned the gems in the statue in the first place.

Were they unique gems? 'cause I know diamonds (Both whole and dust) aren't marked as trash loot since they can be used as spell components, not sure about others. Although I know emeralds are trash loot-marked even though you need one for a crafter quest, which made me run to all my usual selling spots until I could find it and buy it back.

ArchAngel

Arcane
They are unique in a way I never seen them before and after and each is worth over 20 000 gp.

Sharpedge

Prophet

Sprinkling blood on the statue gives you a permanent passive buff. It is actually the better choice from a character optimization perspective. I think it also causes you to unlock a hidden quest tied behind a kingdom event, but I am not entirely sure. Across my 4 playthroughs I have had different extra quests which have been gated behind kingdom events, but the kingdom events have not triggered in future playthroughs. I am not sure if it is a bug or if it is due to different alignment choices :/

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
How can you even kill a demigod? Chapt VII as a whole doesn't make much sense, but killing the LN is the lower point.

Assuming you are killing him and not his avatar or something.

Sharpedge

Prophet
How can you even kill a demigod? Chapt VII as a whole doesn't make much sense, but killing the LN is the lower point.

Assuming you are killing him and not his avatar or something.
There is a dialogue check, (Religion 45) which taking provides a piece of lore stating
he is not actually a demigod and he is actually tricking everyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom