Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magic the Gathering Arena

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Ok so here's how my last game went:

Starting hand:

1 land
mulligan
1 land
mulligan
5 fUICKING LANDS!!!
mulligan
0 land
concede

fuck this dumbass shit fucking pie e of crap ass shit GAY-ME

Jason Liang

Arcane
i tell you, if I have 1 land and an opt, I keep. If you mulligan 1 land, 9/10 you wind up in the same fuck up less one card.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
there is definitely something wrong with the algorithm, i'm constantly flooded playing 18 lands and screwed playing 26

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
You could, or you could simply get value out of Saprolings dying with Slimefoot, Fungal Plots, Thallid Devourer, etc...

You could also grow your Saprolings with Ajani, Venerated Loxodon, Song of Freyalise, etc... T2 Saproling Migration, T3 Saproling Migration + Loxodon is a pretty fast curve.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wilderness-Reclamation.jpg

wew lad

Edit because the spoiler site is shitting iself:
xu9lelydk8821.jpg

Last edited:

v1rus

Arcane
Got 7 wins in constructed event today playing mono blue, 2 mythics from it (Divine Visitation (which might become good with orzohov afterlife synergy) and scapeshift taht seems like pure shit but, w/e)) and a third arclight phoenix from the pack i bought :positive:

Even tho im saving wildcards for next expansion, i crafted Izzet Drakes, cause the only thing I was missing was 1 phoenix and 2 checklands.

Luving this game. Only thing I mind is the fact I my three main decks are Grixis dragons, Mono blue and Izzet Drakes now, leaving me to complete green/white/blakc quests with jank, but eh. Patience.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Threw together Pirates + Rakdos + Experimental Frenzy (had about 30k stashed so I've a fair start on Allegiance), some thoughts on the new Rakdos cards~

Theater of Horrors~ This is like a mini-Experimental Frenzy and actually works in conjunction with Experimental Frenzy, which is nuts. The cards you exile every turn stay under the enchantment, which means you can cast them ANY turn later as long as you have Spectacle. For Pirates, this is a better card engine than Frenzy simply since a 22 land Pirates deck can't reliably get to 4 lands. Between this and Raider, Pirates have up to 8X card engine at 3 cc. This is THE best Spectacle card.

Judith, the Scourge Diva~
She can end games fast, obviously, and makes Fanatical Firebrand even more disruptive. Not a Pirate so she'll die to your own Cannonade- but in that case you get to ping a 3 toughness to death. Makes Grasping Scoundrels a lot better. Similar to Emmara, you want to run several copies of her since she's a removal magnet.

Car(nival/nage)~ Carnival is a convenient way to get Spectacle before and mid-combat, the flexible cc is very useful with Pirates. Carnage is meh but works as a pseudo 4 drop for Pirates. Forcing the opponent to discard 2 cards and cracking their head for 3 is sort of what Pirates want to do on turn 4, I guess. Haven't hit this with Raider yet but I assume I wont be happy when it happens.

Bedevil~ Never got to cast this, the cc is prohibitive for pirates and games are generally over too quickly for artifact/ planeswalker removal to become significant.

Kitesails~ I think these can make a comeback as everyone has spells they want to play with right now

Light Up the Stage~
Didn't try these yet but on paper they work well with Experimental Frenzy

Wish there was an easy way to splash green since Rhythm of the Wild giving all muh pirates Riot seems nuts.

Deck concept seems promising (although I wouldn't run 4 X Frenzy), good 1 drops and 3 drops but a little light on quality 2 drops.

Last edited:
I broke down and crafted a set of chainwhirlers just to more fully lean in to RDW shenanigans. Light Up the Stage and Skewer the Critics both look pretty juicy but I've been holding back thus far. If I started leaning that route I'd start feeling tempted to go for guttersnipes too and then I think I'd just be hurting myself.

Jason Liang

Arcane
This is my Pirate deck, for comparison:
2 Judith, the Scourge Diva (RNA) 185
1 Captain Lannery Storm (XLN) 136
2 Ruin Raider (XLN) 118
2 Dire Fleet Captain (XLN) 221
1 Dire Fleet Poisoner (RIX) 68
4 Kitesail Freebooter (XLN) 110
4 Daring Buccaneer (RIX) 98
4 Fanatical Firebrand (RIX) 101
1 Rigging Runner (XLN) 157
3 Grasping Scoundrel (RIX) 74
2 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
1 Theater of Horrors (RNA) 213
2 Carnival // Carnage (RNA) 222
1 Bedevil (RNA) 157
1 Drill Bit (RNA) 73
3 Fiery Cannonade (XLN) 143
4 Lightning Strike (XLN) 149
4 Unclaimed Territory (XLN) 258
3 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
3 Dragonskull Summit (XLN) 252
7 Mountain (RIX) 195
5 Swamp (RIX) 194

Will probably write up a Pirate guide someday. Don't really want to burn wild cards on this, but if I did I'd add more Drill Bits, Rigging Runners, and Fathom Fleet Captains, taking out Bedevils and Frenzies. Frenzy honestly needs Treasure Maps and 26 lands.

Reassessing Carnival/ Carnage, it's pretty decent. Carnage is a little better than I assessed yesterday. The 3 damage to the dome also triggers Spectacle, and it helps close out games. I had a game today where my dissolute men got Sooted but I was able to close out with two Carnages. Lightning Strikes + some number of Carnages + some number of Skewers + some number of Sovereign Bites gives the deck plenty of reach. I'm tempted to throw in Siren Stormtamers to get the discount on Wizard's Lightning.

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Got in about 30 matches with Pirates in the past two days, some thoughts~

Pirates is about as fast or even slightly faster than RDW. Winning on turn 4 on the go just happens fairly often and those hands a slower control deck is toast, especially if they have to play a shockland. They'll have 5 mana to stop your scurvied gentlemen, which they might not even have a chance to if you hit their removal with kitesails or drilling bit. The turn 4 hands go something like:
T1: Buccaneer or Scoundrel
T2: Dire Fleet Captain, attack for 2 (18)
T3: Drop 1 or 2 Firebrands, attack for 7-9 (9-11), maybe play a drilling bit or lightning strike as removal
T4: Judith or burn them out

There are slower variations on this, Drill Bit or Kitesail on T2 is generally good, Ruin Raider or Theater of Horrors on T3, etc... While the plays with Kitesails are slower, I almost never lose those.

Cannonades are your trump against all the other creature decks, especially white but also red, boros, green and merfolk. Gruul is a challenge. I'm strongly considering Pestilent Spirits to complement Cannonades. Sure, the Spirit will die, but it's probably worth it...

Got to cast Bedevil a couple of times but it's just a worse Murder so far. Should be more Drill Bit or Skewers. Drill Bits are the sweetness, I'm ready to upgrade to four.

Last edited:

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Honestly, I don't think the mono red decks are that good right now.

I've been playing pretty much Sealed only since the set released, but yesterday I wanted to grind out some dailies and I went with mono red since I already have all the cards for it, except one Risk Factor.

I actually lost ranks. :lol:

It's pretty much a toss up against WW and mono red, Golgari outheals me with Wildgrowth Walkers as does pretty much everything that splashes white and I barely faced any slow control decks.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wait a fucking minute. When did they get rid of the card rarity upgrades in the constructed event? Have I missed an announcement? I don't think I've gotten a single upgrade since RNA release and the tooltip about upgrading is gone too I think.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I think they lowered the upgrades, but now you get gems when you receive the 5th copy of a card. I don't know the exact numbers tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom