Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex's 2018 GOTY - VOTE NOW!

Kem0sabe

Arcane
One thing does not eliminate the other. I also want to do another "All-Time Top 50 RPGs" vote this year, since it has been 5 years since the last one. It's interesting to know how a game was received on release and how it went down in history years later.

I mean, does anyone believe that Expeditions: Conquistador or Fallout 1.5 Resurrection will make into a Top 50 list? But they were GOTY in 2013 and 2016, respectively. Meanwhile Path of Exile was voted 4th in 2013, but IMHO has more chances to be on a Top 50 than any other game from that year.
Saying it now, Witcher 3 will win that poll as well.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mean, does anyone believe that Expeditions: Conquistador or Fallout 1.5 Resurrection will make into a Top 50 list? But they were GOTY in 2013 and 2016, respectively. Meanwhile Path of Exile was voted 4th in 2013, but IMHO has more chances to be on a Top 50 than any other game from that year.
Path of Exile is a p. unusual example because it is an ever-evolving game. There is an absolutely massive difference between what it was in 2013 and what it is now, the number of acts alone more than tripled and there are tons of other changes and new content. It's almost a different game.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Saying it now, Witcher 3 will win that poll as well.
Saying it now, we'll be lucky if it's Witcher 3 and not Skyrim or Fallout 4

Path of Exile is a p. unusual example because it is an ever-evolving game. There is an absolutely massive difference between what it was in 2013 and what it is now, the number of acts alone more than tripled and there are tons of other changes and new content. It's almost a different game.
I've been considering getting that game just for the huge amount of content it seems to have. I'm still relucant though, because I'm not sure if I'll maintain my interest going through mobs for hours. I never was a Diablo guy.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
True, but there are other factors like that. Pillars of Eternity 1 was GOTY in 2015, but is it relevant now, after PoE2 and Pathfinder: Kingmaker?

And not to sound ungrateful, but some of those GOTY winners were basically driven by total lack of choice - or perhaps they pioneered something and were quickly outclassed by their competitors, such as Banner Saga.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
What's up with the PoE talk? Is there any fundamental difference between this and stuff like Warframe? Is AssCreed or Farcry eligible now? What about MMOs?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I also want to do another "All-Time Top 50 RPGs" vote this year, since it has been 5 years since the last one. It's interesting to know how a game was received on release and how it went down in history years later.

We already had a poll like that last year:

1. Fallout (107)
  2. Planescape: Torment (103)
  3. Arcanum (84)
  4. Fallout 2 (80)
  5. Baldur's Gate II (71)
  6. Deus Ex (71)
  7. Vampire: The Mascarade (67)
  8. Age of Decadence (66)
  9. Gothic 2 (55)
  10. Fallout: New Vegas (54)
  11. Baldur's Gate (42)
  12. Gothic (42)
  13. Icewind Dale (41)
  14. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (40)
  15. Jagged Alliance 2 (39)
  16. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (39)
  17. System Shock 2 (38)
  18. Underrail (37)
  19. The Temple of Elemental Evil (35)
  20. The Witcher III (35)
  21. Betrayal at Krondor (34)
  22. Shadowrun: Dragonfall (33)
  23. The Witcher (33)
  24. Dark Souls (32)
  25. Darklands (29)
  26. Ultima Underworld (29)
  27. Dark Sun (26)
  28. Might & Magic VI (26)
  29. Pool of Radiance (26)
  30. Wizardry 8 (26)
  31. Arx Fatalis (25)
  32. King of Dragon Pass (23)
  33. Divinity: Original Sin (20)
  34. Might & Magic: World of Xeen (20)
  35. Wizardry VII (20)
  36. Icewind Dale II (18)
  37. Ultima VII (18)
  38. Wizardry VI (18)
  39. Alpha Protocol (17)
  40. System Shock (17)
  41. Ultima IV (17)
  42. Divinity: Original Sin 2 (16)
  43. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (16)
  44. The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (16)
  45. Grimoire (15)
  46. Anachronox (14)
  47. Dragon Age: Origins (14)
  48. Might & Magic VII (14)
  49. Mount & Blade (14)
  50. Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail (14)
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...ge-of-incline-poll.122230/page-4#post-5658328
So the new games since 2013 you can expect in the Codex Top 50 are:
  • Age of Decadence (Top 10)
  • Underrail (Top 20)
  • Twitcher III (Top 20)
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Dark Souls
  • D:OS
  • D:OS 2
  • Grimoire

M. AQVILA

Arcane

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The 2012-2016 poll was much more useful because of the broader timeframe.
The poll covering the years 2012 to 2016 not only had a broader timeframe but also linked each vote to a Codexer. We need to replicate this style of poll with earlier time periods, which taken together will grant us a comprehensive view of the Codex's opinion of CRPGs.

Mark Richard

Arcane
I've been doing this since 2012. Usually there's always one or two big games that 50-60% of the Codex played. Witcher 3, DOS, PoE, Wasteland 2, etc...
If it hasn't been mentioned already, all of those games (except Wasteland 2) came out in the spring and summer months. Two RPGs the Codex has been most receptive to are Pathfinder: Kingmaker and ATOM. Kingmaker came out at the end of September and has only recently reached a playable state. ATOM came out last month and is apparently in good shape having started in early access, but a month is still not a lot of time.

Hope the poll participation is meeting your expectations now. I'm rooting for Kingmaker, ATOM, and especially Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Kingdom Come should win. It's the most original RPG since I remember plus systems-wise it's everything Codex stands for. It's objectively a true gem, even if you can't into non-fantasy setting.

Atom and Kingmaker are solid games I suppose but 100% derivative. It's Fallout and BG of the year. Nothing wrong with it, nothing brilliant either.

V_K

Arcane
Lurking 2 is the only game this year that has any business of winning. Hopefully, given the lack of blockbusters situation referred to above, the three votes given to it will be enough to get it to the top.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom