Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Kingdom Hearts 3 - Announced for Xbox One and PS4

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Should I replay KH 1 and 2 prior the release of the third one?

Vorark

Erudite
tn_1235245586270.jpg

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Yes. Play KH1, KH2 and Dream Drop Distance. I've played all the KH games and still don't know what the fuck is going on. Playing Kingdom Hearts will send you down a black hole of confusion, despair, joy, hardcore fisting and a mind fuck equal to that of an atomic bomb going off in your anus. But there is a lot of fun to be had. So yes play KH1, KH2 and Dream Drop Distance. Those 3 are important to the overall black hole of the abyss that is Kingdom Hearts

Duraframe300

Arcane
Yes. Play KH1, KH2 and Dream Drop Distance. I've played all the KH games and still don't know what the fuck is going on. Playing Kingdom Hearts will send you down a black hole of confusion, despair, joy, hardcore fisting and a mind fuck equal to that of an atomic bomb going off in your anus. But there is a lot of fun to be had. So yes play KH1, KH2 and Dream Drop Distance. Those 3 are important to the overall black hole of the abyss that is Kingdom Hearts

DDD, really? That game is far from fun.

And how are you not any less confused after that. You're missing out on lots of plot points and you're playing the two biggest clusterfucks without context in the series as well (KH2 and DDD)

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

And how are you not any less confused after that. You're missing out on lots of plot points and you're playing the two biggest clusterfucks without context in the series as well (KH2 and DDD)
Well you have to play KH1,2 and DDD before starting 3. Seeing as KH3 takes place right after DDD. As for DDD being far from fun? Well I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy it. But then again there are a lot of games that people enjoyed that I didn't like. So you are entitled to feel the way you do.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Well you have to play KH1,2 and DDD before starting 3. Seeing as KH3 takes place right after DDD. As for DDD being far from fun? Well I'm sorry if you didn't enjoy it. But then again there are a lot of games that people enjoyed that I didn't like. So you are entitled to feel the way you do.

Its the definition of style over substance with shit, combat and stupid systems (flowmotion, dream eaters, drop system) Not to mention they compensated flowmotion by making the leveldesign as boring and plastic as possible while still having you hit invisible walls everywhere.

I could go on a lot longer. But, like you said my opinion.

Also I don't get your argument. By that same argument why should you play KH2 after KH? KH doesn't preceed KH2 either.
If you actually want to follow the story in any reasonable way you might as well youtube the titles in a proper order.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Its the definition of style over substance with shit, combat and stupid systems (flowmotion, dream eaters, drop system) Not to mention they compensated flowmotion by making the leveldesign as boring and plastic as possible while still having you hit invisible walls everywhere.

I could go on a lot longer. But, like you said my opinion.

Also I don't get your argument. By that same argument why should you play KH2 after KH? KH doesn't preceed KH2 either.
If you actually want to follow the story in any reasonable way you might as well youtube the titles in a proper order.
I prefer playing games instead of watching. But I am not going to argue the drop system in DDD. That was pretty shit

v1rus

Arcane
Whats the deal with this series? Literally know nothing about it, except, the obvious.

Why do people like it?

Hassar

Scholar
Whats the deal with this series? Literally know nothing about it, except, the obvious.

Why do people like it?

Not sure. It contains Disney characters but all of the cool parts of Disney adventures are replaced by anime-style, overly complicated, needlessly dramatic story situations replete with nonsense terminology. Would have preferred to play as FF characters in Disney adventures - Terra/Tina interacting with Elsa pups be interesting, for example. Maybe even have Disney characters visit other Disney worlds. And I played KH1 and attempted KH2. Have to underscore how lazy the writing and scenario building is. Many of the Disney interactions were not about new adventures but just inserting Sora and co into the adventures to somehow being important figures which undermines the (vastly better) Disney stories.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite

Why do people like it?

Kingdom Hearts was a fascinating idea at the time (2000~2001): two power houses in their respective fields and at their best joing forces to create a game. KH1 was a love letter to people to enjoyed the classic 2d Disney movies and JRPGs in general. Then of course came KH2 and tanked the whole thing.

I mean, just read the news back then...

Square and Disney Interactive Unveil Kingdom Hearts
http://archive.rpgamer.com/event/e3-2001/e301-1c.html

The rumored Disney/Square RPG has officially been announced as "Kingdom Hearts" for PlayStation 2. The title is billed as a "3D epic adventure and role-playing game" and will feature new and existing Disney characters, as well as worlds designed by both Disney and Square. The 3D and CG worlds are stated to allow for flexibility and customization of gameplay, although no details were released at this time. The new Disney characters, Sora, Riku, Kairi and the Heartless are being designed by Tetsuya Nomura, best know for the character designs in Final Fantasy 7 and 8.

After a violent storm destroys his home, Sora, a 15-year-old boy, sets out to find his two missing friends. On his journey, he meets up with Court Wizard Donald and Captain Goofy who have set out in search of King Mickey, after he disappeared from Disney Castle. After joining up, the learn of the Heartless, beings without hearts who are out to recruit the Disney Villains to help them steal the hearts and souls of others. The Heartless have the ability to morph and were responsible for the storm that destroyed island home.

Some of the worlds the heroes will visit include Disney's Aladdin, Tarzan, and Peter Pan. Kingdom Hearts has been in development for 2 years, with a staff more than a 100 composed for members from Disney Interactive and Square. Kingdom Hearts is scheduled for release in Winter 2001 in Japan, and Fall 2002 in North America and Europe.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
The game ends on another fckn cliffhanger. Like really Tetsuya Nomura, you just want to milk your retarded story endlessly!

Yea. Never playing this shitty series.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
been playing KH3 recently, just finished Rapunzel's world and i gotta say i am really enjoying it.

combat's very fun, it's everything ff15 combat isn't, and it's constantly changing up with every world having different sets of gimmicks, but what really has me enjoying it is the sheer plethora of absurd shit you can do during combat from each keyblade having different unique attacks, cartoon characters you can summon (who each have their own unique play style), the different magic spells which power upindividually into stronger versions of themselves and then those leave terrain effects (like creating an ice slide or a trampoline made of air), the different attraction rides (basically another type of summon, usualyl a vehicle instead of a character), and there's even more shit i'm either forgetting or haven't unlocked yet.

EDIT: Also, bizarrely, you have better itemization and customization in KH 3 than you do in FF 15. You actually have item progression in KH 3, and you actually find useful armors that you can equip on any party member. It's bizarre because you'd think it would be the opposite, but KH 3 is definitely mechanically deeper than FF 15 in every way imaginable.

presentation and "story" so far is fine, very light, breezy, very charming stuff. Overall enjoyment of what's going on at any given moment depends almost entirely on what World you're in as they really make each world different in both combat and combat-gimmicks as well as in how it progresses, and so far the clear stand-out was definitely the Toy Story world, though i also enjoyed the Rapunzel section quite a bit (though probably because I never saw the movie so it's new to me; one complaint about some of the worlds is that they just replicate the movie story, like the Rapunzel one, but since I've never seen it the scenes are fresh for me).

I have played the previous two KH games back when they came out on PS2 but they were rentals, never finished them, and the last time i touched one was like 15 years ago. I watched a brief recap on youtube from some KH youtuber to get caught up and I gotta say it really isn't even necessary, the story is absolute dog shit and it's just an extremely convoluted tale that literally just boils down to Sora has to stop the bad guy from corrupting the disney Worlds. That's all. Now sure that sounds bad but that's a criticism of the overall story, the individual stuff that happens in each world is where you find the fun and enjoyment, and at least so far i'm definitely having fun.

Derringer

Prophet
Kh2 is badly produced shit sold on bad advertising and the original is a decent PS2 launch title for what it is. I'm not really terribly impressed by KH3 either, it's not terrible but it's just Kingdom Hearts 2 except less shitty in UE4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom