Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

T. Reich

Arcane
I've finally unlocked all the crafting bench mods, which prompted me to look back and compare the old master daily + master-crafting system against the new one.

Background: Ever since the masters got introduced into the game, there hasn't been a league where I haven't leveled them all to at least lvl8 (usually all of them to lvl8, but some leagues were shit so I wouldn't bother; plus, I barely ever meta-craft, so the old lvl8 mods were useless to me).

My stance on leveling masters and master-crafting has always been the following: master leveling is rather easy and unintrusive even solo for the effect they provide, and it's also well-designed in a way that allows people who want to power-farm them to actually do that. Master mods themselves are extremely useful for all levels of play, and are rather well-distributed in terms of ease of acquisition.

The bulk of mods would had been locked at masters lvl 5, 6 and 7.
These were the following average times to unlock these master levels (for ALL masters to get to that level, except Leo. Time is cumulative for lvl1->X):
lvl5 - 2-3 days group play, 4-5 days solo.
lvl6 - 4-5 days in rotas, 7-8 days solo.
lvl7 - 7-8 days in rotas, up to 2 weeks solo.
Lvl1->8 would take about 2-3 weeks, plus an extra week for zana, if doing rotations, and about a months solo.

What I liked about the old master syste is that it took really small amount of time to run solo, and spending a bit of extra time running a rota would also provide a greater reward if you wanted to get there sooner. In addition, if you had extra currency to burn, you could always binge on the master prophecies and force-farm a master to max lvl in a matter of hours.

The new system.
Master dailies now spawn as atlas objectives, on maps only.
Whether it's possible (or feasible) to do "rotations" in the old sense of the word, is debatable.
Master progress is not directly tied to unlocking master mods; rather the new unlocks are tied to target-farming specific master content.
Crafting mod unlocking is no longer deterministic (where the only factor was master rep grind), but rather heavily RNG-based.
It's still possible to force-farm master progress.
The new master mods are MUCH more powerful than before.
They also usually cost less than before, too.
The new tiers of master mods also allow for extremely powerful endgame-crafting with minimal investment into preparing the base.
Not all cafting mods are tied to masters now.

Comparatively speaking, the new master leveling is rather disconnected from the crafting bench unlocking.
In the old system you would know exactly when you would unlock specific mods (since they would be tied to a specific master at specific reputation level).
In the new system, you do not.

Currently, there are no mods tied to master progress for Zana, Einhar, or Jun.
For Niko and Alva, the progress is sort of tied - you can't get to those unlockable mods without leveling up a corresponding master.
However, a master progress is in no way guarantee that you will unlock some mods.
You must do a specific piece of content to find the recipe unlock. If you're repeatedly screwed by RNG - too bad. You can, however, piggyback on other players to get to that specific area, but a recipe unlock is basically an item that can only be taken by 1 person - no group unlocks here.
All of this kills master rotations, because now there is no real benefit to doing them.
Essentially, GGG removed one of the 3 modes of master leveling.

In addition, master missions now take way longer to complete than before.
The old master dailies had been standalone, where you'd hop in for a minute, do the thing and be done with it.
Currently, you're forced to run a map to get to a master daily. And then you can get in all sorts of nasty situations, like when you get your master daily on a map you don't own, or you get it somewhere in the WRONG place of your current elder/shaper influence, or on a map you really dislike.
Ok, you got a decent map to spawn your master daily. Now you'd usually want to complete this map and not just run it for the daily - it's especially true for high-tier master dailies. And that takes time. Especially if you're a slower player, like me.

I do not really like the new master daily system. It's too much of a chore. But at the same time, the rewards are too good to skip the dailies.

While a lot of the mods still have a fixed place/condition to get them. However, a majority of the new mods are veiled mods, and are only unlockable via unveiling the special syndicate rare drops via Jun.
This is a pure RNG territory.

Currently, there are 718 bench mods (that counts all the possble mods, at each level).
Of them:
8 are given on default
140 are unlocked in story mode
67 are unlocked by running specific atlas maps
15 are unlocked in specific Apex of Atzoatl t3 rooms
8 are unlocked in various tiers of Labyrinth
28 are unlocked in Delve
5 are unlocked via the Pale Court prophecy chains
447(!) are veiled mods

2/3 of mods are now RNG-based. In my opinion, it's a big middle finger to SSF players.
While a lot of the basic mods can be rather quickly unlocked, some of the rare ones require a LOT of syndicate farming, with copious RNG layers:
1) specific item type
2) specific item level (only for some raree mods, thankfully)
3) specific affix (prefix/suffix)
4) specific syndicate member (thankfully, also a hadful of veiled mods are tied to a specific member)
5) now you need for that veiled item to drop, and they don't exactly drop like candy
6) you get to choose 1 of 3 mods out of a pretty damn large possible pool of mods.
Let's just say that if you want to unlock all the mods or if you want to unlock some of the rarer mods, it's going to take a LOT of tries with a LOT of duds until you get what you want.
And you CAN'T buy your way in - not really. Sure, you can start buying up those specific item bases of requisite level with a velied suffix/prefix of a specific master - the current trading API allows for that. But unveiling is still RNG - it may take dozens of tries to get what you want.

It took me 1.5 months and a few exalts in buying veiled gear to unlock all the veiled mods (save 1, because the way to get it requires utter, absolute degree of sperginess).
Compared to the old cafting bench system, it's like pulling nails.

On the flip side, a lot of the old mods have been strongly buffed, with weaker tiers made both stronger and cheaper, and with some new higher tiers added, which are sometimes only marginally worse that what you can get on an item normally.
And then there are some mods that can only be gotten via crafting bench, and some of them are utterly insane.

Overall, I'm conflicted.
The new crafting bench system is much stronger than the old one. But it's also much harder to unlock overall, with heavy RNG layers added.
The new master daily system is much more rewarding. But it's also much more of a hassle, because it's now directly integrated into the mapping experience.
The fact that master leveling and bench crafting are now made much less interdependent is... interesting. Masters are now pretty much their own thing, and bench crafting is its own thing as well. There is some overlapping, but it's insignificant overall.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
New system for me is way better for someone that don't like to group. I never leveled the masters past 5/6 level before. Daily missions in games that are all about grinding are counter to the design.

Gorn

Novice
In this league i have problems even with mid-yellow maps. Zana daily for me spawns exclusively on maps i don't have or even never visited so no shop restock. Map drop is shit too. Like got rare cartographer chest today on t8 map and it dropped ~10 t2-t4 maps.
Spam chaos until you get +level and %/+ quant on cartos. In SSF I either run delve or do the chaos recipe to try to keep a healthy 200+ chaos stock. May wanna focus on delving deeper as well for city nodes, those drop a ton of maps as high as t16 at ilvl83. Fixed zana mission are a really big early on in SSF, not so much for maps themselves but for the +20 chisel deal.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
In this league i have problems even with mid-yellow maps. Zana daily for me spawns exclusively on maps i don't have or even never visited so no shop restock. Map drop is shit too. Like got rare cartographer chest today on t8 map and it dropped ~10 t2-t4 maps.

...Meanwhile I only run triple-scarabbed zana-modded quintuple-sextanted t14-16 maps and never go lower than that.
The joys of trade leagues.
Teach me your secrets sensei.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

...Meanwhile I only run triple-scarabbed zana-modded quintuple-sextanted t14-16 maps and never go lower than that.
For the low low price of 300c, all the secrets revealed!

Well, and thats basically the secret, really.

T. Reich

Arcane

Dunno if it's a secret, it's so basic.

I play in SC trade league.

I have 158/159 atlas open, with 5x sextants unlocked. Zana is unlocked at max level as well. You can get away with less, but every little helps there.

Prerequisite for sustainable runs: a couple hundred chaos (to buy materials + sustain you through bad RNG streaks, however I found the strat to be relatively bar RNG-proof).

What led me to try the whole thing:
1) Sextants are EXTREMELY cheap. Whites are 1.5:1c (as opposed to the usual 1:2c ratio of previous leagues - 3x as cheap!). Yellows are 1:2c, as opposed to 1:3-4c of previous leagues.
This allows to run high-tier shaped/elder maps with many sextants REALLY cheaply. And sextants would be profitable even at the older s:c ratios.
2) Perandus coins are surprisingly expensive, at 32:1c, as opposed to the usual ratio of 100-150:1c.
Considering that Zana's perandus mod gives 3 chests for 3c, and each chest gives an average minimum of 15-20 coins, you return 2/3 of your investment automatically. And then you get a decent chance of coffers that give phat profits in terms of coins, and other decent drops from the chests AND the mobs protecting them; both can drop maps.
3) Juicy beast-crafting. Some red beasts go for a LOT, and are not that extremely rare. Even yellow beasts are worth something if you know what to do with them. I know. I craft magic flasks. Made a good few exalts this league selling beast-crafted flasks to lazy morons for 7-20c a piece.
4) Harbingers. See Perandus. To be more precise, the summons drop decent loot (and maps!), and harby shards themselves can be worth a pretty penny - if you drop harbinger/ancient/annul/exalt shards, you have at least broke even, and those drops aren't rare at all (in the long run). Annuls are extremely expensive this league, thanks to all the new crafting possibilities. Exalts are too, because GGG let the bot-runners have all the fun this holiday season.
Zana mod gives you 2 harbingers for 4c. Even this is profitable.
5) Abysses are still fun AND profitable.
Available from Zana for 5c, you get 2 abysses. The thing that makes is good to run is the fact that high-level (ilvl80+) abyss jewels (hypnotic + searching) are valuable. They sell for at least 2c atm, and if you know at least something about crafting, you realise how easy it is to alt-regal a good searching/hypnotic jewel that would sell for 20++ chaos.
And then there's the fact that you get good loot from the abysses themselves. And then you can get abyssal depths, which is basically an extra map you run, with a guaranteed reward at the end (stygian vise; see abyss jewels on how it's amazing). With a bit more luck, you get an abyssal lich.
Worth running in t14+ maps, IMO.

This was my default mode at this point:

1) Roll a juicy t14+ - "juicy" means at least 80IIQ+23Pack. Chiseled, of course.
2) Do not corrupt - you want a Zana mod.
3) Ideally, you're runnig a properly-placed shaped map. By proper placement, I of course mean easy access to 3+ white/yellow sextant spots. For me, it's t14 shaped arena, t15 shaped belfry, t16 elder arid lake. Plenty of other possibilities, it's just what I like myself.
4) Run 3+ sextants that add extra mobs - any mod that adds extra packs is fine. It seems like GGG cleaned up the sextant mod pool, so it's not that hard to get the desired result.
5) Pick a Zana mod from ones that I mentioned above that you like most: Perandus/Harbinger/Abyss. Breaches are ass, IMO. Could be wrong.
6) Fill the gaps in device with fragments.
And then you run a DENSE fucking map, and you get LOADS of loot, and you get LOADS of maps. It's an extremely rare case where I don't get at least a map of the same tier back. Usually I get higher tiers, and LOADS of maps in general. If I actually cared to engage in the cancer that is map trading, I'd get mad profits just from selling the lower tier maps that I'd never run at this point.
Bonus round - proc a prophecy for extra mobs or an IIQ-boosting tempest. Silver is cheap, as usual. Just go for it.

And then I though - what's up with the scarab business?
Well, turns out, some scarabs are really cheap for the effect they provide.
My picks were:
Bestiary - as mentioned above, beasts are gud. Higher tier bestiary scarabs are expensive, but rusted ones go for 3-4 a piece. You're guaranteed at least 1 red beast, but it's usually 2. And some yellows, of course. AND they come with packs. AND they all drop loot. Mad value for money.
Ambush - same as above, higher tiers are expensive. But rusteds give you 3 strongboxes for 3-4 chaos. Not a superb value for money, but it's still good loot and exp from the added mobs. And you still get an occasional arcanist/diviner's box that gives you that value. Unique strongboxes aren't that rare either. Good filler, basically. And definitely a step up from a 1c sac frag that adds a measly 5% IIQ bonus.
Harbinger - rusted costs 3c, gives 2 harbys. Zana mods gives 2 for 4c, and is already profitable. So, you get a better ratio AND you can prick another goo Zana mod? Yes, please! Polished usually costs around 5c and gives 3 - still a better ratio than Zana.
Perandus - polished give 3 chests for 3c - same as Zana mod, sans the chance of getting a fat bastard. Gilded give 4 for 5c - slightly worse ratio, but extra density per map run makes it worth it anyway.
You can run other scarabs as well, but the ones I picked are: cheap, good ratio per chaos spent, easily available => spammable.

How I modified my mapping for scarabs:
1) t14+ only. You want those high tier map drops!
2) shaped/elder preferred. You can run cheap sextants that way.
3) 20q with chisels, roll for at least 80IIQ+23Pack. Do not corrupt - you want that Zana mod.
4) add any 3 of the abovementioned scarabs. I usually go for bestiary (unless it's a master daily spawn on a map already) + harbinger (cheap and plentiful) + anbush/perandus (depending on my supply).
5) add a Zana mod. I usually go for harbinger/perandus for t14-15, and abyss for t16 or JUICY t15 (if I roll a 6mod with 30+ pack size).
6) if it's an elder/shaped map - I add those extra mob sextants.

Yes, the total material cost is quite steep: 2c for chisels - 2-3c average for rolling the map + 3-4c for rolling sextants (assumes I use a red sextant on the map itself + 3-4 white/yellows with a bit of rerolling, and then divide the cost by 3 because sextants get 3 charges) + 3-5c for Zana mod + 9-12c for scarabs = 21-26c per map PLUS the cost of the map itself.
But it's all worth it in the end, because you get:
1) INSANE map density. The base pack size and decent map choice already ensures a good density, and then you get harbingers and beasts and perandus chest guardians and strongboxes and abysses and sextant mobs. AND then you get extra stuff like shaper/elder influence, extra possible map spawns like breaches/shrines/ghosts/etc. A guaranteed syndicate spawn, too.
2) most of the scarabs you added pay at least 66% back guaranteed, but usually you at least break even. You just get that in assorted other currency and craftables, not in raw chaos.
3) MAPS. Tons and tons of maps. Per t15/16 I run this way, I usually get at least 3-4 t15-16 maps back, plus a bunch of lower tiers.
4) And you still get all the extra currency and item drops from the mobs. Since I LOVE my alt shards, I get at least 20 alterations in vendorable trash for each map. And then there's usually a couple of sellable (3c+) rares, too.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I really need to learn to exploit the economy better. For example:
Made a good few exalts this league selling beast-crafted flasks to lazy morons for 7-20c a piece.
I didn't know people were too dumb to craft the flasks they wanted with bestiary, since it is so easy.

T. Reich

Arcane
Well, it's not like they're too dumb, more like super-lazy.

Plus there's a small-ish actual excuse of being fucked over by RNG.
If you need a very specific flask, you have to account for the fact that rolling the two specific mods might take a LOT of tries. Especially if you want decent variable rolls. That can sink a lot of alts (and your nerves) until you get it.
Much less of an excuse with the nu-bestiary, but it still stands.

For me it's easy, because I internalised the instinct of "see an utility flask drop - pick it up". Well, to be more specific - silver/basalt/diamond/sulphur/stibnite/quartz. ele res flasks are not in demand, and quicksilvers are too plentiful. Plus everyone wants their QS to be "of adrenaline", and you can't beastcraft that.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Elreon is really serious about "crusader" stuff.
nzncyt.png

thexspr

Educated
Tabula costs about nothing and is very much enough for most of content. And then hillock safehouse craft + quality master craft make six-linking rather easy compared to how it used to be.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So I got into this recently and FML how hard can it possibly be to get a 6L chest on the cheap
Tabula Rasa is about 13 chaos, which is pretty cheap. Skin of the Loyal and Skin of the Lords are also unique armors with 6L and range from 20-30 chaos, or 1 exalt and up if they are mono color (altho I bought a 6L all blue sockets Loyal for 20 chaos from someone who didn't know its true value).
But if you just got into PoE recently then you don't need to worry that much about 6L stuff. It's strictly high level end game stuff. You can easily beat the game with just 3-4L gear. Anything more is overkill and will make the game into more of an ez fest than it already is.

T. Reich

Arcane
So I got into this recently and FML how hard can it possibly be to get a 6L chest on the cheap

About 30-60 minutes of running Blood Aqueduct in Act 9 back and forth, give or take.

Collect all the rares that drop and do chaos recipe with them.
Hopefully, also get Humility div cards to drop.
With the chaos you get, you buy those Humility div cards until you have a full set.
???
BOOM, now you have a 6-link!

Protip: you don't need a 6-link to be good at the game. In fact, you'll probably still suck even with a 6-link. So don't worry about it and just focus on getting gud.

P.S.: if you want in on the Prestigious Official Kodexian Guild, you can pester me for an invite (@Toddler_Trebuchet). I think we still got slots.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
You can easily beat the game with just 3-4L gear. Anything more is overkill and will make the game into more of an ez fest than it already is.
I would not advice beating the game on 3L unless you're putting that in some really strong unique like nycta's and the like. 4L will take you all the way to act 10, but having a 5L can be pretty nice for faster clear speed.

Also, let me guess: You play standard and then complain the game is too ez? :M

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You can easily beat the game with just 3-4L gear. Anything more is overkill and will make the game into more of an ez fest than it already is.
I would not advice beating the game on 3L unless you're putting that in some really strong unique like nycta's and the like. 4L will take you all the way to act 10, but having a 5L can be pretty nice for faster clear speed.

I only do seasons. You're pretty babby at these games if you think beating the PoE campaign is hard. +M

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron

I only do seasons. You're pretty babby at these games if you think beating the PoE campaign is hard. +M
I don't know what you mean by seasons (leagues?), but I would argue hardcore PoE does not qualify as ez.

It's not super challenging or anything mind you, but it is not trivial, and harder than most games these days.

Angthoron

Arcane

About 30-60 minutes of running Blood Aqueduct in Act 9 back and forth, give or take.

With the chaos you get, you buy those Humility div cards until you have a full set.
???

Protip: you don't need a 6-link to be good at the game. In fact, you'll probably still suck even with a 6-link. So don't worry about it and just focus on getting gud.

P.S.: if you want in on the Prestigious Official Kodexian Guild, you can pester me for an invite (@Toddler_Trebuchet). I think we still got slots.
Thanks, this is all pretty good info. Gonna look into the trader crafting, that was always one of the more confusing things for me.

And yeah, I might actually join. Got a L76 Tecto Jugg, currently reshuffling his shit into late game (I heard this game doesn't like it when you do damage but hey, how about you get some life%? No? How about you get some more life%?)

Tabula Rasa is about 13 chaos, which is pretty cheap. Skin of the Loyal and Skin of the Lords are also unique armors with 6L and range from 20-30 chaos, or 1 exalt and up if they are mono color (altho I bought a 6L all blue sockets Loyal for 20 chaos from someone who didn't know its true value).
But if you just got into PoE recently then you don't need to worry that much about 6L stuff. It's strictly high level end game stuff. You can easily beat the game with just 3-4L gear. Anything more is overkill and will make the game into more of an ez fest than it already is.
TR is just 13 chaos? Fuck. That's cheap. A bro helped me get set with trading and I kinda sorta made 80 chaos in one morning so I suppose I can afford that, though for a Jugg I might be looking for something a bit more appropriate for the build.

And nah, not my first FIRST time, just first time to get to these levels and care about 6Ls. Last time I cared about 6L was back when the game ended at Vaal Temple and you could then rerun on Cruel and Merciless. But there's a fuckton of systems and I don't know much about any of them.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
TR is just 13 chaos? Fuck. That's cheap. A bro helped me get set with trading and I kinda sorta made 80 chaos in one morning so I suppose I can afford that, though for a Jugg I might be looking for something a bit more appropriate for the build.

And nah, not my first FIRST time, just first time to get to these levels and care about 6Ls. Last time I cared about 6L was back when the game ended at Vaal Temple and you could then rerun on Cruel and Merciless. But there's a fuckton of systems and I don't know much about any of them.

If you have Chaos to burn then consider getting a Skin of the Loyal instead of a Tabula. It's not as alt friendly as a Tabula, but it gives +1 to all socketed gem levels and 100% global defense values which is quite nice.

Angthoron

Arcane

If you have Chaos to burn then consider getting a Skin of the Loyal instead of a Tabula. It's not as alt friendly as a Tabula, but it gives +1 to all socketed gem levels and 100% global defense values which is quite nice.
Cool. Also, running Blood Aqueduct seems to give me fucktons of 6S. But no SINGLE AMULET IN AN HOUR AAAAAAGHHH. And only 1 ring. Ridiculous.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Cool. Also, running Blood Aqueduct seems to give me fucktons of 6S. But no SINGLE AMULET IN AN HOUR AAAAAAGHHH. And only 1 ring. Ridiculous.
Yeah, I always have the most trouble with the ring and amulet (especially the amulet) when doing the chaos recipe. The pain is known.

Angthoron

Arcane

Yeah, I always have the most trouble with the ring and amulet (especially the amulet) when doing the chaos recipe. The pain is known.
Well, at least 5/9 of a TR has dropped so far, so there's that

Sharpedge

Prophet

???

Thanks, this is all pretty good info. Gonna look into the trader crafting, that was always one of the more confusing things for me.

And yeah, I might actually join. Got a L76 Tecto Jugg, currently reshuffling his shit into late game (I heard this game doesn't like it when you do damage but hey, how about you get some life%? No? How about you get some more life%?)

On http://poe.trade/ or https://www.pathofexile.com/trade/search/Betrayal you can enter a minimum number links for a piece of gear and then if you want specific socket colours, enter the colours you want. For example if you want a 6 link with 4 blue and 2 green, you can do this: http://poe.trade/search/aziubimakinahi

On a trade league, acquiring a 6 link is not particularly expensive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom