Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Nim

Augur
Yeah, I always have the most trouble with the ring and amulet (especially the amulet) when doing the chaos recipe. The pain is known.
Jewelry boxes in delve depth 40 and lower solve that.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Around what character level does the tutorial end and actual difficulty begin? Is it after you finish Act I?

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Around what character level does the tutorial end and actual difficulty begin? Is it after you finish Act I?

After you finish act 10.
I though you were kidding and then saw Hobo Elf's response :)

So, around Act 10 my build choices will also start feeling impactful? I'm just lvl 11 and I'm not feeling a huge difference, but I guess when the level cap is 90 (100 if you grind) lvl 11 translates to around lvl 1,5 in a system with a cap of 20 levels.

It depends on the build you choose, but yes, most of the time builds will start to feel complete around the end of the main storyline and level 70ish. Many don't even use their primary mechanics until around that time. Level 11 is nothing. You've barely scratched the surface of how the game works.

Angthoron

Arcane

After you finish act 10.

So, around Act 10 my build choices will also start feeling impactful? I'm just lvl 11 and I'm not feeling a huge difference, but I guess when the level cap is 90 (100 if you grind) lvl 11 translates to around lvl 1,5 in a system with a cap of 20 levels.
Act 1 used to actually be kinda sorta a little difficult a loooooong time ago, I remember running the first ever timed races on it and actually dying on the Tidal Island. Now I think you only die if you go AFK. You'll start hitting slightly harder content after you complete Part 1 and get your resistances nerfed by 30% (especially if you're like me and like glasscannon builds and are "melee"), but until then, save for an occasional spike, it's pretty easy. Act 1 is honestly shameful in its state though, it's a bad intro to the game in my opinion - it doesn't have the depth, the difficulty, and even simply the look that should be a good hook for the game. They need to either revamp A1 or make a prologue act or something, imo - preferably revamp, though.

Regarding the trading, is there some simple way to just search for 6L chests or 6L weaps? I've been searching by [base item name] + 6L and it's honestly a major pain in the dick that way, surely there's better ways?

And speaking of, is the only way to check price against others when selling a unique or a gem by copying the name, going into search, and then looking at other stats to figure out the price range, or is there some faster way to do it? I am insanely spoiled by in-game AHs, but I admit POEtrade is way better than the original "Hey, check the forums for trading" option.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Since I'm a total noob, haven't even played Diablo/II, I decided to go with the most resilient character and made Marauder, and even play mostly with a shield.

Angthoron

Arcane
Since I'm a total noob, haven't even played Diablo/II, I decided to go with the most resilient character and made Marauder, and even play mostly with a shield.
Marauder is what I usually play. Unless you're on hardcore, you can ditch shield for now and go for a 2hander. Grab something like Cleave or Ground Slam for your main attack, and something like Leap Slam for your r-click, and you'll be clearing through the maps pretty quickly.

Useful hint: shift-click makes you attack ground in the direction you're clicking. Saves a lot of life for your mouse, and it doesn't matter if you have a target or not when your main attack is AoE.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Marauder is what I usually play. Unless you're on hardcore, you can ditch shield for now and go for a 2hander. Grab something like Cleave or Ground Slam for your main attack, and something like Leap Slam for your r-click, and you'll be clearing through the maps pretty quickly.

Useful hint: shift-click makes you attack ground in the direction you're clicking. Saves a lot of life for your mouse, and it doesn't matter if you have a target or not when your main attack is AoE.
Lol you are giving him years too old info. Nobody uses Ground Slam or Cleave in 2018/2019.
Now it is Sunder/Tectonic Slam/Consecrated Path.

Angthoron

Arcane

Lol you are giving him years too old info. Nobody uses Ground Slam or Cleave in 2018/2019.
Tecto at L11 in Act 1 on a new char? Ofc.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Does not matter what he uses at lvl 11. He can default attack and do first two acts easily. But for best leveling experience he wants the skills I mentioned.

AwesomeButton

Patron

I got the Ground Slam gem somewhere before I was lvl 3 and I've been ground-slamming my way through the areas without much trouble. I have a boost to my mana generation as well: +27% mana regen from an amulet. So unless I'm fighting some miniboss, I'm not likely to run out of mana for ground-slamming.

Angthoron

Arcane

Does not matter what he uses at lvl 11. He can default attack and do first two acts easily. But for best leveling experience he wants the skills I mentioned.
Dude, I'm just telling him the skills he can pick up NOW. Why the fuck would anyone default attack when you can take one of the basic AoEs and save loads of time? Plus LS is great for cutting corners in early game. Elevation? Jump on it. Hoo boy, that's a minute of running cut off the timer!

I got the Ground Slam gem somewhere before I was lvl 3 and I've been ground-slamming my way through the areas without much trouble. I have a boost to my mana generation as well: +27% mana regen from an amulet. So unless I'm fighting some miniboss, I'm not likely to run out of mana for ground-slamming.

Cool. But yeah, definitely pick up Sunder, and Tecto when they're offered. Sunder used to be amazing until it got nerfed, but Tecto took its place anyway. I hope you like the color orange.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Dude, I'm just telling him the skills he can pick up NOW. Why the fuck would anyone default attack when you can take one of the basic AoEs and save loads of time? Plus LS is great for cutting corners in early game. Elevation? Jump on it. Hoo boy, that's a minute of running cut off the timer!
I didn't say anything about LS (Leap Slam).. LS is a movement skill, I was commenting on your recommendation of main attack skills.

Angthoron

Arcane

I didn't say anything about LS.. LS is a movement skill, I was commenting on your recommendation of main attack skills.
I was giving early game recommendations for where he is. K? K.

ArchAngel

Arcane

As I said, any skill will get you to end of Act 2. After that the game does become a bit more difficult in each act, but not much. Act 3 and Act 4 enemies start dealing more damage and new players that didn't put passive points into some life will feel it.

When you can pick up Sunder or Consecrate Path. Tectonic Slam is good when you are nearer Act 10.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Don't the game rules make it so that active abilities scale in power as the player and his weapons level up?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Don't the game rules make it so that active abilities scale in power as the player and his weapons level up?
Yes but mechanics of old skills were never truly updated to match new skills they add. GGG is fan of making new skills that overshadow old ones so they bring in people to come back to try them.

Sharpedge

Prophet

After you finish act 10.

Act 1 used to actually be kinda sorta a little difficult a loooooong time ago, I remember running the first ever timed races on it and actually dying on the Tidal Island. Now I think you only die if you go AFK. You'll start hitting slightly harder content after you complete Part 1 and get your resistances nerfed by 30% (especially if you're like me and like glasscannon builds and are "melee"), but until then, save for an occasional spike, it's pretty easy. Act 1 is honestly shameful in its state though, it's a bad intro to the game in my opinion - it doesn't have the depth, the difficulty, and even simply the look that should be a good hook for the game. They need to either revamp A1 or make a prologue act or something, imo - preferably revamp, though.

Regarding the trading, is there some simple way to just search for 6L chests or 6L weaps? I've been searching by [base item name] + 6L and it's honestly a major pain in the dick that way, surely there's better ways?

And speaking of, is the only way to check price against others when selling a unique or a gem by copying the name, going into search, and then looking at other stats to figure out the price range, or is there some faster way to do it? I am insanely spoiled by in-game AHs, but I admit POEtrade is way better than the original "Hey, check the forums for trading" option.

There are lots of search criteria you can use, for example, if you set type to body armour and links to 6 then search, you would get this result:

http://poe.trade/search/izunitamioutom

As for your second question, you can use this:

https://poe-trademacro.github.io/

It works ok for gems, unique items and maps but I would not use it for trying to price rare items. Also, this site is a good source of info: https://poe.ninja/

AwesomeButton

Patron
Is trading an indispensible thing in this game? I'd rather just play with whatever I find and upgrade on my own.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom