Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2018: Results & Cool Graphs

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, as much as I'm sceptical about some parts of Kingmaker, I guess we all need to admit that it's AAA game in scope, and while comparable - I guess? - with ATOM, it's still more large-scaled game.
THat's why it percieved like #1 I guess.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Russian games in 1st and 3rd places? Surely Russian hackers were involved. We need to start a years-long investigation!
eyq1p1fo55801.png

All Codex polls should link each vote to a unique Codex ID, and the published results should include the details of each vote, as was done for the poll covering the period 2012-2016.

Mortmal

Arcane
Curious that AssCreed managed to beat Bard's Tale. Didn't play it myself yet, but it's hard to imagine it was that bad.
It's not bad . A pretty cool game that bard's tale 4, just that it's not a RPG but a nice puzzle game with great soundtrack and environments.

Geckabor

Savant
Really happy for Battle Brothers and KCD getting good scores. The DLC of BB really made me start loving the game instead of liking it.
Games I look forward to probably playing in the near future: ATOM, P:K, Star Traders: Frontiers, Kenshi, MAYBE POE2 if the turn-based mode actually happens.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe

Would be great if you can make a graphic like that "age of incline". It was definitely my main reason to join the codex.
But I made the exact same graph:

o4ozfCb.jpg

The difference is that the other one had several years of games, so people had more time to play them and the games got spread out more. This year we only had 4 games played by more than 30% of players, that's extremely low.

felipepepe Do you have time to Skype or Discord or etc for 20-30 minutes in the next week or two for a special podcast on these results and your analysis? Not a full show, we can record whenever
Sure, I'm travelling this Thursday, but I will be back Tuesday. We can do something after that. Or before, if you have the time.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Almost 30% of Codexers played Fallout 76, a game that, to the best of my knowledge, cannot be pirated. None of them liked it, but it was obvious long before release that the game would be a dumpster fire, and they still looked at it and said, "this is something I'd like to spend money on". What the fuck is wrong with you people?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
New classic is a retarded oxymoron nonsense term. Give it 5 years and no one will be talking about pathfaggot, kingdom cum or ATOM: a post-modern reference game. Certainly no one will care about pillars of shit 2: deadseries. If on the off chance any of these games are still highly regarded and often recommended after about 15 years, then we can say they're classics, maybe (but they won't be).

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm surprised that ATOM got a good go with you guys. I should go play it again sometime. I didn't really like it when it was in beta/alpha or whenever I played it, but maybe it got better.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Missed the vote by several hours, but it seems to me the results are satisfactory.

I only played KCD for a bit from the 2018 crowd and I liked what I saw, even though it bugged out on me.

I am looking forward to playing top-3 games when they receive all the patch support and DLCs. Or in the case of Atom, a GOG release.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
kingdom cum
People will talk about KCD for years to come as there are very few first person RPGs with historical worlds like it. People won't be talking about generic RTWP/Fallout derivatives in the next 5 years, true enough and once these recent releases settle in and the hype dies down I'm certain people are going to be rating them a lot lower.

Deadfire still scored too highly, THIS SHIT IS RIGGED AND I WANT A RECOUNT :x

I really do need to pick up Atom RPG, it's just delayed a bit since I'm still chewing on Kingmaker and dicking around with other shit. And I am really surprised more people here played Kingmaker than Deadfire though, despite my shitflinging at it. Unsurprised at the Bard's Tale trilogy crushing it though since that is really fucking well done.

ArchAngel

Arcane
kingdom cum
People will talk about KCD for years to come as there are very few first person RPGs with historical worlds like it. People won't be talking about generic RTWP/Fallout derivatives in the next 5 years, true enough and once these recent releases settle in and the hype dies down I'm certain people are going to be rating them a lot lower.
Like people are not talking about Underrail?
And I am pretty sure people are still going to talk about P:KM unless Owlcat release new games in same engine that are of same or better quality.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
LOL @ thinking that everyone played the game before down-voting it...
Everyone who has seen a few videos on the game knows more than enough for an informed opinion. And there happened to be A LOT of videos on the game :lol:
I voted where I felt I was informed enough to do so. Which in most cases, but not all, meant having played the game.

Would it be interesting to have an additional checkbox for each game to say "I actually played this" vs "I know enough to vote"?

V_K

Arcane
Deadfire still scored too highly, THIS SHIT IS RIGGED AND I WANT A RECOUNT :x
There is a way to make PoE drop out of the top 10. Just for lulz, I checked what would happen if the voting scale got streamlined even more, i.e. if instead of 1-4 scale we only had a like/dislike scale like on youtube. To do that, I replaced 1 and 2 votes with -1, and 3 and 4 votes with 1. This was the resulting top10:

1. Pathfinder: Kingmaker 0,71
2. Kingdom Come: Deliverance 0,66
3. ATOM RPG: Post-apocalyptic indie game 0,66
4. Ghost of a Tale 0,51
5. Kenshi 0,50
6. Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden 0,48
7. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age 0,46
8. Valkyria Chronicles 4 0,44
9. Avernum 3: Ruined World 0,41
10. Star Traders: Frontiers 0,40

Then I thought that this is the opposite of what I want - a system that prioritizes solid-but-unremarkable games over polarizing ones, so I did the opposite recalculation, giving more weight to the radical votes - replacing 1 with -1 and 4 with 6, while leaving 2 and 3 untouched. Now this didn't change the composition of top10 at all, but moved PoE down a few points:

1. Pathfinder: Kingmaker 4,59
2. Kingdom Come: Deliverance 4,11
3. ATOM RPG: Post-apocalyptic indie game 3,94
4. Kenshi 3,71
5. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age 3,66
6. Ghost of a Tale 3,51
7. Valkyria Chronicles 4 3,45
8. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire 3,42
9. Star Traders: Frontiers 3,42
10. Monster Hunter: World 3,31

Conclusion - the current voting system is fine and quite resistant to fluctuations, as far as the top part of the list is concerned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom