Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Crossbows using throwing would make throwing worthwhile, though - if crossbows are good. Are they? Never tried them.
The Tier 4 crossbow has SVD grade damage. Bolts have shit penetration though. Wooden are something like 10%, and even steel are around 9mm FMJs.

I'm all open to a sequel
Absolutely. I'd even go for DLC at the price of the base game since it was so cheap, as long as it gives me more content.

Atomboy, if you guys decide to make a sequel
... please add actual Russian weapon prototypes like the ones made by Korobov or Afanasyev. Even those HK33 could have been GDR Wieger StGs...

Cadmus

Arcane
this game would be fun to play real time if it was like fallout tactics but impossible lol. Combat system of fallout 1-2 is shit
Lol, in earlier versions we had this trigger written for no specific reason, that turned all combat real-time with a click of a button. It was hilarious!

Fuck!
I made a save before leaving the bunker 371 cuz I suspected an ambush and ofc I died.
But when I reload previous two saves, my character is just lying on the ground, dead.

Any advice? Seems the game bugged up and I can't continue...
Never heard about that one before. So the game autosaved on your corpse? Weird. Can you email us the saves from %AppData%/../LocalLow/AtomTeam/Atom to support@atomrpg.com ? We'll look into it, and revive your char if that's the case.
Well, not really.
The game autosaved somewhere in the bunker and then I made a save before the exit.
When I load any of them, my character is dead for no reason.

The game somehow overwrote my saves and made my character dead.
Gonna mail you now.

Btw it would be a great idea to make 5-10 quicksave slots, not just one. Helps with these bugs.
Hopefully you got your save fixed and sent back to you already, what happened there was you had some live TNT in your inventory for some reason :D
And yeah, extra save slots are always a cool idea!
The "a round" problem is already in the solving list, supposedly a fix will come around in a day or two!
Try sorting by weight! That's how I get my rubles!
And now, some insight into the next patch, as written by the balance guy and translated by me:

2. Casual-proofing pistols, SMGs and some ARs. All weapons were perfectly balanced before, but to see it you had to look at bullet properties. Since this is too hard for the casuals, we will be making it so low ap guns will have low damage and low armor piercing qualities, and high ap guns will have high damage and high armor piercing qualities, so the casual could be all like "ug, this gun has big number on it so it must be good" and he will be correct, instead of wrong, like before.

Or instead of being passive-agressive about "casuals" not understanding the brilliancy of your system, you could, maybe I don't know, explain the systems?

Grotesque above asked how Shields works. RK47 and myself had asked clarification on how the systems works 10 or 15 days ago. It has been near a month from release and zero information given on how systems works.

I think that is in a large part, why some people are confused and demanding changes.

Don't shoot the messenger, man! I just translated the thing. I explained about the shields to the best of my knowledge in this very post. Firearms, as far as I understand it, have damage, AP cost, accuracy limiter and chance to punch through armor (which comes from the bullet type), so that supposedly explains the inconsistencies in specking the weapons. So on the ground level, a burst from VSS costing 4 while burst from AR costs 6 looks retarded. But actually, it's supposedly balanced, because VSS has lower armor piercing qualities, and it's second and third bullets in the burst have lower chance to hit than the AR bullets. I argued that even if it's so, it's not noticeable. So now the guy is making an overhaul of the most criticized branches, begrudgingly. Now that overhaul will probably have actual formulae which I will copypaste to those who want them. It doesn't have those now, that's why I couldn't answer your question before if that was you on the Steam forum.

Sorry if I sounded cranky. I knew that you didn't make the changes or the combat system, and in any case you are only a part of the team. I appreciate and thank you for your willingness to be here and answer the questions of codexers.

My problem was with the "casualisation" of the game. First of all neither you or apparently the combat tester are alright with it. Wich is a perfect reason no to do it . Especially if it's by listening the morons at Steam. They are lowest common denominator and you will never be able to satisfy them. It's a losing, neverending battle that leads to decline caving to retards.
Secondly, the real problems with combat don't lie in the balance between firearms but in the way you are informed about the systems. I started playing rpgs with Realms of Arkania, Dark, Suns, Eye of the Beholders and others with out manual and I played Fallout 1 and 2 so I can kinda, somewhat understand what the hell is going under the hood and things like DT, DR, blindess and the rest mean. I don't have time nowadays to became autistic about it nor try to decipher how combat works. And thats without the problems with perks being underwhelming and strange to get, melee being kinda crap (it needs perks that lower AP cost, give free movent and special attacks to begin working) an auto being op as fuck (I think making each shoot in the burst be less accurate and with less channce to crit can start to make it less op).

Oh, and I second adding autobalance to trading at least. But I repeat myself by saying the inventory screen is cancer
Well that's the thing... Even though the author calls it "casualisation", it won't actually be that. Hopefully, we'll just get rid of the hidden and doubtful mechanics, which are currently driving the balance and everyone will be happy. Perks will also get some love, especially the melee ones. I think it's gonna work out for the better.

Luck should affect stuff in a more direct way, especially combat. You already had some ideas with grenades spawn on enemies. Make every point beyond 5 add 1% to chance to jam to the enemy weapons, making it +6% on 11 luck. Make it work even on weapons that do not jam usually so there is a chance to get lucky even versus advanced weapons. For any points less than 5 however you take the penalty instead. In a fight, only the single highest luck stat of any character affects others on the map.

That's not a bad idea!

Hm....
atomrpgpopnewrel.png

That's good, but how did that happen? It didn't even show upon release. That's the 1st page mind you.

It's not the first time that happens, actually! And get this - last time I paid for an ad, it was November, and the price was like 5 bucks to show up as an ad on Instagram. Then I got lazy, and just stopped doing any PR work whatsoever. I feel like I know the reason why that happened, tho! I'm really thankful! We all are!

Atomboy Could we please get different save slots for each character.
Tried out the new tutorial and it's pretty good. Keep up the good work and make this great game even better.
Yeah, that messed me up quite a few times myself. I really hope we'll be adding those soon :(

Finished it. GOTY 2018. Atomboy, thank you and your team for this gem.
Thank you! :)

If guns have different armor penetration properties, why doesn't it show in the gun description? We can't magically guess how mechanics work if we don't even have basic info on stuff.
Well, that's why we're revamping! :(
Atomboy
Numbers not adding up. I was wielding AKS74U
Tool tip says Damage 7-14
Then I start fight with book burners, 7 of them , 21 HP each.
I was one shotting a few of them with no criticals.
Can you explain how this works?

It seems that against unarmoured characters you do much more dmg.

Yeah. Supposedly, they have a multiplier for damage when they are unarmored.

Finished the game, so in addition to what I wrote before:
It was a really good experience, and I'll certainly do another playthrough at some point (hopefully by the time companions were patched to be less terrible).

Except for the companions problem, some skills seem rather useless:
Why use pistols if you can use rifles? The best pistol is worse than any good rifle...
I don't really get the point of unarmed or melee combat. Does it get useful in any way with higher skill level or perks? It just seems all-around worse than any kind of ranged combat. If being in melee would make shooting worse, I'd get it, but it really doesn't.
Pickpocket. I think I found one quest in the entire game requiring that. Maybe it can be used to get cash quicker, but by just roaming around you can get filthy rich anyway. So maybe not useless, but entirely optional.
Barter. Can be used to get a 5-10% discount in stores, and sometimes a bit more reward for a quest. The reward thing can also be done with speechcraft, which is way more useful overall.
Tinkering. Anything (except the best pistol) you can craft is outclassed by weapons you can find. That includes the 20% damage bonus. But even if you want to use it, a low value of 50 or so is enough for everything. The quality of the items you make not being tied to your skill makes it really bad.
Technology. I did get some sweet XP by "hacking" vending machines, and I think you can only get the poison out of that one poison bunker using it, but other than that... ?
Survival. I don't think I ever used it or it came up in a dialog. Increases movement speed on map afaik, which is convenient, but in no way required.
Throwing. Unsure about this one. I was throwing grenades just fine with the skill at 30 or so. Does it impact the damage? If not, probably only more range with grenades. Meh. Would be cool if there were other throwing weapons.

Also, the perk tree is problematic. Some really good perks are locked behind some that are either terrible or totally unrelated (like receiving more XP).
Their descriptions are often unclear, too. For some weapon perks, it just isn't clear which weapons are or are not affected.

Other nuisances:
That you can only equip a backpack OR a shield OR some other device is just completely nonsensical.
Having to put something like a card in your hand manually in order to open a door... Come on!
The inventory itself... Having two rows makes it better than the Fallout variant with one. But why not just have a proper grid-based inventory?
Aimed shots are completely useless, except for armored enemies. Hitting someone in the eyes, arms or head should really DO something.
The ending:
Considering the reveal about the comet, I didn't really feel like anything I did had much of an impact. I mean, all the towns are great now, but will either be smashed to dust or become the Borg...

Thanks for the feedback, man. Nowadays I just copypaste it all to the balance guy so he has something apart from my nagging to inspire him. We might work out something better with the pistols, and some of the useless perks. On stats, though, you need tech in a few dialogues and puzzles, apart from vending machines, and you use Survival to heal better and avoid some random encounters, but yeah, not much use apart from that.

thesheeep About the ending: I think that's precisely the idea. In a way it serves to reflect upon how the atomic bombing that brought about the world of ATOM also meant the end of everything that belonged to a previous era. Does anything we do matter at all, when the presence of total obliteration is ever hanging upon our heads?

Finished it today as well. Clocked 48h of gameplay according to steam, but about five of those must've been iddle-time. Took the time to explore and do every side-quest that came about.

The criticism I have to make echoes pretty much what the other codexers said: some skills seem mostly useless or have little to no checks (barter, tech, throwing, etc.), bad companion AI, the perk tree, inventory UI, and so on.

I do not, however, endorse the requests for combat ballinse. It's fine the way it is right now, with superior weapon types being better than others for the obvious reasons. If you wanna bring a knife to a gun fight, deal with the consequences.

I was a bit diappointed about ammo scarcity becoming a non-issue in mid to late game. Would have liked the feeling of each bullet being precious to remain up to the very last trail of the game. Would also justify investing into melee.

But in spite of all that, ATOM was a great and memorable experience, on pair with FO. I had lots of fun, and have already recommended it to all my rpg-loving friends. My congratulations and respect to the whole team.

EDIT: One point I forfot to make, is how much I appreciate the lack of end-game ultra OP equipment.
I hear you, but still we need to make weapons understandable. That thing that opened up about hidden stats rubs me the wrong way. :\ And thanks!!

Yes its fixed, thanks for the quick help!
Yes, there migh have been a live TNT but I dont know why it suddenly appeared to have exploded in both saves that were 10 minutes apart. Clearly, something got fucked up....

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
P.S. You're kinda right about the ending. And damn, you're fast as f*ck! 48 (or 43) hours for EVERYTHING?

At least I think I did everything. According to what was discusses in this thread, I don't believe I missed anything, but who knows?

I try to be expeditive and read rather fast. Also avoided most physical confrontations, which I assume might make for a bulk of the playtime, and didn't grind at all. Finished the game somewhere between lvl 12 or 15; don't quite remember and don't wanna turn on the pc just to check.
Same here.
Especially towards the end, I just talked my way out of any encounter (I was so used not to have faster animations that it got kinda imprinted on my brain to skip encounters where possible). Which of course didn't give any XP at all, so I was also around lvl 14-15.

krilcebre

Learned
Ok I'm stuck in the institute bunker. What a retarded ass way to lock someone in a game if they don't have speechcraft leveled up. I'm stuck with fighting a robot that bursts me down in one turn while i have 153 hp, best armor in the game and a metal shield with a shield perk. I managed to hit him with a timed bomb, a grenade, and crit on him for 120dmg with machete in one turn, and it got him to injured. Where is that tester motherfucker who said he is easily criting for 300 damage with a chainsaw (seems like it has bad armor penetration, as max hit i got with it on the robot was 84)? I have distinction that gives you increased crit damage too...

Edit: After save scumming for nearly 10 minutes, I managed to crit him 2 times for 150 and 100 damage, along with a god damn timed bomb and killed him. You guys should seriously reconsider some of your decisions, because some of them are borderline retarded. Companions don't even get triggered to help, they just follow you while you are getting shredded. And really, with all the armor and shield, you cannot survive a single fucking burst?

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Ok I'm stuck in the institute bunker. What a retarded ass way to lock someone in a game if they don't have speechcraft leveled up. I'm stuck with fighting a robot that bursts me down in one turn while i have 153 hp, best armor in the game and a metal shield with a shield perk. I managed to hit him with a timed bomb, a grenade, and crit on him for 120dmg with machete in one turn, and it got him to injured. Where is that tester motherfucker who said he is easily criting for 300 damage with a chainsaw (seems like it has bad armor penetration, as max hit i got with it on the robot was 84)? I have distinction that gives you increased crit damage too...

Good thing I have the best melee weapon.
rC5io8w.png

HiR1OyS.png

krilcebre

Learned

rC5io8w.png

HiR1OyS.png

I was about to uninstall the game. Can't wait to get to mushroom cult fight, that's gonna be fun.

RK47

Patron

rC5io8w.png

HiR1OyS.png

I was about to uninstall the game. Can't wait to get to mushroom cult fight, that's gonna be fun.

Well, don't save up on the boosting food and chems.
With full endurance chem / food you can raise your endurance from 1 to 11
+4 ED Chems x2
+2 Onion x2
+2 Condensed Milk x2
+2 Hospital Treatment x2

No problems.

With the chems you found from Bunker317 (very early game drop), you should be sitting at +40 Max HP and +10% DR and 12 AP (assuming you have DEX10 from eating 2 Sweet Rolls)

krilcebre

Learned
I had 11 str, 11 end, 11 dex, 10 int, boosted hp to 153, boosted action points to 12, best armor, good helmet, metal shield with perks, crit on first hit with good armor penetration weapon (basically best melee weapon in the game). Every time I died in one burst. It took me around 40-50 minutes to win this one.

RK47

Patron
Underused skills in the game.
1. Gambling - no point in doing this. Pickpocketing is way faster and profitable. Standard loot is more than enough.
How to fix?
Scrap it maybe. Just make a LUCK + INT roll when gambling instead.

2. First Aid - with so much food to heal HP, this skill use is limited to addiction resistance - dialog usage is also very rare.
How to fix?

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

Edit: After save scumming for nearly 10 minutes, I managed to crit him 2 times for 150 and 100 damage, along with a god damn timed bomb and killed him. You guys should seriously reconsider some of your decisions, because some of them are borderline retarded. Companions don't even get triggered to help, they just follow you while you are getting shredded. And really, with all the armor and shield, you cannot survive a single fucking burst?

Speaking about retarded and retards, why did you play this game as melee specialist?

RK47

Patron
Which is why I turned them off.
I was falling asleep the first time I played it.

krilcebre

Learned

Speaking about retarded and retards, why did you play this game as melee specialist?

I was trying out their tester's famous OP Rambo melee build. I was lied to. :argh:

RK47

Patron
I see no issue with just stopping Melee Skill at 140/150, since you start at a 50ish skill, this is basically Lv 1 to Lv 6
Then Level 7 - 12 can be spent on pumping Automatic to gain access to LMG or anything else you want really. Some enemies have way too much HP, and machine gun burst is the only good answer to it.

krilcebre

Learned
Yeah I know, but I was eager to see how did their tester go solo through the game with melee. Speechcraft. Dude never even tried to do it through combat. You cannot possibly go through all the though combat as a melee, and those 300hp crits are pure bullshit. Maybe he did crit for 300, but it was probably on the god damn rat or wasp. Thank god I used companions for some time so they are leveled up enough to use good snipers and have the best equipment possible, otherwise I'd be screwed as fuck much before institute bunker.

RK47

Patron
You probably need another 900 hours playtime then the melee build will work like he said. :lol:
840 hours more for me to get to that point.

Here's my melee build btw
9acNITi.jpg

:troll:

Last edited:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Yeah I know, but I was eager to see how did their tester go solo through the game with melee. Speechcraft. Dude never even tried to do it through combat. You cannot possibly go through all the though combat as a melee, and those 300hp crits are pure bullshit. Maybe he did crit for 300, but it was probably on the god damn rat or wasp. Thank god I used companions for some time so they are leveled up enough to use good snipers and have the best equipment possible, otherwise I'd be screwed as fuck much before institute bunker.
Yeah, I couldn't duplicate that build myself. Melee with buddies - sure, but solo melee? It takes a crazy person.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom