Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ace Combat 7

Swigen

Arbiter
Loved 2 and 3. Didn’t know they cut a bunch out of 3 for ‘murican version. All I remember about 4 is a boring narrator droning on and on over an acoustic guitar. Awesome games to rent back in the day, you beat ‘em in like 2 hours and feel like a stud.

Tiospo

Learned
They need to spend less time on story and cinematics(it's a flipping flight sim) and more time opening up the world.

Astral Rag

Arcane
it's a flipping flight sim

giphy.gif

flyingjohn

Arcane
Also have some tips for anybody playing the series for the first time:
-Immediately switch from novice to advanced controls scheme
-Play on the hardest difficulty
-Never buy the f-117
-Learn to use the gun,it will be useful later,especially against more mobile enemies
-Never shoot missiles at banking enemies,always make sure the enemy is either moving in a straight line or has started to change position.
-You can skip all the cut scenes if you are bothered by them and not miss anything of value

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
My copy arrives today. Can't wait to go home and start playing. Last Ace Combat games I played was 4 and 5 on PS2. And those 2 were god tier. So today is going to be a very long day at work.

Gerrard

Arcane
-Never buy the f-117
-Learn to use the gun,it will be useful later,especially against more mobile enemies
-Never shoot missiles at banking enemies,always make sure the enemy is either moving in a straight line or has started to change position.
-You can skip all the cut scenes if you are bothered by them and not miss anything of value
Are you implying that AC games have good or interesting gameplay?

flyingjohn

Arcane
-Never buy the f-117
Are you implying that AC games have good or interesting gameplay?
Dude we get it,you hate ace combat,good for you.
Good game play(especially when it comes to arcade console flight games) is subjective as fuck,but the series at least tries to maintain some mission variety which can count for interesting game play.
In fact,my second and last point should tell you that i have a problem with the series difficulty and cut scenes.

Kitchen Utensil

Anyone here played yet?
Is there a Free Flight mode? If so, how does it work, is it available on all maps? Can you choose some settings like weather for example? How big are the maps?

flyingjohn

Arcane
Anyone here played yet?
Is there a Free Flight mode? If so, how does it work, is it available on all maps? Can you choose some settings like weather for example? How big are the maps?
Free flight mode is available for all missions. There is no weather selection.
As for size they are mostly all the same size like int his video:

Xmantis

Novice
Anyone here played yet?
You can do Free Flight. Once you complete a mission that map shows up in the Free Flight list. There aren't any weather/time of day settings from what I've seen. But it's nice to be able to just fly around and enjoy the scenery.

I'm loving the game so far. Ace Combat is back

Now having played through the campaign on Hard difficulty, I can say this is definitely the most challenging Ace Combat that I've played. The story doesn't outshine Ace Combat 5, unfortunately, but from a pure gameplay standpoint, I'd rate Ace Combat 7 as the best in the series. I hope the increasing missile-sponginess of enemies doesn't become a trend.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Wow,so much negative reviews on steam for not supporting hotas,for a arcade console flight game.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow,so much negative reviews on steam for not supporting hotas,for a arcade console flight game.
Yeah, I would never use a HOTAS in an arcade game. It is absolutely not needed, and using it would just make some needless wear and tear on the HOTAS.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
they've finally been releasing the DLC missions over the last couple of months. mission 1 and 2 have already been released, and the 3rd DLC mission comes out in a few days

I hear the DLC missions have been really good so far. From what I have read, the missions serve as a self contained mini story, tying into the game story well, and overall higher quality than most of the normal campaign. I'm replaying the campaign for the first time, and I will play each mission when they take place chronologically during the story (I think they take place around mission 14 or so)

Last edited:

CyberModuled

Arbiter
I hear the DLC missions have been really good so far. I'm replaying the campaign for the first time, and I will play each mission when they take place chronologically during the story (I think they take place around mission 14 or so)
I'd advise not imo. Their overall difficulty and length definitely requires endgame aircrafts and parts in the aircraft tree if you want a good rank. Besides, the plot of the DLC is so sidelined by the overall main plot that it feels like its own thing entirely.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I hear the DLC missions have been really good so far. I'm replaying the campaign for the first time, and I will play each mission when they take place chronologically during the story (I think they take place around mission 14 or so)
I'd advise not imo. Their overall difficulty and length definitely requires endgame aircrafts and parts in the aircraft tree if you want a good rank. Besides, the plot of the DLC is so sidelined by the overall main plot that it feels like its own thing entirely.

I have already unlocked all the powerful craft after playing through once & s-ranking, and they released 3 high end crafts as DLC if that's not good enough, so I'm pretty sure it'll be fine. This game has never been that hard, it's just fun

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I never played a game of the series. Is this a good game if you liked Strike Commander 30 years ago?

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/ace...n-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-two-million

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown shipments and digital sales top two million
Ace Combat series celebrates 25th anniversary.

Sal Romano2 hours ago40
Total worldwide shipments and digital sales for Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown have surpassed two million units, Bandai Namco announced.

Today is also the Ace Combat series’ 25th anniversary. Air Combat, the first entry in the combat flight simulator series, launched for the original PlayStation on June 30, 1995 in Japan.

To commemorate the milestone anniversary, Bandai Namco Japan is currently hosting a follow-and-retweet campaign on Twitter for a chance to win a message card signed by Ace Combat series director Kazutoki Kono and an autographed flight stick.

The July 2-due issue of Weekly Famitsu will also have a 25-page special feature celebrating the anniversary, complete with a roundtable discussion featuring Kono, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown producer Manabu Shimomoto, Bandai Namco Studios development director Masashi Koyanagi, narrative director Kousuke Itomi, and art director Masato Kanno.

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown first launched for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One in January 2019, followed by PC via Steam in February 2019.

Visit the Ace Combat 25th anniversary website here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom