Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Murk

Arcane
Copied this correspondence from a reddit post:

19mbMAf.png
Honestly, that first demand/condition is beyond retarded and could only put forward by a kraut. Don't change stuff because we might want to do a dlc along these lines. lol.

I think you're misunderstanding, they mean don't make a mod that basically gives people the DLC for free (AKA, piracy).

-------------

I am glad it'll have more mods now, but I also read the email from Poz as basically a disingenuous veiled "you better do this or else" threat.

Anyway, hope this means more good stuff in the future -- though whatever overhype does next is a good-faith guarantee buy from me.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the state of the game? I was initially very excited for it but decided to wait because of Darth Roxxors impressions. I was especially put off by the lack of endgame and proper win conditions for the campaign.

Has this changed in the meantime?

tindrli

Arcane
At last he is no
KRAUT
I mean seriously you have devs that obscure game files on purpose making translations or modding practicly impossible and you call the guy who make it possible a fag?
He can be a giga fag - like I care - he still is a hero that we needed but not deserve.

And he is right about backlash - if they encrypt game again you will bet that many will stick with modded pirated version taht would have more content that their official one with new(?) DLC.

I AGREE. THE BRO WHO DISCOVERED THE WAY IS A FUCK GOD IMHO!!! I WOULD LIKE TO MEET HIM AND BUY HIM HOOKERS AND BEER!!
Maybe it was woman.
considering my luck from the past it is tranny at best.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the state of the game? I was initially very excited for it but decided to wait because of Darth Roxxors impressions. I was especially put off by the lack of endgame and proper win conditions for the campaign.

Roxor's review deals mostly with the lack of a proper endgame, which is this game's biggest problem -- something even its biggest fans agree on -- and which hasn't changed much since release. He got tired of the core gameplay loop very quickly and so he was disappointed, but I didn't and I've gotten over a hundred hours of fun out of it, and others still have been enjoying it for much longer. It's hard to say how quickly you'll reach the point of fatigue, but for £20 it's an absolute no-brainer, in my opinion. The DLC is worth getting as well. More content = more hours of fun.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man sometimes I love nerds. Especially when they devote their time to improve games and not contemplating mass murder or something of the sort

...but seriously, we should put a list of all the small improvements we mentioned in here recently and either convince modders to implement them or even do it ourselves

Murk

Arcane
The core gameplay is awesome, and the DLC added some interesting and new stuff.

Should buy and play, do not let bitching about (perceived) line of sight issues deter you.

Tigranes

Arcane

Darth roxor was wrong and you should play it right now.

The Gothics have poor quality endgame but that doesn't stop you playing it, right

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
The game combat and everything surrounding it is great, and keeps pulling me back to play the game. But the thing that at some point always turns me off is the gameworld being a backdrop or excuse for the combat. I understand the reason that they abandoned the simulation aspect, but you can't shake the feeling that the only thing that has a tangible progression is your company. Almost nothing you do really affects the world in a lasting way, the lairs and enemies appear randomly or worse, just because you got a quest for it, instead of the other way around. At some point you get tired of the bandits that appeared out of nowhere to steal an idol/staff/whatever in every village, the lairs that randomly appear all the time to spawn huge amount of enemies, you start not giving a fuck about fixing a towns problems because you realize there are no problems, the problems appear so that just you can get into combat (which is great). The crisis happening over and over again in a loop. Except for a town changing hands or permanent destruction setting (which goes the whole other way, as it could be a great quest to rebuild a town), nothing matters. Sure, you remove a town penalty or give it a buff, for it to disappear 2 days later and replaced with another idol stealing thief or whatever. There's enough content and areas to explore, and I don't see the need to forcefully create problems so that the player can have a contract.

I think the main design issue is the "single contract" quest structure, from which all this things boil down. The journal should have been more open, you go town to town, collecting quests, solving issues as you go along, having more agency in the order you do them. The worst culprits are the faction ones that take you to the other side of the kingdom to do a quest and you can't take any other while you go through those towns. Personally, I would have gone with the world creating 100 lairs, with them growing in power as time goes on and creating issues for the surrounding town. When you clear them, they aren't filled for a couple of months and they start from a low point again. Basically, make the lair locations permanent, instead of random spawns that disappear when you clear them, that's horrible for the world credibility. And the main problem that lack of world tangibility is that you can't create long term plans, you can't set yourself high level goals. Except for making an expedition for the black monolith, or some of the new locations, the rest is just random combat excuses.

Anyway, ranting just because the game is fucking great and just needs an extra push in the simulation aspect of the world. Make the consequences for clearing areas more lasting, don't create places out of nowhere, allow the player to feel like an agent in the world, with consequences for their actions, instead of the world adapting so that the player can get into fights. Probably for a BB2. Really, don't use the single contract structure for the sequel.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Indeed, that is the biggest flaw, the world is just a backdrop to power a nice combat and itemization, and that hurts the game a lot, but is still fun from time to time to get up to the first invasion or whatever. The DLCs kinda suck tbh, a bit of crafting, customization, a few more items, some events, those mobs, epic meh, but nothing to improve the game considerably. I understood last year, that they got bored and sick of the project, but if you continue to release stuff, at least make something with that map, and that fucking stupid map generator.

jungl

Augur
LoversLab when tho
Only when title will be changed in Battle Sisters - now with Breasts and Sexploration DLC

I can already see how they do a hentai mod for this. Add hundreds of unique post battle artwork. If you beat bandits then its one of your sisters getting fucked in a random position by one of the last bandit stragglers before killing him. If you lose a sister its some variation of brutal rape artwork or dark lesbian scene if it hexen are involved. Their would be flavor text also saying their bashed or hacked to death like it does in the game.

vota DC

Augur
The game combat and everything surrounding it is great, and keeps pulling me back to play the game. But the thing that at some point always turns me off is the gameworld being a backdrop or excuse for the combat. I understand the reason that they abandoned the simulation aspect, but you can't shake the feeling that the only thing that has a tangible progression is your company. Almost nothing you do really affects the world in a lasting way, the lairs and enemies appear randomly or worse, just because you got a quest for it, instead of the other way around. At some point you get tired of the bandits that appeared out of nowhere to steal an idol/staff/whatever in every village, the lairs that randomly appear all the time to spawn huge amount of enemies, you start not giving a fuck about fixing a towns problems because you realize there are no problems, the problems appear so that just you can get into combat (which is great). The crisis happening over and over again in a loop. Except for a town changing hands or permanent destruction setting (which goes the whole other way, as it could be a great quest to rebuild a town), nothing matters. Sure, you remove a town penalty or give it a buff, for it to disappear 2 days later and replaced with another idol stealing thief or whatever. There's enough content and areas to explore, and I don't see the need to forcefully create problems so that the player can have a contract.

I think the main design issue is the "single contract" quest structure, from which all this things boil down. The journal should have been more open, you go town to town, collecting quests, solving issues as you go along, having more agency in the order you do them. The worst culprits are the faction ones that take you to the other side of the kingdom to do a quest and you can't take any other while you go through those towns. Personally, I would have gone with the world creating 100 lairs, with them growing in power as time goes on and creating issues for the surrounding town. When you clear them, they aren't filled for a couple of months and they start from a low point again. Basically, make the lair locations permanent, instead of random spawns that disappear when you clear them, that's horrible for the world credibility. And the main problem that lack of world tangibility is that you can't create long term plans, you can't set yourself high level goals. Except for making an expedition for the black monolith, or some of the new locations, the rest is just random combat excuses.

Anyway, ranting just because the game is fucking great and just needs an extra push in the simulation aspect of the world. Make the consequences for clearing areas more lasting, don't create places out of nowhere, allow the player to feel like an agent in the world, with consequences for their actions, instead of the world adapting so that the player can get into fights. Probably for a BB2. Really, don't use the single contract structure for the sequel.

Good ideas, but lorewise ancient dead with that kind of settlement are strange. You destroyed the ancient tomb filled with skeletons with ancient equipment and a month later they come back? It would be more interesting if they grow stronger if you retreat or lose while they are replaced with modern undead if you beat them.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Good ideas, but lorewise ancient dead with that kind of settlement are strange. You destroyed the ancient tomb filled with skeletons with ancient equipment and a month later they come back? It would be more interesting if they grow stronger if you retreat or lose while they are replaced with modern undead if you beat them.

Definitely. Plus my idea was not that they are refilled with the same type of mobs.

Draugir101

Novice

This is exactly the problem the game has had, and considering how simple it really should be, it is ridiculous that the developers haven't made it their priority to make the world more of a simulation, than you just getting a random contract to kill an enemy that wouldn't be there if you didn't take the contract in the first place (making you even more evil?). When the developers focus on adding new enemies and letting the players explore, it seems they are completely out of touch.

Hopefully someone will make this thanks to modding.

PanteraNera

Arcane
But the thing that at some point always turns me off is the gameworld being a backdrop or excuse for the combat. I understand the reason that they abandoned the simulation aspect, but you can't shake the feeling that the only thing that has a tangible progression is your company.
Usually I am not a person that thinks that mod's might fix or enhance a game to a great degree (main reason for that being, that Modders do not know the original vision and reasoning behind why the game works as it does, nor do they have access to all the lore and so on) but since essential Modders can now alter the source-code wouldn't it be possible to "inject" the simulation parts from early access?
That would be awesome and I could even see Sarissofoi getting a hard on over that.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom