Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Is this first confirmation of "Priest" -class?

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
That's true
Considering we'll have more soldiers to manage - that should be enough ;]
And I must say I like how it's a very... 'PC design'
I.e. basically everything visible all at once on one screen (or almost everything - you mentioned personal skills etc. after all)
Instead of divided into five enormous tabs
UnstableVoltageToday at 7:12 PM
Yeah, we should probably change that to trigger the Codex some more
thinking.png

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Phoenix Point - Access Granted
Happy New Year!
Ok, so it’s almost the end of January and this is the first update of 2019. There’s been a lot of design and implementation happening over the last three weeks with a large amount of that going into the Phoenix Project bases themselves.

The Phoenix bases play a very important role in both terms of narrative and gameplay. From the title base, Phoenix Point, down to all of the other bases you will discover and reactivate as you explore the world - it is vital that we really nail these player controlled facilities.

hoenix Project bases tend to be built in hard to reach, hidden or otherwise fortified areas - underground or deep within mountains. The Phoenix Point base, currently the only known active Phoenix base in the world, sits high on the mountainside. This height above sea level protected Phoenix Point from The Mist and the creatures that came with it.

As you would expect from any subterranean base, tunnels and facilities have to be carved into the rock itself.

A representation of interconnected facilities within a base

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1548202376478_87">
PP_PLT_66x88.PNG

A representation of interconnected facilities within a base

Player built bases are a key feature we’ve been planning for since the start of development. Your starting base and any additional bases you discover will already exist and have their own facilities already in place. You, as the player, will be able to add more or demolish existing facilities. Not only is this important strategically, ensuring you have the correct facilities for your needs, but also important tactically.

If your base should come under attack, you will need to defend it. The tactical defense missions will take place in the bases and the layouts which you constructed. You will need to defend them while attempting not to cause any serious damage to your base and equipment.

The framework for Phoenix Base layout

" id="yui_3_17_2_1_1548202376478_104">
PP_PLT_TunnelsImplemented_66x88.PNG

The framework for Phoenix Base layout

Even though the above image is currently lacking textures and props, the layout system for bases is already up and working mechanically. A mixture of single-room facilities and connecting corridors, bases will also have multiple levels and raised walkways. Danger can come from above as well as around every corner.

The rest is mostly explanations of those concept pictures that Shog-goth posted above.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That turret seems out of place for a small corridor. It looks like it would do more damage to the structure it is supposed to protect than to aliens. Unless it is some electricity based weapon and the walls around there will not be conductors for it.

Mazisky

Magister
The training center and the satellite uplink are straight rip-off from Xcom2\Wotc.

On the other side, i like the base building and the fact layout will be reflected in the missions.

Game looks promising but they really need to add some wilderness areas to give visual variety.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
ArchAngel I guess it's homage to the old turrets which were also pretty massive.
What old turrets?
In original Xcom you could only build anti air defenses, these look like they defend vs normal troops.

You mean the turrets outside? They look anti-air to me, going by their angles. They could either fire missiles or a lot of bullets, both of which were historically used to down aircraft.

Edit : Oh, I see, you mean the turret in the corridor. There appears to be a fuel tank on the back, so maybe its a flamer turret? Or maybe it shoots some sort of chemical that dissolves alien carapace?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Apocalypse had turrets, but those were installed in the ceiling.

Indeed. I hope they phoenix point has both anti-air and base defense turrets.
One of the things I liked about XCOM 2 is how they brought back defensive turrets, but what I didn't like is how you still can't strap a big plasma cannon onto the Avenger and use it to shoot down UFOs, or how you are stuck with one type of turret.

ArchAngel

Arcane
ArchAngel I guess it's homage to the old turrets which were also pretty massive.
What old turrets?
In original Xcom you could only build anti air defenses, these look like they defend vs normal troops.

You mean the turrets outside? They look anti-air to me, going by their angles. They could either fire missiles or a lot of bullets, both of which were historically used to down aircraft.

Edit : Oh, I see, you mean the turret in the corridor. There appears to be a fuel tank on the back, so maybe its a flamer turret? Or maybe it shoots some sort of chemical that dissolves alien carapace?
Yea I was talking about the one in the corridor. Flamer one could work if the corridor was built to withstand flames from it as well.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes. Don't think anyone expected a release soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom