Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, Safav Hamon, how do you square this:

As Josh said in his video, please send us feedback and any bugs that you might find! The team is much smaller now and we need to lock up our code for console ports, but we will definitely try to get to as much as we can. We will continue to take feedback until the end of February

With indications of future DLCs? "Much smaller" team, code freeze. Doesn't sound like it's happening unless this mysterious additional DLC is already mostly done.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Gave it a quick go, turn-based working well, doesn't feel too test-y. Perhaps they should have brought back some kind of engagement for nearly everyone (ala PoE1), I just killed a zombie without being touched by diving in to melee and taking a swing, then ducking out. It's low movement per turn meant it couldn't reach me to swing back and it got no chance at a disengagement attack.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I have a pretty fun bug in where my party seems to be afflicted by crippling self-doubt issues, as they run their "I can't do this" soundbite on every single turn. There there boys. Chins up!

jf8350143

Liturgist
It's the beta version, so I expected there will be a lot of problems.

But it's much better than I imagined, although the lower level fight is quite boring since you barely have any skill to use and mostly you do is auto-attack (and miss).

I guess I'll restart the game and pick the option to start as level 4.

Jinn

Arcane
I will be starting a new game and getting the DLC during their next best sale sometime after this mode is out of beta. Looks great.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
TB mode seems to introduce cutoff points in the stats, a lot of abilities with a base duration of 2 rounds will only get bumped up to 3 at 20 INT (I think?). This seems more like the IE games, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing.

Seems like anything other than 3/10/20 Int is suboptimal.

It depends on the base duration of the abilities you're using

2 round base duration - 3/10/20
3 round base duration - 3/5/10/15/20
4 round base duration - 3/4/8/12/16/20
5 round base duration - 3/6/9/12/15/18
so on and so forth...

Does Stride affect how far you can move during your turn?

Yes it does.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The only suboptimal intelligence would be 11, 13, 17, and 19 because nothing multiplies into them (unless you use stat boosting items).

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Played around a bit. They didn't try to reinvent the wheel that's for sure. It's an incredibly raw system but seems quite polished for a beta so that's nice.

I also recommend using Berath Blessing to start as level 4, otherwise most of the starting island is just spend autoattacking.

Sentinel

Arcane
Tried it for a bit. First impressions are good, the combat is a lot better, although:
1) cinematic kill cam, what the fuck? what exactly is the purpose? the animations aren't even different
2) no hotkey to end turn, lol
3) exposes the shit mob mentality design to encounters, the first ship combat is basically you watching 15 AI do shit. Have they ever heard of this thing ToEE had called concurrent AI turns?
4) no initiative rolls in combat log
5) combat log isn't divided by rounds

Too bad the character development systems were designed by a faggot who hates D&D, and every class & ability feels so samey as a result, something taken straight out of an MMO. I probably would be able to ignore the offensively bad story, characters and OST if they fixed it.

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Be careful, the cinematic kill cam executes just before the end of battle it can kill whatever script it would normally run. I have had this happen to me and couldn't progress. Maybe turn it off.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Also Rivmusique has a good point, it is really easy to abuse lack of hard engagement system. Sensuki is probably furiously jacking off right now, because you can now kite forever with your backline, or just walk in, smash a dude then walk off. Lol.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Turn-based movement really points out how absolutely bad the pathfinding is in the game. I've had characters push each other out of engagement, and one funny moment was when I was moving someone in to flank, they pushed my wizard all the way with them. It can be pretty annoying keeping enemies flanked, thanks to this.

Definitely recommend the level-skip. While it's been feeling nicer to play, for sure, it's incredibly slow to start.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
TB mode seems to introduce cutoff points in the stats, a lot of abilities with a base duration of 2 rounds will only get bumped up to 3 at 20 INT (I think?). This seems more like the IE games, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing.
That's what I meant. The more rounds needed for a spell to be cast, the more it matters how much your Dexterity is and how heavy your armor.

Does Stride affect how far you can move during your turn? What's the point of Sawyer's tidy linear attribute scaling when durations are now rounded to the nearest whole number of rounds?
Mhm...

I have a pretty fun bug in where my party seems to be afflicted by crippling self-doubt issues, as they run their "I can't do this" soundbite on every single turn. There there boys. Chins up!
I have the same. Eder is constantly depressed. I'll feed him some Whiteleaf.

I wish real life would be turn based.
It is on the Codex!
:martini:

Turn-based movement really points out how absolutely bad the pathfinding is in the game.
From my experience, cutting engagement between your character and an enemy, with another one of your characters, will cause a disengagement attack on the enemy, and not on your character. I've done this in RtwP. Nice exploit.

BTW, you should post more, your portrait is pretty.
fedora.png

jf8350143

Liturgist
Also it's too early to tell but I think the balance will be all over the place in the later game, where there are several encounters that has dozens of enemies throwing at you. In RTwP, the recovery system allow you to throw aoe spells at them at a faster rate, but now they you can only cast one per round.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As Josh said in his video, please send us feedback and any bugs that you might find! The team is much smaller now and we need to lock up our code for console ports, but we will definitely try to get to as much as we can. We will continue to take feedback until the end of February
Well, shit, I really hope they don't abandon TB mode in its current state after February.

Prime Junta

Well, shit, I really hope they don't abandon TB mode in its current state after February.

If they're gathering feedback until the end of February that would suggest that would suggest they intend to do something with that feedback until a bit past that.

AwesomeButton

Patron

If they're gathering feedback until the end of February that would suggest that would suggest they intend to do something with that feedback until a bit past that.
Yeah, I mean 5 weeks left for feedback and no patches after that...

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
the periodic area ability changes for turn based are interesting. https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Antipathetic+Field for example, in turn based it hit for 30-60 damage 2 times. Once when you first cast it then again at the beginning of that characters next turn.

I didn't get to play with any spells that target an area, does anyone know if you can retarget them when a spell cast ends in turn based mode?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Also Rivmusique has a good point, it is really easy to abuse lack of hard engagement system. Sensuki is probably furiously jacking off right now, because you can now kite forever with your backline, or just walk in, smash a dude then walk off. Lol.
Sensuki

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom