Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Essential Space games

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Posting here cause Space thread has like 4 people in it.

I finally decided to buy myself a flight stick or as the hippies call it, joystick.
Now start listing out all the must play space games so I can milk the shit out of this thing.

Here are mine so far:

k1hlM3G.jpg

2CYIvDs.jpg

zu2KJfc.jpg

AYLRvXv.jpg

Also Wing Commander 3 but I don't like live-action cutscenes or the cover art.

ebL7XfU.jpg

X-series, all their cover art sucks.

Now list people.

Edit: Due to popular opionion, Freelance has been downgraded to non essential.

Not ESSENTIAL:
OUMMXcT.jpg

Last edited:
i play and mostly love all the space games i can find. freelancer is oh so goddamn fucking overrated it's beyond reason. it has no real economy, a stupid plot, a pretty retarded environment, a ridiculous flight system and everything is gated behind not only plot but levels too. with the computer's inability to dodge all the weapons are the same, and all the ships are only more powerful versions of just three different ships, one of whose is completely useless to the game's aim.
on top of this, the mod which should revolutionize and improve everything is just masochistic work, with fights which could take from 5-10 minutes to the infinite and beyond because the enemy has endless repair items and takes pitiful damage.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Huge brofist for adding Freespace 1 and 2. They are so good, it is beyond comprehension. Those mission briefings make the struggle in the war so desperate.

I also loved X-Wing Alliance a lot, so that is essential in my eye. Many people prefer the original X-wing and Tie-fighter games, but I think they are quite unfair in their mission design, so would rather stick to Alliance.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Anyone knows if I need anything to run "Hardwar" on Win10? The ISO I downloaded from a certain abandonware website only installs about 30MB of data.

i play and mostly love all the space games i can find. freelancer is oh so goddamn fucking overrated it's beyond reason. it has no real economy, a stupid plot, a pretty retarded environment, a ridiculous flight system and everything is gated behind not only plot but levels too. with the computer's inability to dodge all the weapons are the same, and all the ships are only more powerful versions of just three different ships, one of whose is completely useless to the game's aim.
on top of this, the mod which should revolutionize and improve everything is just masochistic work, with fights which could take from 5-10 minutes to the infinite and beyond because the enemy has endless repair items and takes pitiful damage.
That game is an embarrassment, the control doesn't feel like a spaceship or a plane at all. Probably After Burner feels more realistic compared to it.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
i play and mostly love all the space games i can find. freelancer is oh so goddamn fucking overrated it's beyond reason. it has... ..
Agreed on everything. But it's probably the most cinematic and accessible space combat game out there. So it's understandable mainstream audience will rate it highly. Because as it is, there is still no alternative to Freelancer.

I also loved X-Wing Alliance a lot, so that is essential in my eye. Many people prefer the original X-wing and Tie-fighter games, but I think they are quite unfair in their mission design, so would rather stick to Alliance.
Not a fan of the movies, but most of the star wars games I've played were exceptional, from my understanding X-wing games tie themselves too much to the events in the movies. Regardless I suppose I should try them if they are good games.

Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
> Lucasarts games (Tie Fighter is imo the best but all are worth playing) games are really good, my favourite games in the "dogfighting in space" genre along with Freespace even though I'm not a big fan of the SW setting. I really liked Wing Commander and Privateer games when I was a kid but imo the gameplay didn't age too well (maybe except for Prophecy but idk, last time I played it was long time ago), cool story and cinematics though.

> Independence War and it's sequel Edge of Chaos are very good and more realistic than the Freespace style games.

> Klingon Academy, dogfighting with big ships, very cool from what I recall. And has a really kick ass soundtrack. Too bad it's a bitch to run on modern systems.

From more modern titles I liked Strike Suit Zero but it's more of an simple arcade shooter (your spaceshp can turn into a mech XD) with some influences from the classic games. Maybe House of The Dying Sun is worth mentioning. I don't think it's a very good game, it's very short and the missions are kind of similar to each other (built on the same premise of destroying certain targets in limited time) but I really like the core flight and combat mechanics. I like that it does it's own thing in this aspect instead of being just a clone of FS or Wing Commader. If it had a proper campaing and better, varied mission design it could be up there with the classics.

i play and mostly love all the space games i can find. freelancer is oh so goddamn fucking overrated it's beyond reason. it has... ..
Agreed on everything. But it's probably the most cinematic and accessible space combat game out there. So it's understandable mainstream audience will rate it highly. Because as it is, there is still no alternative to Freelancer.
thus let's vote "being kicked in the balls" as the best experience ever because it's intense, personal and there is still no alternative to such suffering.
nigga please.

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Frontier: Elite II, Freespace2, IWar and Kerbal Space Program it's all people need.
Best sandbox, best pew pew evar, best semirealistic pew pew, best semirealistic space dynamics.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Freelancer doesn't belong on that list. Similar to Firefly (the TV show), it's useful only as litmus paper for retards: If someone likes it, you can be sure they're a retard.

Anyway, you guys forgot the Escape Velocity series. There's even an excellent, and completely open-source/free spiritual sequel available on Steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/404410/Endless_Sky/

It's a bit quirky and there's only one quest line at the moment, but it's a long, satisfying quest line with some C&C, and there are numerous hidden side missions to discover and solve. Mechanically, scratches all the same itches as EV and then some, while still being very much its own game. Fantastic exploration element.

Ibbz

Augur
Privateer 1 & the expansion are worth a go - also Starlancer (prequel to Freelancer) seemed enjoyable many years ago, although I only played the demo - it was much closer to Freespace / Wing Commanders in gameplay than Freelancer was.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Tachyon: The Fringe is a great fun and has Bruce Campbell giving voice to main character.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Temenos

Literate
FreeSpace 2 without a doubt gets the brofist (and an honorary mention to FreeSpace 1).

In fact, I give it double brofists for the fact that because it was open sourced years ago, we have the "FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project" which has allowed it to not only work properly on modern systems (including others it wasn't designed for such as Linux), but has allowed the user-made mission scene to thrive in a way that I've not seen many others space games do so. Hell I just started a Blue Planet playthrough for the first time recently and that rivals a lot of commercial games I've played.

yellowcake

Arcane
Anyone here remembers his playthrough of first I-War or can point to a walkthrough strategy guide on the webz? I really wanted to get into it a few years ago, to the point of building a period correct PC with a voodoo3 card but got my ass pounded repeatedly in an early mission with infinitely spawning fighter craft giving me a hard time.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS

SPACE RANGERS TWO
STARFLIGHT
STAR CONTROL TWO

I GOT HARDWAR WORKING ONE I THUNK I USED DOSBOX

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Freespace 2 is not just the best space game, but one of the best games ever. Years before something like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty even existed with their splashy campaigns, FS1 and FS2 had the tension and dramatic missions exactly right, and the developers understood that the scale of the ships was enough to ensure a cinematic look in space.

Freelancer doesn't belong on that list. Similar to Firefly (the TV show), it's useful only as litmus paper for retards: If someone likes it, you can be sure they're a retard.

I expected the usual Codex edginess from some replies in the thread -- but not from you, who made the thread for and spent a lot of time hyping Limit Theory in the 'dex.

It's still not too late not to be an idiot like the rest. Freelancer is indeed a project of failed ambitions -- but at least it exists. More than 15 years after its release there is nothing that scratches the same itch. If there is -- point me to it.

Freespace 2 is not just the best space game, but one of the best games ever. Years before something like Medal of Honor and Call of Duty even existed with their splashy campaigns, FS1 and FS2 had the tension and dramatic missions exactly right, and the developers understood that the scale of the ships was enough to ensure a cinematic look in space.
DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!
Never forget. Did anyone survive that collision for the very first time, I wonder?
I was just sitting there, thinking, stop shouting at me you silly wingman. I will dive when I want-OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT HUGE SHIP DOING HERE!!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom