Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Game is scary as shit-

Spent a few hours playing it and its fucking amazing but the game is too tense for me to enjoy playing by myself- Its a 'pass the control' with a friend kinda game so you can relax a bit while playing.

Probably the scariest game ive ever played.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Hardcore is hard, much harder than the original game was. Ammo scarcity is comparable to REmake.

Also god damn Supreme Gentleman Tyrant Mr. X is terrifying.

At some points he starts chasing you, nowhere is safe until you solve whatever puzzle that ends his chasing segment. You can only slow down his superhuman tracking skill by being stealthy and on the move. Fucker chased me straight into licker and zombie rape.

sullynathan

Arcane
giphy.gif

Wunderbar

Arcane
Don't expect a RE2 remake to be like RE2
well, yeah. it's pretty bad as a faithful remake.
I understand that "it's a good game but a bad fallout game" mentality is retarded, but i can't help it. Just like all of you i'm disappointed in the lack of faithfulness and that capcom decided against fixed camera angles (especially since it was probably the last chance of getting an AAA game with fixed camera). But they made a good game.

I would actually respect them more if they made it totally over the top like RE4 and the ones that came after. Drop kicking zombies and stuff.
well, they kinda failed to please both groups of fans, so going all the way into RE4 could've give us a more cohesive game.

RE4 is quite low in my RE top list...
RE4 was an amazing action game, and series started to go into action territory as early as in RE2.

It's pretty damn good, if you don't expect it to be like RE2, lol.
I'd place it right after RE4 in my list of over-the-shoulder RE games.
Appropriate, since 4 is complete trash.
and you're fat.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Dx0jvxlWwAAeIfR.jpg

I completed my first playthrough. Nine hours on Hard. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the game. I think is a good remake and a great RE on is own. As I wrote before, my main complain about the game is how subtle is the music in general. It gets better at the end in the lab section, but I miss constant music in the police station hall and save rooms. The funny thing is that when I completed the game I went into the 3D models gallery, and the thing that sounds is this:

I mean, what the fuck? This should be played at max vol when you are in a save room! Just like when you switch to the classic ost!

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

My impromptu "no magnum" challenge first run ended at about 8 and a half hours on Standard.

It's pretty good, I'm looking forward to doing the second playthrough with Claire.

Stuff I liked:

-Ammo conservation, ammo is a precious resource especially when you're me and you're missing a vital fucking gun since it vanished on you somehow.
-The game itself looks fantastic, some of the best visuals I've seen and I'm normally not a graphics slut. Facial expressions are insane, especially on characters like Ada.
-Atmosphere is near perfect, making sections that I didn't care much for in the OG RE2 like the Umbrella lab quite unnerving. The RPD itself is really damn good.
-Zombies being a threat again is very welcomed, I love that paranoia you have where you're never truly sure if they're dead or not unless you see their brain splattered on the floor.
-The Lickers in this game are way better done. The idea you can slowly walk past them as they crawl around on the walls and shit and try to detect you with their tongues is a huge upgrade from the shotgun fodder they used to be. They're also way deadlier.
-GIANT ALLIGATOR IS BACK.
-Leon himself is much more likable here as the fresh faced rookie and not the edgy emo haircut retard he becomes in RE4. God, post RE2 Leon is an insufferable cunt.

Stuff I disliked:

-Enemy variety does feel lacking which is a shame since the enemies they do give you are really great. The huge mutations that replace the giant spiders in the sewers are kind of lame though, and I say that with unapologetic bias. Sorry fuckos, giant spiders would've made the sewers even better.
-Some cut or reimagined portions. The entire early city portion in the OG RE2 being drastically shortened sucks donkey dicks since the little bit you do see looks so fucking cool. I don't really care for how they tried to make more out of Kendo. It's nice and all, but I want this guy to get obliterated by eight zombies due to being a total ponce.
-Mr. X. I don't know about you all, but this guy felt really fucking annoying than tense or intimidating. At least in the RPD section when he first appears and hunts you down as you're trying to do puzzles and explore loose ends. Like, fuck off you fedora wearing geek. Hopefully Nemesis won't be a constant cockblock on your exploration, Mr. X works better in short bursts like in the OG RE2 if you ask me. Nemesis was designed for certain areas which made him much more memorable and dreadful.
-As much as I like the zombies, there are some that reach levels of "we just want to waste your handgun ammo." Like I must have put fifteen or twenty into one fucker, prioritizing the head, and he dare sits up on me.
-The OST sucks dick.

Generic-Giant-Spider

When it comes to REmake vs. RE2 Remake I still give the edge to REmake. It followed the source much more faithfully but at the same time perfected it. If every remake of games was the quality and care of Resident Evil 1's, there would be a lot of excellent games out there.

Not to shit on RE2 Remake though, because it's still a very good game and easily the best of the over-the-shoulder style REs. The big net gain is that RE2 Remake remembers its roots as a survival horror game and keeps a lot of itself more grounded compared to what you'd get in RE4 and beyond. If you told me Resident Evil would continue on the course RE2 Remake set, I'd go back to buying these games whenever they released for sure.

REmake = Excellent
RE2 Remake = Great, could have been excellent but they snubbed ya boy here

Deleted member 7219

Capcom needs to make Revelations 3 now.

Revelations 2 was a chore to play through.

RE 7 was fun.

They should therefore make RE 8, and do remakes of RE 3 and Code Veronica for the people who didn’t get to play the originals.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I won't pull a fast one, I was sitting here, an erection firmly intact thinking of all the ways I could blast this game to pieces and say how much it sucks.

However, I am a BIG boy, I can admit that this is a solid game. As for OG vs. Remake, it's too subjective to say. I think this game is much more difficult than the OG RE2 though, but this is just first playthrough virginity and again I must stress I was missing a very important gun for the entirety of my playtime. Like the shotgun was my "only for very special occasions" firepower.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I've almost finished a Claire playthrough and I broadly agree with what Spider says.

Whilst it isn't perfect, it's hard to believe this is a game made in *CURRENT YEAR*. Even with the OTS view, it still feels like a classic RE game.

Also I agree with the difficulty, if anything it is harder than the original. Things do more damage and ammo is scarcer. At least, that's how it feels.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I wonder if Capcom will chicken out of FPS genre and will make RE8 an over-the-shoulder game starring Leon or someone other familiar.

Viata

Arcane
RE3 was released on Playstation, GameCube, Windows and Dreamcast. It was also released on PSN so that PSP and PS3 users could play it. There is also emulators for every console that RE3 was released. RECV was released on Dreamcast, PS2, GameCube, PS3, Xbox 360. It was also released on PS4.
The only reason people didn't play those games is because they don't want it, not because they "didn't get to play it".
If they only want to play the supposed REmake 3/CV I can understand that, but that has nothing to do with not being able to play the original.

Momock

Augur
Also I agree with the difficulty, if anything it is harder than the original. Things do more damage and ammo is scarcer. At least, that's how it feels.
It's not how it feels, it is. The original is super easy. Like... you don't even know what to do with your ammo. I never used the magnum or the uzis in the original for example, because they throw grenades and shotgun ammo at you like candy. And the ennemies are also weak (1 shotgun blast to blow 3 zombie heads, 2 to kill a licker. Claire's grenade launcher 1-shots everything if you use the right element).

Generic-Giant-Spider

I contributed to that 65%.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom