Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Reinhardt

Arcane
The DLCs are balanced with the expectation you'll begin them around the following levels:

Beast Of Winter: level 14
Seeker Slayer Survivor: level 16
Forgotten Sanctum: level 18

They don't increase the level cap, so if you do them on your current character you'll be level 20 the whole time. Whether you should do them now or start a new game depends mainly on whether you're OK with the xp meter not going up. The second two DLCs have enough challenging content to still be worth doing at max level, and the first has some of the best story content in the game(for what that's worth)
There is mod on nexus to raise your level cap to 30+.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The combat system is better than DOS:2.
I see we are setting the bar high.

#TotallyNotModInAlpha
- Knockdown is useless, except for the accuracy bonus. The enemy character gets up when his turn comes and still performs two actions.
- The monk ability Swift Strikes is useless. You get +15% Action speed, which means nothing in TB mode, and +5 Dexterity for one round.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Knockdown is useless, except for the accuracy bonus. The enemy character gets up when his turn comes and still performs two actions.
I've never used Knockdown in PoE2 but IIRC there's no Prone affliction like in PoE1, i.e. it doesn't have a duration in the RTwP mode either.

The monk ability Swift Strikes is useless. You get +15% Action speed, which means nothing in TB mode, and +5 Dexterity for one round.
And the same probably applies to any AS buff. They really need to implement Action Points. W/o APs the TB mode is too crude and will never be a good approximation of the original mechanics.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
The combat system is better than DOS:2.

#TotallyNotModInAlpha
- Knockdown is useless, except for the accuracy bonus. The enemy character gets up when his turn comes and still performs two actions.
- The monk ability Swift Strikes is useless. You get +15% Action speed, which means nothing in TReplyB mode, and +5 Dexterity for one round.

Is that the best criticism you got? There are over 800 abilities in the game, and you criticize 2.

For the record, knockdown works the way its intended by adding initiative to the target.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
And the same probably applies to any AS buff. They really need to implement Action Points. W/o APs the TB mode is too crude and will never be a good approximation of the original mechanics.
They could alternatively resolve the problem by removing discreet rounds as well. Let people have as many turns as their Dexterity dictates.

2house2fly

Magister

#TotallyNotModInAlpha
- The monk ability Swift Strikes is useless. You get +15% Action speed, which means nothing in TB mode, and +5 Dexterity for one round.
what makes this alpha as opposed to beta?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Anyone that thinks Initiative is useless just doesn't understand how to utilize it effectively in their builds.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
He's wrong anyways. Knockdown and Swiftless Strikes are decent abilities in turn based, and they scale with power level.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Some more Osbidian prowess in UI, showcasing how utterly useless the tooltips are

wDVYP3L.png

sOAFXhY.png

2house2fly

Magister
Only ~5 mods on nexus are updated and one of them is Aloth romance.
the 4.1 patch doesn't really break anything so not much needs updating. Turn-based mode might affect a lot but it's not 100% clear how yet. Someone said my level cap raise makes tb revert to rtwp but I started a game myself with that mod installed and nothing seemed different. My mod items all have a display bug which says they have a 1500% chance to cause Shaken on hit, but I'm not sure if that's caused by a mod conflict or some arcane issue caused by tb mode or something else entirely

jf8350143

Liturgist
The importance of Dex is decreased in the TB mode, which make the sub-classes that comes with a action speed penality in in RTwP much better, for example street fighter. Also heavy armor are also more appealing now.

However for casters the Dex is even more important now.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

#TotallyNotModInAlpha
what makes this alpha as opposed to beta?
It's so rough that I wouldn't call it beta. Though indeed, it won't crash the game.
Some more Osbidian prowess in UI, showcasing how utterly useless the tooltips are

wDVYP3L.png

sOAFXhY.png
Speculation: when the youtubers start playing TB, Obsidian are about to fuck themselves again. Because for these years they never learned to release things when they are actually useable, not when they are good enough to not crash. I don't know if this is due to Feargus cutting corners with everything, or some other factors, but that's how it is.

They could have announced TB, demoed it, and kept refining it. But Feargus would not spend money on QA. "Two devs in their spare time" is all they've got on TB. Well, Feargus can fuck himself as far as I am concerned. I won't be his QA for free and suffer annoying half-baked TB stystem, just because.

There are enough safav hamons in the world to do this for me and for Feargus. I'm done playing shit games. And btw, I was actually an optimist about TB mode.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Did you get the memo?
Game of the Year
1st - Pathfinder: Kingmaker
2nd - Kingdom Come: Deliverance
3rd - ATOM RPG

While no. 1 is worthy and no. 3 I haven't played, but from what I've read seems incline enough, are you kidding me about no. 2? It may look nice, it may be atmospheric and have a good story ... But isn't it the epithome of popamole combat? To compare it with actual good crpgs, like Deadfire seems wrong.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
If you want a good low level pet, take a bear with the resilient companion passive. They will make better tanks than a custom party member early on.

Nope. The best tanking pet is boar and the rest are not even close. Boars have highest base HP, highest HP growth per level, 2nd highest deflection, fortitude and will and they heal themselves in combat. Other pets are not even worth bothering with, all they do is die and debuff your ranger.
With PotD penetration scaling, I'd argue the bears armor bonus is much better.

Bear is even better if you want to spam blunderbuss Powder Burns with your ranger.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
I'd say that by itself ranger is sort of lackluster but Ranger/Rogue can spam Wounding Shot and Crippling Strike. Both are excellent full attack abilities that cost 1 resource point to use.

Wounding shot is kinda lackluster compared with any rogue abilities. Also it's apparently bugged (unless they fixed it recently). Also in case of aoe fire it works on primary target only. Generally it's poor on a rogue / ranger.

A good use for animal companions on some multiclasses/party compositions is takedown combo: once you land it, next attack/ability will do +100% damage. Can be devastating combined with some strong single damage spells for example.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
essence bow spawns should be harmless critters?
cos its spawning slimes, dargul and similar shit and im hating it so far
it's random. Meant to be random whether or not they're hostile as well, but in my experience they're always hostile. Best to upgrade to soul dippomacy asap

Yes. Unless you want to exploit those potentially low Will hostiles for some combo, for example use Wall of Draining effect extension.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom