Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

One key point I forgot to mention regarding why creators often have a hard in saying no to companies who want them to show their games in a positive light: Youtube is becoming increasingly more competitive. Beyond simple numbers, click bait, political drama and channels who get to games first dominate the majority of views on Youtube. So naturally, creators need to have relationships with game publishing outlets so that they also can cover the game as soon as possible by receiving access to the game as soon as everyone else. This is a huge problem on Youtube that I deal with every time (as well as a lot of other outspoken Youtubers). So, people do want to establish good and recurring relationships with PR companies and game makers so that they can remain competitive on this platform, *which is often tied to their own livelihood. *

Beware my guys: corruption is everywhere, and it is nowhere. Be on your guards.

Let me save you 10 minutes.

He was invited to a PR event, all expenses paid, wined and dined and after the event the PR contact pressured him to create a more positive video then what he came up with. He declined and they tried to incentivize him by offering him perks for working with them.

No actual bribes. Just typical influencer stuff. The same PR mill that has been going on since the 80s.

The whole "all expenses covered wine and dine in an expensive hotel" thing is indirect bribery.

There are several stories about this. Here's one: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2010/11/call-of-duty-black-ops-review-event-press-gifts-detailed/

Review events are basically free luxury vacations where you have the option to play the game for a limited amount of time in a controlled environment. The whole thing is extremely sketchy.

Hell, I recall Ubisoft handing out free Nexus 7 tablets at a Watch Dogs press event, which they later apologized for, but come on. The intent was pretty clear.

You may call it normal (sadly it is) but that doesn't really make it any better. And while I generally dislike Downward Thrust's content, it is something that definitely affects A LOT of youtubers nowadays, as companies realized that social media people are even better influencers than game journalists.

Perkel

Arcane
As for bribes etc in industry. about 7-8 years back i was doing volontary work for small gaming site (now defunct) which was started by my friend and his other friend. Writing reviews etc.

So we asked for review coppies various publishers. Sony didn't have issue, their NDA didn't contain really anything immoral. Cenega didn't have problems, CDPR also didn't.

Then we got answer from EA poland. Basically if we want their review coppies we have to promise we would at minimum score their games 7 out of 10.

We talked later privately with some dudes who run their own gaming sites in poland and it was basically same thing (though few said that Sony wasn't so good for them)

Conclusion i wouldn't trust any review that gets their copies from publishers. Especially small sites that can't afford buying stuff on their own constantly.

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
As for bribes etc in industry. about 7-8 years back i was doing volontary work for small gaming site (now defunct) which was started by my friend and his other friend. Writing reviews etc.

So we asked for review coppies various publishers. Sony didn't have issue, their NDA didn't contain really anything immoral. Cenega didn't have problems, CDPR also didn't.

Then we got answer from EA poland. Basically if we want their review coppies we have to promise we would at minimum score their games 7 out of 10.

We talked later privately with some dudes who run their own gaming sites in poland and it was basically same thing (though few said that Sony wasn't so good for them)

Conclusion i would trust any review that gets their copies from publishers. Especially small sites that can't afford buying stuff on their own constantly.

Which is why the review system used by Steam is good, and that Epic store scam will only hurt games. Not that anything releasing on Epic is worth having, anyway.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah with the 2 hour refund policy on steam, I see no reason not to try stuff.

Viata

Arcane
Until Valve says you can't refund anymore, that is.
9dbhJQD.jpg

Viata

Arcane
I think it's related to how many games you have refunded in a short time frame. If it's 10 games in a single week instead of 10 games in a month, that is enough for them to send that, I guess.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Conclusion i wouldn't trust any review that gets their copies from publishers. Especially small sites that can't afford buying stuff on their own constantly.

I have a similar story to share, except the "If you want this, you need to do this"-part came from the head honcho running the site, the one who had all the contacts with distributors and publishers.

This was way back in 2000-2001 and (fortunately) no trace of the gaming site can be found anymore.

Machocruz

Arcane
Games media is inherently compromised, never been able to trust reviews really. Unlike things that happen on the street, all the news in the gaming industry is in the hands of the game companies. Without access to this news, or getting last place access to news (which might as well be the same thing because people will go to who gets hit first), you don't get hits, and without hits you don't get dolla dolla bills ya'll

thread on steam forum for Dragon Ball fighter Z

https://steamcommunity.com/app/678950/discussions/0/1739980540128458500/

SEASON 2 APRIL FU-CKING FOOL'S

Wow... just ... wow...

so fu-cking lazy, 6 slots only, free cash grab without any effort at all, so pathetic lack of taste and poor choice!!
3 slots from 6 only are completely fu-cking ruined, its some kind of a fu-cking joke, visitor from south park, 2nd broly and a fu-cking videl?? ARE YOU FU-CKING SERIOUS?! WASTING SUCH PRECIOUS RIDICULOUSLY TINY AMMOUNT OF SLOTS FOR SUCH A CHEAP TRASH?! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT ARE 2 REMAINING CHARACTERS?!
FU-CKING ARALE-CHAN?? AND SATAN? OR MAYBE PILAF ASSISTED BY SHU AND MAI? NOO?! THAN HOW ABOUT A FU-CKING BIO BROLY AND URANAI BABA ARE PERFECT CHOICE AND ALSO GREAT COUPLE LIKE VISITOR AND VIDEL TO JOIN A FU-CKING FIGHT!!!

OR NO, I KNOW!! THE LAST 2 CHAR SLOTS SHOULD BE TAKEN BY MONAKA OR OOLONG AND A FU-CKING GREGORY OR BUBBLES!!!!!!!!

SUCH A WASTE OF SLOTS FOR SUCH A PRECIOUS GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such miserable horrendous future of a game and this so called season 2, such a waste of a precious game, any real dragon ball character that deserve a place on such a poor roster?

Oh, i forgot, Gogetta, well... acceptable... good, very good... thats 1 character... fu-cking 1 out of 4 and i can easily bet out of 6, with such pathetic and lazy choice and lack of taste i can already tell that last 2 chars will be tremendous abomination, please welcome BIO BROLY CLAYFACE PIECE OF SH-IT and MAKE SOME NOISE FOR BUBBLES, this is my personal choice, i voted for Monaka but damn, this is too hardcore.... And what about Satan and Arale-chan from Dr Slump??

You mess with the core lore Arc System...

FU-CKING JOKE!!!!! APRIL FOOL'S FU-CKING JOKE

UNINSTALL

FU-CK THIS GAME, IM OUT AND ALSO, NEVER AGAIN SINGLE PENNY FOR ARC SYSTEM AND NAMCO

SUCH A WASTE !!!!!!!!!! SO FU-CKING LOW PATHETIC SEASON 2, I LOST ENTIRE HYPE FOR A GAME, PASSION FOR DRAGON BALL OVERALL, AND IM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED, FU-CK DBFZ, SUCH AN AMAZING GAME IT WAS...

Visitor and Videl and a broly... no... it just didnt happened ... it must be april fool's day for fu-ck sake

8CA7461FD644E0030D9E5711960899004B96BB91

B3C9B6274123F2F5B1BA25DE99513A9BBD3C8CCF

FflohQi.gif

Perkel

Arcane
i watched trailer and videl looks like the most fun. Though i don't play dbfz

Murk

Arcane
Only loosely relevant to codex now, but Rex lives on:

edit: the coked addled slurring host goes on a dumb rant until about 13 mins, where we get some old classic rex screenies. Nothing new ofc

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom