Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Solid Snail

Learned
Playing the game with the original soundtrack is so much better in my opinion.
Anyway, found two things I just hate:
the orphanage was a 2 minutes long stealth linear section, when you go here with Claire you just need to pass a room, trigger a cutscene and it's done. Also the moment you go out the parking...the whole city is lifeless. And not because of zombies, because all streets (to be honest, the only street since it's a corridor) are totally empty if not for 3 dogs. I mean, what the fuck is this? They could put 3-4 zombies here considering the street and the basket camp are large enough no avoid them, but there's literally nothing here. In the original you had the feeling of a city full of zombies, here it feels a ghost town.

Ebonsword

Arcane
I wish there was an extra difficulty setting. Hardcore feels a little too, well, hardcore- at least for a first playthrough I mean. But autosave just sounds so fucking wrong in this type of Resident Evil, so I stubbornly refuse to lower the difficulty. I'd love for there to be some kind of middle ground difficulty between "standard" and "hardcore".

Why not just force yourself to reload from your last typewriter save when you die? That's what I've been doing and it feels like a good compromise.

Generic-Giant-Spider

So in the B scenarios it seems like each character gets a "better" handgun. The ammo drops around the place is tailored for the new handgun but the old handgun upgrades don't apply to it. You also can't make the new handgun's ammo by mixing gunpowder, you'll only make the old one instead. So as a heads-up, you may never want to mix two generic gunpowders together or you'll pretty much waste them, always combine with the high grade.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
YES!! Absolute PERFECTION:
c0gcjlcbnrc21.png

NO!!! LA GOBLINA:
oyopUm4.png

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You'll call me crazy but I always preferred Claire over Ada.
I preferred her in the previous games as well, but in this new game, she is so derpy.

Playing the game with the original soundtrack is so much better in my opinion.
I haven't played the game yet, but I've watched some gameplay both with the new music, and the original. And the old gives the game much more atmosphere. In new games developers have the habit of only playing ambient sounds and slow, silent music. The old one is much creepier.
This short clip is the perfect example for that. In the new one there is barely any music playing in the save room, which evokes no emotion. Compared to that, when you walk into a save room with the old music, you can hear that save music and feel a relief, you are at a safe space.

watch

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw, that list of "features" by Swigen is the gayest shit I ever seen. please tell me he was being sarcastic

Generic-Giant-Spider

I haven't played the game yet, but I've watched some gameplay both with the new music, and the original. And the old gives the game much more atmosphere. In new games developers have the habit of only playing ambient sounds and slow, silent music. The old one is much creepier.

This is true. I don't know why they went the route they did, horror and music work off one another very well as films have proven. Having some dynamic music fluctuate between tense and suspenseful when exploring a new section, to dreadful when things seem too calm, to heart racing when shit begins popping would have been way better. Not to mention RE2's OST was really good to begin with, so most of the homework was already done for you.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

This is true. I don't know why they went the route they did, horror and music work off one another very well as films have proven. Having some dynamic music fluctuate between tense and suspenseful when exploring a new section, to dreadful when things seem too calm, to heart racing when shit begins popping would have been way better. Not to mention RE2's OST was really good to begin with, so most of the homework was already done for you.

Yep, I did one playthrough with the new music and then switched to classic.

I wish they had copied the RE Remake style. Take the original pieces and expand them.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

when the music and ambience stopped playing in REmake you knew you were in for some shit

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
So in the B scenarios it seems like each character gets a "better" handgun. The ammo drops around the place is tailored for the new handgun but the old handgun upgrades don't apply to it. You also can't make the new handgun's ammo by mixing gunpowder, you'll only make the old one instead. So as a heads-up, you may never want to mix two generic gunpowders together or you'll pretty much waste them, always combine with the high grade.
'Better' is a strong way of putting it. Claire's SSA is kinda useful against single zombies, but their tankiness still applies and they'll occasionally still take just as many rounds to kill as if you'd shot them with the regular pistol, but whereas the generic pistols can carry at least eight shots and upgrades more than triple that, the SSA will only ever fire six, and you've gotta empty each spent shell manually and reload each cylinder manually. It's agonizingly slow reload means it's also pretty much useless if you're facing more than one zombie. If anything I was pretty annoyed to learn that its ammo pickups replaced all the generic pistole ones, because Claire gets a pistol later that makes her able to shoot while moving far more accurately, which was way more useful an ability, in my view.

Wunderbar

Arcane
In scenario B you get both 9mm rounds (by mixing gunpowder) and 45cal rounds (by exploring).

This way you can use both pistols: Leon have an incentive to use upgraded Mathilda for crowd control, while Claire can use her SLS revolver during bossfights (thanks to powerful alternative ammo).

In case of Leon you'd better mix meh gunpowder with meh gunpowder for 9mm rounds, high-grade gunpowder with high-grade gunpowder for magnum ammo, and ignore crafting shotgun shells.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Red9 is better, there is no competition.
Better damage per shot, sexy reloading, and 22 rounds capacity is more than enough.

Not to mention that Red9 is an antique Mauser, while Blacktail is some shitty plastic glock.

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

It's funny because he shat all over the demo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom