Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: Van Buren (Spoilers!)

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hey mutants!

[...]

2. My own RPG
After years of learning and experimenting, I finally finished game systems for my own RPG and the content of first episode.
The game is a 3D Scifi RPG I will release on Patreon first and later on Steam.
I plan on releasing an episode each month or every two months.
I'm currently working on marketing materials and will open a topic in Codex Workshop to share the news with all.

I hope I'll earn a living from that, quit my job, and resurrect VB development from the dead!

So, what genre is it? Fantasy, Sci-Fi. Post-apocalypse?

Ninjerk

Arcane
Hey mutants!

[...]

2. My own RPG
After years of learning and experimenting, I finally finished game systems for my own RPG and the content of first episode.
I'm currently working on marketing materials and will open a topic in Codex Workshop to share the news with all.

I hope I'll earn a living from that, quit my job, and resurrect VB development from the dead!

So, what genre is it? Fantasy, Sci-Fi. Post-apocalypse?

Black Angel

Arcane
Will you be okay, though? Quitting your job so that you can earn a living from making games. I'm currently reading this thread and I'm under an impression that quitting your job just so you can focus on earning a living through solely developing games isn't exactly a good idea, especially in the Current Year™ climate.

hexer

Black Angel thanks bro, I appreciate your concern.
Yes, making a successful game is hard but not impossible.
I just have to be persistent and constantly learn.

Maybe it will find some audience because I'm trying to address some perceived faults (IMO) modern RPGs make.
For example, let's try and bring back that sense of wonder .. "what's around the next corner?".
Too many RPGs we get seem like a bunch of cliches glued together under a new IP brand.

Of course, there are other faults the game addresses, but more on those when I announce it :cool:

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Will you be okay, though? Quitting your job so that you can earn a living from making games. I'm currently reading this thread and I'm under an impression that quitting your job just so you can focus on earning a living through solely developing games isn't exactly a good idea, especially in the Current Year™ climate.

Quitting job to make games is a great idea - if you abandon the "making games" part, and instead find an even higher-paying job.

naossano

Cipher
A bit sad about VB halt. This must be the release i am waiting for the most (and maybe the longest if we take the original van buren into account). I hope it is just an halt and that we will be able to try it someday.

Good luck for your RPG. Maybe the episodic format is some formulas to try out, to avoir spreading out too much.

hexer

I haven't seen any real progress being made ever since I left as a project lead in 2014.
Honestly saying, it seems it will stay that way unless I start moving things again.
I'm not promising anything but I've been looking lately into alternative game engines for the project.
We have some huge problems with FOnline engine and I doubt we can continue development with it, once the core team decides to resume work.

At this time, you're better getting your classic Fallout fix from games such as Underrail and ATOM RPG.

Thanks for your interest bro, it breaks my heart to see people are still waiting for this game.

naossano

Cipher
Well, i am not holding my breath either. But i am trying to gather intel about Fallout 1-2\FOnline adventure mods, on some sort of guide, and i am try to ascert if the not released projects are still in developpement. It would be lying to say it is 100% dead if someone is still trying to hold the torch.

Yet, it does seem that very unlikely that the project will ever be released considering the current situation. There are news about the project still being a thing, but nothing about what has been worked on, not official website, nor activity on the hosted section of the codex, and not much communication outside FaceBook. They would be more likely to get help if people were aware that the project still exist and need help. Also, it seems that the whole concept of Van Buren doesn't seem to carry a lot of luck. In 15 years, nobody managed to make it, including Black Isle, and there were many attempts in many engines, and many of them were promising.

But, as mentioned several times before, i am under the impression that so much of the work was already done, maybe more than 50%. It would be sad to have all of this go to waste. Maybe we overerestimated what was already done.

Last edited:

Juan Cruz

Novice
Hey mutants!

Just wanted to drop in and tell you what's been happening lately.

1. Van Buren

I have no idea if there's been much progress on Van Buren ever since I left in 2014.
As it seems to me, the old team drifted away and dev progress halted.
I still have the latest source code (20+ GB) if anyone wants to play around with it.

Hi Hexer,
As others said, VB project may be dead, but I'm a pesky guy and I'd like to play your sweet maps for Fallout 2. Is there any chance you will change your mind and make them available for public? Like Fallout 2 RP did with new locations?

VB maps are sadly not compatible with Fallout 2 engine, only with a specific version of FOnline.

2. My own RPG

Can you share the 20gb of van buren you have pla :D

rusiano

Novice
Can you share the 20gb of van buren you have pla :D

Sure thing! It will take me some time to upload it online but I'll get back to you once it's ready

Can you upload all source files? Since FOnline engine is full open sourced and good fork such as FOClassic was created, now every Fallout developer can do much more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom