Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I can't take anyone seriously who recommends the trash that is Zero over 4, because muh camera angles.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, playing this game has really made me go into a Resident Evil fascination mood. Tell me, are any of the REs after RE4 any good if you're into survival horror? I dropped the series after RE4 because it was way too heavy on the action and RE5 didn't look like an RE game at all.

I also never played RE0.
If anything it got me into the mood of playing games that put you into into a multilevel complex with a lot of puzzles, backtracking, few handholding and a sense of small scale wonder where I'm in awe when a completely new scenery appears in front of my eyes after being stuck in a hellhole for 3-4 hours.

It's also fascinating that this violent video game franchise about zombie outbreak developed by Japanese which got censored in their own countryhome has so many iconic characters that just refuse to die and proceed to become various fan favorites, even non-fans like me got pulled in. It sucks more to know that Leon and Claire are great in this game then learned that they don't appear together in any subsequent game :/

What new RE styles are we talking? I prefer RE to be as old as possible since that is when the series was at its greatest.

I would say it's a mix of newer RE, RE1 and Alien Isolation. With better than usual for Capcom storytelling thrown in. It's not without flaws but I liked it way more than RE5 / 6 at least. Well, 6 was utter irredeemable trash so that goes without saying.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If anything it got me into the mood of playing games that put you into into a multilevel complex with a lot of puzzles, backtracking, few handholding and a sense of small scale wonder where I'm in awe when a completely new scenery appears in front of my eyes after being stuck in a hellhole for 3-4 hours.

Exactly, it's what I really liked about classic REs. It's being thrust into this place of mystery and slowly unlocking it all over time while at the same time avoiding a bunch of deadly threats. The survival-horror aspect that makes you feel fragile and lacking in power along with little things like limited inventory space and wondering if it's worth killing the enemies in an area if you're going to be repeatedly coming back to it or if it'll be a waste of precious ammo.

It sucks more to know that Leon and Claire are great in this game then learned that they don't appear together in any subsequent game :/

Their characters actually get worse from here too. Claire isn't as bad in Code Veronica, but the whole romance subplot with Steve was pretty retarded. Leon gets his whole personality erased and becomes the RE world's Dante from Devil May Cry in RE4. You know, cool guy who says sarcastic shit and does really awesome physical feats.

If Capcom made a statement and said, "We want to make REmake and REmake 2 the new canon and build off that. Everything else is a fever dream caused by an overdose of Umbrella pharmaceuticals and never happened and will never be acknowledged again" I'd be totally down with it. Just totally go Halloween 2018 on that shit and create a new timeline that spares us goofy Spanish bug cults, Wesker and Jill becoming Matrix characters, Chris punching boulders and RE6.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
RE4 Leon is great. The entire series has been utter schlock up to this point, which was hilariously amazing on its own, but with 4, they made the transition into self awareness and it worked out perfectly.

Leon gets super trash when he starts his broody emo schtick in RE6 and those dumb ass CGI movies nobody saw.

I also do like how REmake2 Leon really feels like a younger version of his RE4 persona. He spouts dumb one liners, but is still pretty inexperienced and naive.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Nothing in RE1-3 will ever match the fact that RE4 had a midget Napoleon who Skypes you throughout your Castlevania adventure and the big evil guy has a tentacle penis that he uses to kill scuffed Johnny Depp.

Swigen

Arbiter
My only problem with REmake 2 is the licker is invincible. It is for this reason that I must delete the game and focus on Puyo Puyo Tetris for the time being.

Xmantis

Novice
My only problem with REmake 2 is the licker is invincible. It is for this reason that I must delete the game and focus on Puyo Puyo Tetris for the time being.

They go down easy as Claire thanks to the flame grenade gun. Tbh on the whole I found Claire's story much easier than Leon's.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Nothing in RE1-3 will ever match the fact that RE4 had a midget Napoleon who Skypes you throughout your Castlevania adventure and the big evil guy has a tentacle penis that he uses to kill scuffed Johnny Depp.

I mean, I can just keep posting variations of the same cutscene and it's just as stupid as Salazar.

Swigen

Arbiter

They go down easy as Claire thanks to the flame grenade gun. Tbh on the whole I found Claire's story much easier than Leon's.

What I figured. Would they really not attack you if you were quiet in the original? I don’t remember sneaking by ‘em back in the day.

Generic-Giant-Spider

"Put the title card up after a very tense setpiece of the whole village attacking Leon. But only make it come up after Leon asks if they all left to go play bingo instead. It'll set the tone, trust."

10/10 GOTY IGN

Also this is the greatest RE1 line:

Last edited by a moderator:

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
The entire series has been utter schlock up to this point, which was hilariously amazing on its own, but with 4, they made the transition into self awareness and it worked out perfectly.
And that is why you should always ignore what a person that likes RE4 says.
RE4 fanboys are literally the cancer that killed the franchise.

Horrible creatures, avoid them were you can.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Like, do you want me to continue posting clips from RE1 or even Remake1 for that matter?

Literally the only difference between old RE stupid and RE4 stupid is that one is involuntarily hilarious and one is 100% self aware. Surprisingly, both work in their own way.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I'm pretty sure RE1 always knew of its campy nature but it was off set by providing a genuinely great atmosphere and mood.

RE4 is scarier though. Have you ever had someone come up and speak Spanish to you? Terrifying experience.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I'm pretty sure RE1 always knew of its campy nature but it was off set by providing a genuinely great atmosphere and mood.

You're actually retarded if you believe some japanese nerds in 1996 thought they were making anything but a fucking cool american style horror game. The plot in RE1 is the most incoherent shit ever and it's because the devs were shit a writing, not because they tried to emulate campiness.

Generic-Giant-Spider

You're actually retarded if you believe some japanese nerds in 1996 thought they were making anything but a fucking cool american style horror game. The plot in RE1 is the most incoherent shit ever and it's because the devs were shit a writing, not because they tried to emulate campiness.

I'm pretty certain RE took a lot of inspiration from Romero zombie films which were full of B-grade camp. It's pretty BIRDBRAINED (that was me throwing shade to your gay avatar, EFF-WHY-EYE) to shit all over RE1's plot for being dumb but then hard pass on RE4 because suddenly it became "dumbfun." Fuck that, yo.

RE1 had a goofy ass plot but it at least kept things tethered to horror in just about every other way.

RE4 had super CIA government agent Leon come back to do battle with pitchfork wielding Spanish farmers and grandmas and then find himself in Dracula's Castle fighting an evil cult that will take over the world with exploding parasite heads and flails. Yes, flails.

dextermorgan

Arcane
I'm pretty sure RE1 always knew of its campy nature
Camp exists because devs aped shit from American movies and whatever other pop culture crap. They were genuinely oblivious to the schlock, they thought they were making serious horror
Several of the Resident Evil mansion's pre-rendered backdrops were inspired by The Overlook Hotel, the setting for the 1980 horror film, The Shining.[21] Mikami also cited the 1979 film Zombie as a negative inspiration for the game.[22] The game was initially conceived as a fully 3D first-person update of Sweet Home (influenced by the game's first-person battles), with action and shooting mechanics. A first-person prototype was produced, and initially featured a supernatural, psychological Japanese horror style similar to Sweet Home, before opting for an American zombie horror style influenced by George Romero films. During production, Mikami discovered Alone in the Dark (1992), which influenced him to adopt a cinematic fixed-view camera system.
I guess they knew enough to know that Zombie was schlock and Night of The Living Dead wasn't. Can you bird people stop now, please?

Wunderbar

Arcane
Man, playing this game has really made me go into a Resident Evil fascination mood. Tell me, are any of the REs after RE4 any good if you're into survival horror?
re revelations and re revelations 2.

RERev1 is pretty short and have its shitty episodes, but the main part where you play as Jill and explore the huge ship are pretty good. Thematic keys (helm key, anchor key, trident key, etc), relatively open-ended map design, some options areas with items, etc. Enemies are some cthulhuesque slimey mutants. Unfortunately, game was originally developed for 3DS, and it shows - there is no inventory or item management (you're always carrying three weapons, four types of grenades, a few herbs and story items), puzzles are piss easy and the visuals look pretty bad even.

RERev2 is a pure fanservice: Claire is stranded on some remote island filled with mutants, and the second playable character is Barry (who cracks dad jokes and quotes himself from original RE1). This game is much more linear than RERev1, but have some old school mechanics: inventory management, combining items, etc. Also, i think it is the only RE game with stealth elements - you can sneak up on enemies and then stab them in the back.

Btw, both games feature the new optional Raid mode, which is basically looter-shooter rpg, complete with levelling, perks and upgradeable weapons.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
RE2Remake's Leon character model swapped with RE7's Chris Redfield model (from Not A Hero DLC):

http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/9989/re7-chris-over-leon-noir

PFfK8Hh.jpg

The only thing I find interesting here is that Capcom even made a model for Chris, as RE7 was a fully first-person view game.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot that RE7 shows Chris during cutscenes. Oops. Well, nothing interesting to see here then.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Man, playing this game has really made me go into a Resident Evil fascination mood. Tell me, are any of the REs after RE4 any good if you're into survival horror?
re revelations and re revelations 2.

RERev1 is pretty short and have its shitty episodes, but the main part where you play as Jill and explore the huge ship are pretty good. Thematic keys (helm key, anchor key, trident key, etc), relatively open-ended map design, some options areas with items, etc. Enemies are some cthulhuesque slimey mutants. Unfortunately, game was originally developed for 3DS, and it shows - there is no inventory or item management (you're always carrying three weapons, four types of grenades, a few herbs and story items), puzzles are piss easy and the visuals look pretty bad even.

RERev2 is a pure fanservice: Claire is stranded on some remote island filled with mutants, and the second playable character is Barry (who cracks dad jokes and quotes himself from original RE1). This game is much more linear than RERev1, but have some old school mechanics: inventory management, combining items, etc. Also, i think it is the only RE game with stealth elements - you can sneak up on enemies and then stab them in the back.

Here's another vote for Revelations #1. It's probably the post-RE4 game that's most like the originals (prior to REmake 2, of course).

I didn't really like Revelations #2 because of the constant character switching. It's still better than RE4 and RE5, though. (And probably RE6, although I did get a certain amount of enjoyment out of Leon's scenario.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom