Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

BG2's map is a huge let down

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
I think I just found the biggest disappointment in BG2 compared to BG1, the world map.

It's feels completely disconnected and doesn't offer any freedom for exploration. I really miss BG1 where you could reach points of interest and just wander off in whichever direction you want and be able to stumble on some cool side content.

The way BG2 is handles exploration is comparable to quest markers in modern games.

All in all, it's still a legendary cRPG but it really lacks freedom of exploration.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I really miss BG1 where you could reach points of interest and just wander off in whichever direction you want and be able to stumble on some cool side content.
I played BG1 after BG2 and I couldn't understand how BG1 map worked. I couldn't open new locations. Stuck, I kept running through them again and again, hoping to stumble onto something new for days.

axx

Savant
I really miss BG1 where you could reach points of interest and just wander off in whichever direction you want and be able to stumble on some cool side content.
I played BG1 after BG2 and I couldn't understand how BG1 map worked. I couldn't open new locations. Stuck, I kept running through them again and again, hoping to stumble onto something new for days.

You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This exploration into the themes of exploration explores less than previous explorations. Not a bad exploration in itself, but no good for the Explorer's Guild of Exploratory Exploration. Explore more within yourself. Only then, can you begin to explore the conundrum that is every explorer's ultimate question; "What is an exploration?"

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I think I just found the biggest disappointment in BG2 compared to BG1, the world map.

It's feels completely disconnected and doesn't offer any freedom for exploration. I really miss BG1 where you could reach points of interest and just wander off in whichever direction you want and be able to stumble on some cool side content.

The way BG2 is handles exploration is comparable to quest markers in modern games.

All in all, it's still a legendary cRPG but it really lacks freedom of exploration.
:backawayslowly:

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
Also Im still in chapter 2 but so far side quests seem to lack evil options to lose reputation.

How do you even lose rep points in BG2 without killing innocents?

Yosharian

Arcane
Yes but it's not trying to be an open-world exploration game, is it? I don't think that anything is lost in the transition BG2 makes from BG1's exploration style, really. You miss traipsing through boring empty maps to get where you actually want to be?

laclongquan

Arcane
Everytime you change into Slayer form, -2 rep~

As for the lack of map interlinked with map the likes of BG1 (which I suspect is what he complained about), I will point out that BG2 world is much bigger than BG1. Do it that way would make worldsize seem a little too small~

Also Im still in chapter 2 but so far side quests seem to lack evil options to lose reputation.

How do you even lose rep points in BG2 without killing innocents?

Collect the noblewoman's ransom. Steal until you fail. Suppress the Hendrak's slave revolt. Poison the druid grove. Tell Lady D'Arnise to get fucked. Taunt Nalia about her dead father. Make the Human Skin armor. Give Aladon's eggs to the lesser demon lord. Allow the slavers to pass by with their captives. Kill Neeber. Provoke and kill Anath in her cave. Side with Mae'Var. Side with Bhodi. Put Drizz't and pals in their place. Put Elminster in his place. Scare the children who watched their parents die. Sabotage Saradush. Side against the priest of Waukeen in Amketheran. Betray Marlowe. Betray Gerran. Betray the Svirfneblin. Betray Valyagar. Betray the Dryads. Use the illithium for your own purposes. Keep Viconia in your party.

There are more, but I can't remember the game as well as I used to. Time for another run I suppose. Theft is the best way outside of quests to lower your reputation.

JRIz

Augur
Teleportation-based quest progression as in AoD or Blackguards is much better than running around on mostly empty isometric maps. First, the activity itself is boring, and second, other bad design decision are often implied by this. The intention to create large 'realistic' maps generally leads developers to fill them will trash loot you then have to constantly sift through (see every open world game ever, including BG). Then, in order to keep the game's economy somewhat intact, the inventory system is completely butchered to allow for a limited but still completely unrealistically large carrying capacity, i.e., 200kg or something when translated to the real world. This means the inventory must be list-based, as opposed to a grid-based one design to hold items that are actually relevant, which is decline. Gothic's inventory is also OK since it doesn't get in your way.

Having a certain level of abstraction in an RPG does no damage at all. I fundamentally despise the gameplay loop of modern open world games such as Fallout 3 (F:NV too) and the likes which degenerates them mostly to hiking and logistics simulators. This is made even worse by the introduction of companions whose fucking inventory you then have to be micro-manage in addition. It is simply infuriating. In F:NV, you have to walk across the whole empty airport several times as part of the Boomers quests, only to kill some ants and find some trash loot.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Teleportation-based quest progression as in AoD or Blackguards is much better than running around on mostly empty isometric maps. First, the activity itself is boring, and second, other bad design decision are often implied by this.

What games are you referring to that had "mostly empty" isometric maps?

Please tell me you're not going to claim the Infinity Engine games.

Prime Junta

bethestard.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom