Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Epic store doesn't gain much from this the perception of the Metro games was always "it's good but nothing special". I enjoyed the games but they aren't classics or anything.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Epic store doesn't gain much from this the perception of the Metro games was always "it's good but nothing special". I enjoyed the games but they aren't classics or anything.
Metro games were pretty special anomalies in their time lines. They are the only good shooters in their decade with really good graphics that still hold on today and didn't needed mega rig.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Congrats for supporting anti-consumer practices

I suppose supporting Steam greedy, lazy, expensive monopoly is pro-consumer.

Loads of confused, stockholm-syndromed ppl ITT but this one takes the
participationtrophy.png

Divinity: Original Sin
The dick move in this case is the fact that the game was already available for pre-order on steam. In the case of the division and the new call of duty, they were never on steam (AFAIK) and were exclusives from the get go. And how will it be when they release expansion/DLC and someone bought the game standard edition on steam? will people be able to buy the add-ons on steam later?

Is this exclusivity thing timed? and later it will be released on steam? I don't see any advantages for costumers in this exclusivity deals.

I myself have steam, gog galaxy, origin, uplay, and epic on my PC, and it doesn't bother me to have all these clients, but I don't like to have games from the same franchise spread around different clients.

Anyway, the only reason I installed Epic launcher is because of the free games they offer monthly. I do not intend to buy anything there for now, because of regional pricing. I hope they improve this.

As for exodus, I'll only buy it on discount, sales... and prefereably on steam, which is where I have the previous entries.

DeepOcean

Arcane

participationtrophy.png
And not having basic functionality like user reviews and taking a game that was on pre order on steam are really good pro consumer moves...

The major problem is that Epic is "competing" by only adding inconvenience, I didn't see any pro consumer moves from them so far.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
The dick move in this case is the fact that the game was already available for pre-order on steam. In the case of the division and the new call of duty, they were never on steam (AFAIK) and were exclusives from the get go. And how will it be when they release expansion/DLC and someone bought the game standard edition on steam? will people be able to buy the add-ons on steam later?

Is this exclusivity thing timed? and later it will be released on steam? I don't see any advantages for costumers in this exclusivity deals.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/412020/announcements/detail/1691566844144954098

Metro Exodus Epic Store Announcement
28 JAN @ 7:59PM - DEEP SILVER

Epic Games and Deep Silver today announced a partnership that will see the digitally-distributed PC version of the highly anticipated Metro Exodus release on February 15th 2019 solely through the Epic Games store.

The ability to purchase / pre-order from Steam will soon be removed

However, any customer with an outstanding pre-order for Metro Exodus on PC through Steam will receive their game as expected.

For more information, please view our FAQ below :

I already pre-ordered Metro Exodus on Steam. What happens to my order?
Your pre-order on Steam will be honored, and you will be able to download and play Metro Exodus on release day (15th February 2019).

If I pre-ordered the Gold Edition on Steam, will I still get my future Expansion Pass on Steam?
Yes, your Expansion Pack content will become available for download via Steam, when released.

Will I still get my pre-order bonuses - the Digital Artbook and Official Soundtrack on Steam?
Yes, your pre-order bonuses will be honored and delivered by Steam.

I ordered the Standard Edition - will I be able to purchase the Expansion Pass in the future on Steam?
Yes, if you own the Standard Edition on Steam, you will be able to purchase the Expansion Pass or standalone DLC on Steam when it releases in the future.

Does the Epic Store have any exclusive or timed exclusive DLC?
No. All future DLC for Metro Exodus will be released simultaneously on all platforms.

Are there any differences in content between the version on the Epic Games store and the version on Steam?
No, they have the same pre-order bonuses and in-game content. All future title updates, patches, and free and premium DLC will be released simultaneously across both versions.

Will Metro Exodus ever return to Steam?
Yes - Metro Exodus will return to Steam and on other store fronts after 14th February 2020.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And not having basic functionality like user reviews and taking a game that was on pre order on steam are really good pro consumer moves...

The major problem is that Epic is "competing" by only adding inconvenience, I didn't see any pro consumer moves from them so far.

There's nothing pro-consumer about the retarded reviews. Anyone who takes ANY review seriously is a tool (except Roxor's reviews ofc). You want a review, watch a let's play.

And sure, yanking Metro from Steam at the last moment is a dick move, got no problem admitting that.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is ton of great reviews on Steam. And it's not like you go after one review either, you get a sample. I usually look at the most upvoted negative rated ones and if there is any issues with the game it clearly comes through.

ortucis

Prophet

participationtrophy.png

I agree, 10/10.

:troll:

Sentinel

Arcane
There's nothing pro-consumer about the retarded reviews.
Sure there is. The reviews are useless for determining a game's quality but they're extremely useful for evaluating the technical aspects of a game's PC version. If a game has bad reviews either the PC version is a fucking mess or the devs did something fucking stupid recently to anger the fanbase.
That's incredibly useful information in both cases to anyone looking to buy the game.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Even if you don't care about reviews, no one is forcing you to read them and it's the easiest thing in the world to ignore them.

No advantage not having them except for awful developers.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
User reviews are necessary because of SJW media. Without user reviews you'd think shows like Dr. Who's current season and the ST: Discovery were good. The same applies to video games. Without user reviews you wouldn't know shit like Battlefield 5 and Life Is Strange are pozzed hateful propaganda.

Paul_cz

Arcane

participationtrophy.png
Gotta say I am really surprised by your extreme ignorance and stupidity when it comes to this topic. I thought you were not a moron, but on this thing you definitely are.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

participationtrophy.png
Honest question mate,why are you still wasting oxygen?
Maybe it is time for someone to dox you and report you to the chink police for watching black movies!

I always thought steam reviews were for shitposting and getting badges. Never read them.
And i always thought that you are shit,yet here you are,still wasting oxygen.

People that couldn't get any useful information from the retarded reviews are simply put,mentally deficient :roll:.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Yeah, that's a good point too: Developers on Steam can generate as many keys as they want of their game at no cost and directly sell them to consumers on their own behalf where they can take 100% of the profit (like Bohemia Interactive does, they sell Steam keys of their games on their own site) or sell them to sites like GreenManGaming. I don't think Epic Games Store even has a CD key generation feature and I don't think they will or would allow anyone doing that if they did.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I just read this post and was impressed how shitty epic is and how stupid people are:

I can't understand how people can defend EGS while:

They have terrible security (80 million accounts were exposed last week)
-They have terrible customer service (just google it)
-Games are more expensive on Epic due to regional pricing
-You can't play games offline
-Limited social features
-No screenshots
-No controller support
-They broke EU laws (and still do)
-Scummy tactics (you had to tick a box to opt out of emails etc)
-They are partially owned by Tencent (a company that sells user data to the Chinese government)
-No achievements
-No cloud saves
-No game forums (many people went to steam for subnautica support)
-Epic make you pay the transaction fee when purchasing games
-They are anti-consumer (They pay for exclusive rights to games to try and force you to use their store)
-They can refuse refunds even if you meet the criteria
-No reviews
-No Linux support

Sentinel

Arcane
I just read this post and was impressed how shitty epic is and how stupid people are:

I can't understand how people can defend EGS while:

They have terrible security (80 million accounts were exposed last week)
-They have terrible customer service (just google it)
-Games are more expensive on Epic due to regional pricing
-You can't play games offline
-Limited social features
-No screenshots
-No controller support
-They broke EU laws (and still do)
-Scummy tactics (you had to tick a box to opt out of emails etc)
-They are partially owned by Tencent (a company that sells user data to the Chinese government)
-No achievements
-No cloud saves
-No game forums (many people went to steam for subnautica support)
-Epic make you pay the transaction fee when purchasing games
-They are anti-consumer (They pay for exclusive rights to games to try and force you to use their store)
-They can refuse refunds even if you meet the criteria
-No reviews
-No Linux support
There's also this pic

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom