Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter System Shock 1 Remake by Nightdive Studios

Requiring the light on the door to be pressed and putting the light on the left side feels uncomfortable. Just from a kinesthetic, world-simulationist perspective. Most people are right handed, you want to have it consistently on the right. If I have to hit a specific part of the door to open it I feel like I'm touching it myself, I wouldn't want to cross over to the left side of the door with my hand 50% of the time.

I never got the sense that that part of doors was supposed to be a button in SS1. I figure it was just a "is this door working? Is there breathable atmosphere on the other side?" type indicator.

Father Foreskin

Learned
One part i would really like see redesigned is the cyberspace. It sucks both in the original and the ee. Its hard to control, the enemies look stupid and its generally faggy. The other thing gay about the original is that you are "hacker". Thats so fucking 90's shit. I dont want it to be modernized to internet-bully, leaker, shitposter or whatever evil people online are now. Just make it soldier or janitor or whatever.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
50853144_1370880003054083_2341326800652599296_o.jpg

"A sneak peak of what Daniel Grayshon has been building!"

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Is Unity a better engine than Unreal Engine 4?
Are apples better than oranges?
UE4 is preferred by studios who have a bit more experience, but by using UE4 you're also supporting Tencent and the Chinese government. You can do wonderful stuff with it but it is a bit bloated and usually doesn't run too good.
Unity is a lot easier for new devs. Unity has a bad reputation but it's primarily because of bad devs and the "Made with Unity" watermark on games made on the free version of Unity and shitty developers don't pay for it. There's good games made on Unity that run good, look good, play good and don't have any massive issues like The Forest, but for every 1 good game there's 10 shitty ones.
Note that game engines do not make games and bad devs can fuck up a good engine, while good devs can do magic with a bad one.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Unity is good.
That's why different devs squirt Unity games that heat up your GPU.
Because dust is everywhere and they're all noobs.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2411039

February Update
Posted by Nightdive Studios (Creator)

Hello backers! It’s Stephen from Nightdive with this month’s update.
First, I wanted to thank everyone for the overwhelmingly positive response to the final art video we posted last month! If you happened to miss it, you can see it here:

⠀⠀⠀⠀

The video was viewed 108k times and made its rounds on just about every major gaming website. I also wanted to address a few things:

Motion blur is on by default in Unreal - you will be able to disable it.

Props, lighting, and FX are still works in progress. We haven’t even started placing corpses, blood, and gore yet.

We’re still using unfiltered textures - the “pixely” style is there, however, it’s not demonstrated clearly in the video.

If you’ve been in the Alpha you know that the entire game has been blocked out and is essentially complete. We’re working on final art, the Medical level is not all that we’ve completed.

This video was put together hastily for the update and wasn’t intended to be picked up by the press, we will use a higher quality capture method with upcoming videos. We still love you FRAPS!

Let’s take a look at art!

Tom has wrapped up his work on the lounge and vegetation systems which will be very useful once we hit the Groves.

10de8393d38f61f75fd6cf6be920f53c_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀

Jonathan is finishing up his work on the Reactor tile set and has put together a scene to share.

e6a31fb411e5d93599e7dd8faa91d857_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀

68fe48af6f502a78efc8fa8fecd1ec00_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀

These floor tiles will replace the glowing purple radiation tiles in the original. Watch out for cracked glass and leaks…

94d2f5c3175703151149cd55a264b279_original.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⠀

This is the concept from Robb Waters.

Jonathan also worked with Robb on creating a portrait for one of our characters. We’ll be using the same process for those of you who backed us at the Citadel Crew Member tier. Robb will use your likeness to create a custom sculpt and portrait of your in-game persona.

4fd9b2b0898e38c2c6b3e6a2b9baa786_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀

Let’s take a look at more of Robb’s recent concepts.

9d05bc277dcbd4c29e53ff96d4a29b07_original.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⠀

The Executive Boardroom evokes the cyberpunk aesthetic by blending natural and artificial materials. Transporting wood to a space station orbiting Saturn is certainly ostentatious and a complete disregard for practicality - something we feel Tri-Optimum Executive embody.

37f265877f5f464385ed5c8ee210afca_original.jpg

3 fingers, neat.
⠀⠀⠀⠀

Daniel has been busy using the final art tilesets to build out the final levels. Here’s a sneak peek.

29eeee3c4693e2094cc02ad87f94ffb6_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀

Next, we have some UI updates!

We’ve begun exploring the menu system and how we want to invite the player into the experience. We feel like mimicking an immersive simulation would be appropriate.

e333c330770ecbd954f1c66b29db4144_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀

f446fbae55924dcf05598bb4dc3784e5_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀

ac86996efb6d204010602d906c189fdf_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀

We’re working on the mapping display and how it fits into the rest of the UI.

b690bdbef534531f0bf606a4d09fa3c9_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀

Finally we have some preliminary FX work to show off...

776eb27ed8418a14fcdedefd45d087e8_original.gif

“ZORCH”
⠀⠀⠀⠀

bd90ef3526e2f3f10ff608f1680b81fd_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀

That’s it for the Shock update, see you next time!

⠀⠀⠀⠀

Continued Communication:
Please join us on Discord!

We’re in there every day answering questions!

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
man these up close shots show how shitty the textures look
like it's on low settings or something

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2448658

GDC Update Part 1
Posted by Nightdive Studios (Creator)

Hello backers! It’s Stephen from Nightdive with part 1 of this months update!

We have been very busy getting ready for GDC 2019 and will have some screenshots and a video showcasing a near complete version of the Medical Level.

While we are at GDC we’re going to be hiding some stickers around the conference. If you find one, take a picture and tweet at us @nightdivestudio with the #remembercitadel to win a prize! (we will be posting hints on locations on our social media when the stickers go up!)

Remember, Remember Citadel?

6da0bd94a31f466816e8e668d5d54675_original.jpg

94e723ea8fdbf568552918f7b6e8fa16_original.png

This could be yours!

3298225385c31357a1be8081ed34ec59_original.jpg

⠀⠀⠀⠀

By request we’ve formatted this Tri-Optimum login screen for use on all your devices!

Available here!

e333c330770ecbd954f1c66b29db4144_original.png

⠀⠀⠀⠀

See you next week and don't forget to keep an eye on our social media:

Nightdive Twitter

System Shock Twitter

Nightdive Facebook

Nightdive Discord

Nightdive Instagram

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom