Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stronghold HD

Revenant

On November 1, 2012, Firefly studios released the HD patch for their medieval castle building/siege simulator Stronghold. The new version of the game supports high resolutions (the original game supported only 800x600 and 1024x768), thus making the game playable on modern systems. The patch can be downloaded here:

http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=534&Itemid=1

Also, there appears to be a GoG.com version of the already patched full game, which is available for download in... shady places. Cheers!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stronghold 1 and Stronghold Crusader were the only two worthwile games Firefly ever made.

Here's hoping they won't fuck up Crusader 2.
Oh, who am I kidding.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
No game ever gave me so much fun with designing, building and then destroying castles as Warlords 1 did all other later series of games including Caesars, Strongholds and TWs had this sieges are 5 minutes affairs and soldiers eat through stone walls like termites silliness and oversimplification in them. Would give my soul to warp for something allowing to replay legendery sieges when 50-200 garrisons men at arms have hold thousands strong armies for months.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
No game ever gave me so much fun with designing, building and then destroying castles as Warlords 1 did all other later series of games including Caesars, Strongholds and TWs had this sieges are 5 minutes affairs and soldiers eat through stone walls like termites silliness and oversimplification in them. Would give my soul to warp for something allowing to replay legendery sieges when 50-200 garrisons men at arms have hold thousands strong armies for months.
Hmmmm- I might have to check out "Warlords 1"- I picked up Stronghold HD on a whim and am enjoying it. I wish there was a longer "board" (i.e. I hate having different objectives and restarting each level- I would like to keep a castle and continue to improve it)...But its pretty fun.

Revenant

There is a "free build" game option if you want to design and perfect your own castle.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
There is a "free build" game option if you want to design and perfect your own castle.
Yes but unfortunately there arent any enemies in that mode (that I have seen...)- I am constructing a really cool castle on that mode 9which is a blast) but it would be really cool if there was a huge World with several enemies and everyone battling for control of the Board (like Civilization kind of)

-Also, is this the Warlords game you were talking about http://armorgames.com/play/1205/warlords ? Is it a browser game or something else, thanks.

Revenant

Aren't there huge one-shot scenarios that would be to your liking? I remember there being history-based castle scenarios in the game, maybe one of them would do?

Grimlorn

Arcane
Replayed Stronghold and tried Stronghold Crusaders a year ago. I like the campaign in Stronghold, it's well balanced. The AI still unfortunately sucks when it comes to skirmish maps on Stronghold Crusaders. I didn't play through the campaign because it was about 50 missions long, and after several it just became boring and too easy. Extreme is sort of challenging, but not really when you figure out the basic strategy on these maps.

Which is
Use your gold to purchase a bunch of mace men early on to rush the buildings that spawn infinite troops. Save powers for falling rocks ability because it can destroy those buildings in two hits. Occasionally use arrows power for enemy troops, kills most in 2 hits. Once the buildings that spawn infinite troops are gone it's smooth sailing from there. Gold power is also usually better than the powers that dump troops on the map.

Once I figured this out, I stopped building fortifications as just recruiting 20-30 crossbowmen and putting them in the basic keep you start with was enough to defend my town from invasion on most maps. Didn't need to build a castle wall with towers and gate.
Beat all 20 missions pretty easily.

Last edited:

CabbageHead

Novice
Good God, those videos reminded me of the innocent joy of childhood again. Too bad stronghold is such a simple game, I can't enjoy it anymore.

Too bad stronghold is such a simple game, I can't enjoy it anymore.

Sad, but true. I really wish Firefly was competent enough to tie in economic missions with military in a massively expanded map of England that featured all well known castle sites and cathedral cities of medieval England with accurate topography and fortifications. Take some features of CKII's building system and think of all the unique mechanics or scenarios that could be thought up based on the region around the given castle. Allow us to build what we know is there or even make improvements. I'd like to see campaigns running from 1065 to the end of the English Civil War.

CabbageHead

Novice
I hear similar ideas brought up all the time. Honestly, I think it is the logical evolution of the Stronghold games and ultimately what many people want. But I guess making mobile games and catering to the Chinese market is just more profitable.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I enjoy the economy aspects of Stronghold more than the combat but I will concede that the military campaign is better than the economic missions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom