Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How would you name the stats in your RPG?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
After pretty interesting dream i ended up thinking about this.
I ended up with this:
Arms=Strength
Legs=Dexterity/Agility
Body=Constitution/Endurance
Eyes=Perception
Brain=Intellect
Mouth=Personality
Spine=Will

Memories=Experience
Muscle Memory=Skills
Blood=Mana and HP

Of course i wouldn't go make some generic RPG with those name. I was thinking about a game similar to Planescape Torment,where death have little meaning in place with bodyhorrors and fucked up shit. I would center it around Memories and use them as the main currency. Also you would be able to change parts for better stats that will come with a price for your memory and soul. Also i would use blood for magic and shit.

So what are yours stat names and the setting you will put them in?

conan_edw

Arbiter
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
If the stats will have the same effect or almost the same effect as the stats that we already know then please save us the hassle

Deleted Member 16721

Physical Strength (STR)
Cleverness (INT)
Speed & Agility (SPD/AGI)
Manual Dexterity (DEX)
Luck (LUK)
Speechcraft (CHA)
Wisdom (WIS)
Toughness (CON)

Physical Health (HP)
Mental Health (sanity/weariness)
Magical Source (MP)

Skills (skills/abilities)
Positive Traits (perks)
Negative Traits (The Dark Eye style disadvantages)

Got bored and left

I would have one stat, named Awesome. It would determine how many awesome things happen when you press buttons. I can already see the glowing reviews praising my "deep, yet approachable" character system.

V_K

Arcane
I would have one stat, named Awesome. It would determine how many awesome things happen when you press buttons. I can already see the glowing reviews praising my "deep, yet approachable" character system.
That's too streamlined. Proper RPG should have at least two - Awesome stat and Dump stat.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There was an rpg once where strength was called 'burliness', other stats had similarly whacky names iirc. Anyone remember which one?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I'd have primary abilities which are:
Physique
Charisma
Dexterity
Intelligence
Wisdom

Those would have derived sub-abilities such as
Physical Fitness
Strength
Bodily Attractiveness

Oh, do you want to hear about the skills?

Swigen

Arbiter
P - Perception
U - Utility
B - Brawn
E - Enlightenment
S - Social

Most systems it’s the higher the number the better, but with P.U.B.E.S. I’d implement an algorithm where things get harrier the more said stats develop.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Seriously though it doesn't matter as long as the names are conventionally descriptive enough that the player gets the idea what each one affects.
As long you don't have multiple names that sound the same or something that sounds like gibberish you are fine. I don't think novel names for stats add anything to a game, since people are more concerned about what the stats do rather than what they are called.
Interestingly enough, I think Tim Cain came up with one of more confusing names. I tried out Wildstar when it came out and remember having difficulty deciphering what each attribute is supposed to do. Most of them seem pretty self-explanatory now, but what the fuck is "moxie" supposed to be?

F31PJni

LordofSyn

Scholar
After pretty interesting dream i ended up thinking about this.
I ended up with this:
Arms=Strength
Legs=Dexterity/Agility
Body=Constitution/Endurance
Eyes=Perception
Brain=Intellect
Mouth=Personality
Spine=Will

Memories=Experience
Muscle Memory=Skills
Blood=Mana and HP

Of course i wouldn't go make some generic RPG with those name. I was thinking about a game similar to Planescape Torment,where death have little meaning in place with bodyhorrors and fucked up shit. I would center it around Memories and use them as the main currency. Also you would be able to change parts for better stats that will come with a price for your memory and soul. Also i would use blood for magic and shit.

So what are yours stat names and the setting you will put them in?
Cronenberg would be pleased.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Negate (damage resistance)
Ingenuity (crafting / magic / conversation)
Grievous (strength / weapon types)
Grounding (types of armour you can use and spells)
Elan (HP / MP)
Ruse (stealth / conversation)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom