Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Xmantis

Novice
How does Mr X work specifically? In the older games there were scripted events when he showed up. But as I watched it in the new game, it almost seems like he is always on the level, hunting for the player. Can you defeat him temporarily or you just have to run away everytime?
Once he shows up he's always in the level hunting you, but there are still triggers that will force him to pop up, like when you complete the clock tower puzzle.

PrettyDeadman

A lot of what also made Nemesis work is that he straddles (yes I know that's a gay word to use) the line between urgency and overbearing. He's not overbearing to be more of an irritation and he's urgent enough that you can't just kite him around the Library while you move bookshelves. When he appears, everything in that room changes to just the Nemesis. Zombies and other monsters get obliterated if they get in his way and it's just you and that big motherfucker. With Mr. X, when he appears you'll have Mr. X on top of additional enemies all around that he becomes another obstacle to avoid. It's not just you and Mr. X, it's you, Mr. X, two lickers, and that zombie you forgot you shot the legs off of two hours earlier and left in a corner. In other words, Mr. X is a cheap shotting little bitch while Nemesis wants to 1v1 you all the time.
So you are telling mr. x should've been helping the player with zombies? I think it's too late for resi2, but maybe resi3 can be coop game where other player plays as nemesis and clears the levels for you so that you can just walk pass anything, just like in dark souls series. Old Mr.X can join player's game as a red phantom and get stopmed by a gankbrigade consisting of one twink host and 3 golden nemesis phantoms with rocketlaunchers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steezus

Savant
Patron
I understand what you mean but his lack of beatability is kinda what cripples him as something to genuinely be afraid of or intimidated by, at least in my view. As you pointed out, part of what made Nemesis so intimidating was the risk vs. reward factor of going against him: you could just try to avoid him and hope that he'll eventually go away or you'd avoid getting fucked too badly by him, or you could take him head-on, remove him temporarily as an immediate threat, and even get a health item out of it. With Mr. X it's just all risk, no reward: he's never gonna die, you're not gonna get anything out of beating him, and at worst he's gonna just force you to take the most roundabout routs to achieve your objectives, and he won't ever go away until you accomplish them. Not saying it was a bad concept, just that I feel it was implemented poorly in the game.

Do you understand what I mean? I literally said I wish he was more like Nemesis.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I understand what you mean but his lack of beatability is kinda what cripples him as something to genuinely be afraid of or intimidated by, at least in my view. As you pointed out, part of what made Nemesis so intimidating was the risk vs. reward factor of going against him: you could just try to avoid him and hope that he'll eventually go away or you'd avoid getting fucked too badly by him, or you could take him head-on, remove him temporarily as an immediate threat, and even get a health item out of it. With Mr. X it's just all risk, no reward: he's never gonna die, you're not gonna get anything out of beating him, and at worst he's gonna just force you to take the most roundabout routs to achieve your objectives, and he won't ever go away until you accomplish them. Not saying it was a bad concept, just that I feel it was implemented poorly in the game.

Do you understand what I mean? I literally said I wish he was more like Nemesis.
And you're saying you still found him great in spite of the differences, while I'm saying he doesn't really have enough going for him to make up for it to be an effective threat. At least that's what I gleamed from your initial response.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
And you're saying you still found him great in spite of the differences, while I'm saying he doesn't really have enough going for him to make up for it to be an effective threat. At least that's what I gleamed from your initial response.

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize I responded to you at first. I got you now.

Well, I guess that where we disagree.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Why does claire look so weird?
7ii3DJQ.jpg

Steezus

Savant
Patron
Idk, the RE7 engine is really hit or miss with faces. Half the time they look great like Ada and the other half you get Claire whenever she's emoting.

Razor

Arcane
If they pull of RE3 Remake then it will be interesting to see how they will implement the Nemesis. Using the Mr X tyrant as base for the AI is a obvious point but for one the Nemesis is much more agile then the pimp walking tyrant. Also Nemesis has a big rocket launcher and minigun. Could easily become a major pain in the ass if the Nemesis stalks around the city like X, so careful balancing required.

One things for sure: it needs to be a upgrade over X. RE lore generally is ham times 200% but according to it then the Nemesis brick shithouse is supposed to be a parasite-modified version of the Tyrants, and the Tyrants are already a rare anomaly with the T-virus. So whoever became the Nemesis is like a double winner of the genetic-BOW-autist lottery.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
My bet is that in RE3 remake Nemesis will not haunt around like Mr.X does in RE2 remake. It will surprise and start chasing the player in certain areas, being more faster and deadly than Mr.X is. The encounters with him will be more dynamic and unique, thanks to his weaponry and maybe added interactivity with the scenario.

In RE2 remake, Mr.X is just one of a lot of gimmicks that the game has. But RE3 remake should be built around the concept of Nemesis, just like the original game is.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
If Nemesis really was as fast and aggressive as in the original yet also able to pursue you through the game even more effectively, the game would be way too difficult (unless they make him much easier to incapacitate). I wonder how they will balance this :balance:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Rumor: Resident Evil 8 Will Be Third-Person, Might Bring Back Hook Man, Still Early In Development
  • Resident Evil 8 “will take place on a recently-abandoned island where the secret laboratory is located.”
  • The story so far is to “uncover the truth behind the creation of Eveline and more of similar bio-weapons.”
  • “Some concepts from 3.5 (hook-man) will be borrowed for 8.”
  • “Hallucinations will play a big part, getting players confused on what’s real or not.”
  • Capcom is debating on whether they want to make this a mainline game or spin-off.
  • After the praise received by Resident Evil 2, they will go with a third-person camera view.
  • Development on Resident Evil 8 started last year by a small team.
  • Capcom is also discussing Resident Evil 3 Remake internally.
  • Resident Evil 8 will be released only after Resident Evil 3 Remake is out.
  • Capcom has no interest in remaking Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6.
aw, damn. I kinda liked the idea of main numbered series going into first-person mode.
1-2-3 with fixed camera angles, 4-5-6 with over-the-shoulder third person camera, 7-8-9 first person.

Even if it's just a rumor, it sounds very plausible.

source

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I know, but I thought maybe it was a soft reboot or something, and RE2 remake was part of this rebooted universe.

Razor

Arcane
If they remove that scene where Nemesis first appears and kills Brad, the game is going to suck.

BTW, is the Brad special zombie in the RE2 remake too? In the original you could unlock him if you didnt pick up any crap on your way to the police department

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom