Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ANTHEM - failed Destiny clone from BioWare

Simple Simon

Scholar
It is really stupid think to do. Some people getting the game earlier it just means some people bitching about it earlier and thus loosing sales. Also a lot of people will just watch streamers play the game and 10 days later will be over it and not buy the game. This just fucks up that opening week rush.
The weird thing is they did this same kind of early release type thing with Mass Effect Andromeda and it completely backfired. People were like "This looks like unfinished garbage" after seeing people's impressions of the game and canceled their preorders. You have to be really confident in your product to do this kind of scheduled release. From what I saw last weekend, I am not sure that confidence is justified.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm just dying to see how badly Anthem's servers will melt this time. They even had problems with the VIP demo when they more or less knew how many people would join.

It is really stupid think to do. Some people getting the game earlier it just means some people bitching about it earlier and thus loosing sales. Also a lot of people will just watch streamers play the game and 10 days later will be over it and not buy the game. This just fucks up that opening week rush.
The weird thing is they did this same kind of early release type thing with Mass Effect Andromeda and it completely backfired. People were like "This looks like unfinished garbage" after seeing people's impressions of the game and canceled their preorders. You have to be really deeply beholden to your shareholders and bondsmen and need to show immediate return on investment to recoup whatever losses necessary on an obviously doomed confident in your product to do this kind of scheduled release. From what I saw last weekend, I am not sure that confidence is justified. sure this designed-by-committee pile of shit from a moribund, agonizing shell company is already dead in the water

J1M

Arcane
Looking forward to more codex impressions from the free demo weekend.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Obviously the talk of a 10 year plan is not about their own potential investment, it's about player investment.

They want people buying it early so they can 'get ahead' and hope they'll spend money on cosmetics, justifying it because they'll be using these for the next 10 years. If anyone playing thinks for a second that the game might die or they'll have to re-buy anything in sequels then that drastically kills that mentality and EA can't have that.

It's pretty simple, Anthem doesn't do enough for EA to bother supporting it and Bioware and they move on from the game, cashing in on initial purchases and 12 months worth of whales. I have no doubt with these sorts of games that they develop everything including the content, remove a good chunk that they'll then add into the game over 12 months so they can claim "live service" which gets people continuing to buy under the illusion they'll carry on from the game.

There's nothing to suggest this game will be a hit. There's already been a few PR disasters, it's not an existing IP like Fallout so they won't get away with it under that and above all else there's no hidden gem here, it's just a mediocre, by the numbers game that looks like it was designed by a check all boxes committee and not anyone looking to push the genre forward. Looking forward to Bioware being done after this and EA announcing Mass Effect Mobile at next years E3.
:bro:

DeepOcean

Arcane
The game will release with 3 dungeons (people beat one of those dungeons on 1 hour so we are talking of 3 hours of content here), daily repetitive quests and world events. The game will have a main story but based on the trash delivered on Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect Andromeda and what people commented on the demo, it will be probably shit, I don't expect a lengthy main campaign either as they can't focus on making a decent linear campaign AND an open world at the same time. The amount of content will be really, really small to keep people chasing bigger numbers for long.

I predict the game will sell well but those 10 millions of copies EA wants is just wishful thinking from their part... after the first month, the lack of content to keep players will run out and a massive exodus of players will start and most of those players will just move to the next big thing.

Unfortunately it wont be the end of the world for EA, they are going to sell a decent amount of copies and thorough the micro-transactions, they are going to get some millions extra until this thing will run dry. They probably lost something for not investing on the next big milk making machine to replace FIFA they are dreaming but it wont be the end of the world for them. The good news for us is that probably, Bioware is dead for good and we won't have to withstand the pits of depravity and inanity that Dragon Age 4 is promising to be.

Ebonsword

Arcane
Gameplay looks substantially worse than Mass Effect ( 3 or Andromeda, depends of preference). ME3 Multiplayer was leagues ahead of it, in number of builds and options.

This looks closer to TPS version of Dragon's Dogma: spam flashy abilities every 2 sec at overbloated healthbars.

Wait a minute. First you say it's worse than a terrible game (Mass Effect: Andromeda), but then you say it plays like one of the best ARPGs ever released (Dragon's Dogma). I confused. :? Do you think Anthem is crap or great?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Unfortunately it wont be the end of the world for EA, they are going to sell a decent amount of copies and thorough the micro-transactions, they are going to get some millions extra until this thing will run dry. They probably lost something for not investing on the next big milk making machine to replace FIFA they are dreaming but it wont be the end of the world for them. The good news for us is that probably, Bioware is dead for good and we won't have to withstand the pits of depravity and inanity that Dragon Age 4 is promising to be.

See, that's the thing. I might even give the decline a try in order to play another mediocre game from Bioware (Inquisition was a probably a notch above that while Andromeda was several notches under, for example), but this isn't even a Bioware game proper. It's just EA using them to develop a game and catch some unaware people by Bioware's now dying brand appeal. I'd love to hear how that pitch went.

So we have an idea. Could you develop our own Destiny, The Division or whatever "looter shooter" kids play these days? Wait wait, let me rephrase that - you will do what we tell you or it's the Sims salt mines for everyone.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck that shit, Gggman has gone full on shill! Youtubers are roaches,proven yet again. Here is the commercial that he made for the game.

Codex Year of the Donut

See, that's the thing. I might even give the decline a try in order to play another mediocre game from Bioware (Inquisition was a probably a notch above that while Andromeda was several notches under, for example), but this isn't even a Bioware game proper. It's just EA using them to develop a game and catch some unaware people by Bioware's now dying brand appeal. I'd love to hear how that pitch went.

So we have an idea. Could you develop our own Destiny, The Division or whatever "looter shooter" kids play these days? Wait wait, let me rephrase that - you will do what we tell you or it's the Sims salt mines for everyone.
I liked Andromeda more than Inquisition
:M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

http://blog.bioware.com/2019/01/31/hello-anthem-community/

Hello Anthem Community!
by Author -Chad RobertsonPosted on - January 31, 2019
Head of Live Service

BlogJan31_1920x1080-1200x675.jpg

Hello Anthem Community!

Thanks for being here!

We’re hard at work to be ready for our public demo weekend, starting tomorrow, 2/1. This week has been focused on improving the player experience in the demo – that focus was based on our learnings and your feedback. For those of you that played last weekend, you should see significant improvement in multiple areas over last week.

While we are confident that these changes will improve this weekend’s experience for players, we’re also cognizant that we may see recurring and new issues. Our team will again be working around the clock to deal with any problems that arise so that all players can enjoy the game. As always, you can use Answers HQ for help.

Our ongoing scale testing this week has gone well. We’re confident we are ready for the load we will see. Like last weekend, we will be prepared with more server capacity than we anticipate will be needed. However, predicting player numbers – particularly for a new game like Anthem in its first open public weekend – is very difficult. If more players decide to try the game than we anticipate, we also have systems in place to control entry rates of incoming players. This is to ensure players in the game are having uninterrupted fun and to give us time to increase capacity. If you encounter this situation, we hope you’ll be patient with us and try again later. We’ll have messaging on our servers on our server status page.

I mentioned earlier in the week that we’ve also been preparing for many weeks for our full launch. That version of the game already has a long list of things that are already fixed that did not make our demo weekends. It includes:
  • Further performance Improvements
  • Additional stability fixes
  • Fixes to inscriptions showing up incorrectly
  • Fixes to inscriptions from other Javelins being chosen
  • Fixes to disappearing customization settings
  • Fixes to XP gain behavior
  • Audio improvements
  • Improvements to PC controls, including flight and aiming
  • A Social Hub: The Launch Bay
  • And a few thousand more (literally)…
One additional comment based on what we’ve been asked on Twitter. If you are a returning VIP demo player, you’ll keep your progression from VIP weekend. That includes your Javelins, pilot level, and all gear, weapons, and customizations.

I hope to see everyone in the game starting Friday. Lastly, please be kind to the grabbits!

Stronger Together!

Chad

Previews:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-01-biowares-endgame-for-anthem
https://www.pcgamer.com/anthems-endgame-needs-work-but-im-still-gonna-play-it/
https://wccftech.com/anthem-endgame-impressions/

Loostreaks

Learned
Starting to think EA is deliberately trying to kill off Bioware with Frostbite ( knowing how poor they are at open world/streaming)
Everything in game feels so bizarrely.. segregated. Menus and loading screens are everywhere...enter into cave, wait for players, change weapons, FFS even player revive has one. The game feels nothing like initial pitch: co-op open world, freely jump in between missions, story and exploration/freeplay. It's more like different game modes next to one another, wait and back'n'forth, loading screens separating them. And copy paste locations/missions galore...this will get dull fast, even for mainstream audience.
Skyrim mod does multiplayer better.

Stronger Together!

Chad

( Lol, they're using Hillary Clinton's campaign slogan? That will go well...)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Fuck that shit, Gggman has gone full on shill! Youtubers are roaches,proven yet again. Here is the commercial that he made for the game.

Gggman had always been shit, the dude has no taste and like any shit, so not surprised.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Installed the ps4 demo, started in the hub, slow walking speed, static npcs, everyone is diverse, dialogue is cringier than anything I have seen before from bioware, dialogue choices amount to 2 choices and even so only one dialogue had choices.

Played first mission, loading screen to get into a small tunnel and the another loading screen to get back out, fly around hearing to horrible vo quest dialogue, shoot bullet sponges, Uninstalled 20 minutes after starting it up.

This shit is worse than Andromeda

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It seems that it doesn't even have a end game loop and raids :). All it have is more spongy enemies. Fuck and a few year back they were marketing this shit as a game that will revolutionize the game industry and bioware's masterpiece.
:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I've not really been keeping up with this game, but why would anyone play this over Warframe? Warframe has its problems, but it's got a whole lot more development under its belt, more customisation and a lot more systems to get to grips with.

This just looks like an extremely bare bones knock-off.

PS- fantadomat , it's 'raids' not 'rades'. ::bad spelling::

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are countless of MMORPG and MMO shooter right now, it is amazing Bioware and EA could still fuck endgame.

The sperg who play this kind of game will reach the endgame within one week you can't really plan to just "patch it in later."

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For me it's curious that the "AAA companies", so-called, keep messing up in the genres that used to be their element - brainless shooters and MMOs. So far we've seen EA screw up multiple games in a row, Bethesda's 76 clusterfuck. I wonder what's going on? Are they tightening up budgets, dev teams' numbers, and development time too much out of pure greed? Have developers gone overconfident and lazy?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
For me it's curious that the "AAA companies", so-called, keep messing up in the genres that used to be their element - brainless shooters and MMOs. So far we've seen EA screw up multiple games in a row, Bethesda's 76 clusterfuck. I wonder what's going on? Are they tightening up budgets, dev teams' numbers, and development time too much out of pure greed? Have developers gone overconfident and lazy?

MMORPGs may be a separate case where publishers tried to ape WoW and realized throwing money at the game simply won't work with the genre because you need that long term retention so they gave up, but I honestly think it's primarily losing head developers who knew what they were doing or would at least push for their vision. Bioware is more or less infamous for devs steadily leaving after Dragon Age Origins. Combine that with EA most likely promoting yes men over actual talent is how you get in their current situation.

Loostreaks

Learned
This had to have some serious reboots that we'll learn about eventually. I'm not seeing what is here that took three times manpower/dev time, next to classic, modern Bioware title.
Everything outside of traversal, loot and open world, this is step back, next to Mass Effect. And the world is a joke, next to nearly every "AAA" out there: completely barren, mismatch of different aesthetics, no ambiance, copy paste locations, along with awful performance and chok full of loading screens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom